Options

WGU Starting 1 Jan 2016; BS:IT:Security Focus

Comments

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The first of 2 Taskstream assignments for Physics was submitted today. I'm really terrible at those and procrastinate quite a bit. In the meantime though, C484 (Organizational Behavior and Leadership) has been passed. This was another gimme class where I took the preassessment cold and passed by 25%, but I'd heard good things about the videos created by the course mentor so I took a day to watch (most of) them at 1.5 speed. They're pretty good (my assessment was 16 points higher than my preassessment) and pretty amusing. I may go and watch the rest just for enjoyment!
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    The second physics Taskstream assignment just got approved. Took 2 tries because I didn't explicitly state "the results met my hypothesis". My experience so far is that Taskstream definitely shows a "tell don't show" mentality. I didn't actually change anything except to reword the sentences in the failed areas to be more explicit. "THIS IS A SECOND PREVIOUS RESEARCH" "THIS IS MY HYPOTHESIS" "THIS DATA SUPPORTED MY HYPOTHESIS". Oh well; that's another 4 credits worth.

My C376 (Web Fundamentals) is sitting in Taskstream now too. I won't be terrible surprised if it gets kicked back too. It wouldn't be that terrible if they didn't also take 48-72 hours each submission to review. I shouldn't complain; the money saved doing WGU makes up for the hassle I suppose.

[UPDATE] The C376 taskstream assignment was approved too! I still have to do a second preassessment for that course, as I only scored 8% over on the first (and somehow managed to get 0 out of 7 correct regarding forms, which ended up being 10% of the possible points). I expect to do fine and get that class completed by the end of the week.

I also just noticed that completing the web course will put me past the halfway mark. I'll be at 48 completed, 47 remaining. And all in half a term. It's difficult to resist the urge to see if I can complete in one term.

Update2: 2nd preassessment passed with 89%. Assessment scheduled for 3pm. Will update (again) with results.

Update3: Test was harder than I expected (Since I've written novice html for years I didn't do a whole lot of studying), but I passed.

• Options
    To everyone who complains about the Java course C169, I'll counter with the Project+ course C176.

Scored 54% taking a cold pre-assessment. Went through the highly recommended outside plural sight course, took a second pre-assessment and scored ... 55%.

• Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    To everyone who complains about the Java course C169, I'll counter with the Project+ course C176.

Scored 54% taking a cold pre-assessment. Went through the highly recommended outside plural sight course, took a second pre-assessment and scored ... 55%.
    Just the course like, fifteen more times, and you'll be A-OK! icon_thumright.gif

Haha. But seriously, that sounds rough. Good luck!
  • Options
    cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The WGU project+ materials were updated last year. That's all I used. It wasn't too bad.
  • Options
    My thread was all the way back on page 3! I must have been slacking!

Sat the Project+ exam last night and passed with an 810 (Jess got an 832!). That completes the C176 course for another 4 credits.

I tried using the ucertify materials but ran into a lot of inconsistencies between the material and the quizzes (like the material saying a feasibility analysis is not always desirable/done, but then the quizzes saying it was a required step), and I still have several areas where it's difficult telling which is which when given similar terminologies (or two areas that use the same terminology but with different definitions). I suppose it was sufficient though, and since this area hasn't been/isn't/won't be my focus, I ultimately don't care.

With that out of the way, this leaves 2 courses remaining that Jess and I both have: C255 (intro to geography) and C179 (Business of IT - applications). Today we decide the order of doing thesebefore we work separately. We should be able to finish them this term (11 weeks remaining), and I wouldn't mind getting C175 and possibly C170 done as well (the 2 SQL courses).

I also received an email that I'll be getting some Excellence Award for my C169(Java) code submission. I don't think it ultimately means anything though.

• Options
    C179 down. Damn, but I'm glad to get that one out of the way.

• Options
    C175 (Data Management Fundamentals) is done. A pretty easy class if you've done any SQL work. I failed the first pre-assessment I took cold. Brushed up on ER-models and normalization, took a second pre-assessment that I easily passed and took the Final.

I may take the Intro to Geography (C255) tonight or tomorrow. I passed the pre-assessment well enough, and find I just can't bear the material.

• Options
    rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Greetings! Thanks for creating this thread makes me even more motivated! How many credits have you done so far? I just got accepted today bringing in 33 credits with the same emphasis.
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • Options
    I transferred in 29 credits from my certifications, and have so far completed 59 credits this term (Since Jan 1)

• Options
    C255 done.

Remaining Classes:
    C393 (IT Foundations) and C394 (IT Applications) make up the 2 exams for the A+
    C697 (Operating Systems I) and C698 (Operating Systems II) make up the 2 exams for the Linux+
    C170 (Data Management Applications) is the follow-up to the passed C175 course & requires a taskstream turnin of a database.
    C100 (Introduction to Humanities) has a taskstream turnin
    C456 (Comp II) has several taskstream turnins
    C435 (Technical Writing)
    C436 (Capstone)

• Options
    C170 is going a bit slow. Module 5 of it is a beast, but after 2 days I'm nearing the end of it. Hopefully the rest go quicker, since I'm hoping to have this finished by the end of next week (or at least sitting in the Taskstream queue).

I've been giving some thought regarding jumping to the MS:CIA immediately upon finishing. When I started it seemed like an obvious thing to do, but I'm starting to question the RoI on an extra ~6 months vs getting back into the certification game. I still have time before I need to decide but it's something to begin pondering.

• Options
    Well, the MSCIA nets you the CEH, which is a solid cert for HR filters. And you'll learn a good amount of stuff for the CISSP from the MSCIA program, to the point that you could use the degree program as a study program.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ender makes some good points. Unless you plan on going for a PHD, then you figure you'll never have to go back to school again if you finish the Masters right afterwards.
  • Options
    I hadn't considered that. CISSP is one of the certifications I've been seriously considering (to the point of having purchased the All-in-One), so hearing the courses would complement its study well will definitely have to factor in to my consideration.

• Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just finished my WGU IT Security degree this week. I debated the MS but ultimately decided to get my CISSP first. I'm planning on going back on the market by the end of the summer and I feel the cert would get me further along initially than the MS In Progress.

I'm still doing the MS (probably starting this winter) but I want to knock out the CISSP and see if work will pay for a GIAC.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thought to consider is if you ever decide to go into a management role a Master's would surely help you out. It would also cover all your bases. That is why I'm doing a Master's just to check all the boxes on the resume. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    So basically the master's is a good study source for the CISSP, and the CISSP would better prepare me for the master's.

Current status: Taskstream stalking. 93 in queue. I may schedule the objective assessment tonight.

Assuming I pass, the 2 linux+ courses/exams will be next. Since I've been using linux (debian) since the early 90's (I remember bo), I don't expect too much studying will be necessary.

• Options
    That's an interesting predicament. Take the CISSP first to be better prepared for the master's, or take the master's first to be better prepared for the CISSP. Well, at least it's a win either way haha.
  • Options
    C697 (Operating Systems I) done; I had to schedule 4 days later than I wanted, so I started working on C100 (Humanities) the last couple days. It looks like a semi-easy class, although some of the comments in the reddit threads suggest it's quite the pain. I'm hoping to finish studying over the week and test on the weekend. It's my last OA assessment I can take at home; the rest are either taskstream turnins or Pearson exams.

• Options
    C100 (Humanities) is done. I think I'm calling this term done and taking a break for the remaining 35(ish) days.

• Options
    OK I lied. I forgot how little there is to do at work, other than study or watch youtube (cinemasins and honest trailers are a fun way to waste 8 hours). Youtube isn't very productive though, so after a day of that I need to get back to the books.

With that said, C698 (Operating Systems II, which is the 2nd exam for the Linux+) was conquered last night. With my experience with linux it wasn't too difficult, but I still learned a couple new things I've actually implemented on my systems, so it wasn't the waste the 2 A+ classes that are remaining will be.

Speaking of which, I looked at what it takes to have a term cost less than the $3000ish normal, and from what I've found online second-hand, you basically have to have few enough classes that you're less than a full-time student (so less than 12). Looking at my remaining classes, if I complete both A+ classes/exams, that will put me at 11 remaining credits going into term 2. The question is whether I can do both parts of the A+ in 19 days. Challenge Accepted

• Options
    You've got this! A+ has a somewhat low cut score as well, so you could probably cram for a week and fly through it!
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man, I'm jealous of how fast you are getting this done. I wish I had the free time at work lol. I've only done 29CU's so far, and my term is up at the end of July
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    Since my last update, I managed to get the A+ 220-901 exam passed, which completed course C393 (IT Foundations). Unfortunately I also got hit with a nasty sickness I'm just now starting to get over. This threw off my ability to get the 220-902 scheduled and C394 knocked out as well, since exams have to be scheduled by the 20th which is only 4 days away. While I could try to get the Comp II tasks submitted to taskstream (I think you have until the 25th for those), I just think I'll accept that this term is basically done.

• Options
    I thought they just sent out an e-mail stating you no longer only have until the 20th, but you get until the very end of your term now. I'll see if I can find it.
  • Options
    "At WGU, we are constantly striving to improve your experience as a student. We recently updated our online assessment delivery process which has allowed us to extend our scheduling deadlines for assessments taken through Online Proctoring (OLP). You now have until the last day of your term to schedule and take your objective assessments through Online Proctoring. With this change, please keep the following in mind:
    • If you are taking your exam through Online Proctoring on the last day of the term, you must connect with a proctor before midnight Mountain Time. You can successfully connect to a proctor by clicking “Start Exam” in the Assessment Center during your scheduled exam time.
    • Always plan to schedule your final assessment as soon as possible. Failure to find an available testing option before the end of your term will result in a Not Pass for the course.
    • If you attempt and do not pass your assessment, you will be required to meet with and receive scheduling approval from a course mentor. Please plan for this by taking your assessment in the first two weeks of the sixth month of your term.
    • If a course requires you to take a third party assessment or if you plan to take your exam at a WGU-approved testing center, please ensure that you understand all scheduling requirements and deadlines. Depending on your site, you may need to schedule multiple weeks in advance."
  • Options
    C394 down with the 2nd A+ exam passed last night. That leaves 3 classes remaining.
    C456:  English Composition II
    C435:  Technical Writing
    C436:  IT Capstone Written Project

I'm not looking forward to any of them.

I also have to figure out what to do after them. I don't know if it's burnout or what, but nothing really seems all that appealing (continuing on to Master's, going back to work towards the CCIE, studying for CEH, OSCP, CASP or CISSP, etc)

• Options
    bermovick wrote: »
    C394 down with the 2nd A+ exam passed last night. That leaves 3 classes remaining.
    C456:  English Composition II
    C435:  Technical Writing
    C436:  IT Capstone Written Project

I'm not looking forward to any of them.

I also have to figure out what to do after them. I don't know if it's burnout or what, but nothing really seems all that appealing (continuing on to Master's, going back to work towards the CCIE, studying for CEH, OSCP, CASP or CISSP, etc)
    Well, those three classes will definitely get you in the mindset for the master's, since there's a lot of writing......... haha.

Probably just burnout. But you're almost done with the BS, once you finish and take a little time to relax, you'll be ready for your next step!
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Almost at the finish! Keep up the great progress.