Options

Cant Access Internet From Linksys Router WRT54G

cyberkid0101cyberkid0101 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,
I have a Linksys WRT54G Router and i configured the rotuer on a desktop machine having internet connection of type dsl cable.
I conffigured properly by putting all the ip's and DNS's. I shared the internet connection from the host machine as well.
But i cant get the internet connecton on my laptop which shows wireless connection connected and the strength is even excellent.
When i remove the Cat5 cable from WAN Port To one of the 4 lan ports , I am getting the LAN. But when i connect to WAN Port , i am not getting the internet connection.
On my laptop i am using a PCMCIA Wireless card bus (Dlink) which is installed properly.
Pls if anyone can help me.
FJEEWANI

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it has to do with the ISP trying to make it hard for you to share the internet connection with anything except the computer you configured (set up) the modem on. Try to look for a setting called "MAC Clone" or something on your router. Copy the mac address from the original computer you used to set up your modem into this field. This will cause the modem to think your router is the original computer. Then you should be able to connect any computer you want to your router and get internet access.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Don't clone the mac address!!! I would ignore the above message for now. It will create havoc for you. Did he take into perspective that you may want to still use the desktop?

With some ISP's (ie my ADSL) you need to register the mac address of your device with them... Online or call them.

You need to make sure that you have your line in from the modem into the internet/WAN port... also you may want to try plugging the Laptop cable into different ports and verify you can get the net.

I am assuming that your desktop is working fine. You may want to upgrade the firmware in the router and the drivers for your wireless card.

Do you have WEP or WPA enabled on the router? IF so, for simple testing purposed turn it off for now.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Your DSL modem is connected to the WAN port on the WRT54G, your PC is connected to one of the four switch ports, and the laptop has a wireless NIC. The PC has Internet connectivity but the laptop does not. Correct?

Can your laptop access the management menu on the WRT54G using a Web browser? The default address is 192.168.0.1. The gateway and DNS IPs of the laptop's wireless NIC should be this address too, and the laptop's IP should be on the same subnet (for example, 192.168.0.2).

Do you have any wireless security enabled on the WRT54G that's not also enabled on the laptop? This includes WEP and MAC filtering. Disable the wireless security and the laptop's firewall (if any) until you get the Internet connectivity working. Always leave the WRT54G's firewall enabled.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    jdmurray wrote:
    Your DSL modem is connected to the WAN port on the WRT54G, your PC is connected to one of the four switch ports, and the laptop has a wireless NIC. The PC has Internet connectivity but the laptop does not. Correct?

Can your laptop access the management menu on the WRT54G using a Web browser? The default address is 192.168.0.1. The gateway and DNS IPs of the laptop's wireless NIC should be this address too, and the laptop's IP should be on the same subnet (for example, 192.168.0.2).

Do you have any wireless security enabled on the WRT54G that's not also enabled on the laptop? This includes WEP and MAC filtering. Disable the wireless security and the laptop's firewall (if any) until you get the Internet connectivity working. Always leave the WRT54G's firewall enabled.
    Default for linksys is 192.168.1.1
    DLink is 192.168.0.1
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    And your netmask is 255.255.255.0? Your laptop and access point are on two different subnets. Change your laptop's IP address to be in the same subnet, such as 192.168.1.5. Don't use the same IP address on your laptop that your PC is using.