Options

IT 'Techies'

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Just wondering what the split in male and female IT peeps is nowadays.

Without being sexist a few years ago not many females were in IT but that number seems to be on the increase.

A collegue said IT wasnt a womans job yet couldn't come up with a valid argument to back it up when questioned.

What split do you have where you work?
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• Options
    mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    5 IT guys including myself, and no woman. It would be cool if there was an IT lady in here. But no cake.
    Marcus Williamson
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say about a 90/10 split of males/females. I like the idea of women in IT simply because men and women think differently and that can only be of benefit to a very brain churning industry like IT.

However less female computer nerds need to enter the IT fields. Like there is now a lot less just computer nerds in IT amongst men.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    For my position, which isn't really IT, but field service, I think we have 650 techs, and 3 women.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Just my boss and I in our IT department.... There used to be a female in our department but she retired... She was excellent with the databases and decent with the little programming that needed to be done.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I worked with a lady...Well kind of...
  • Options
    ^^ Don't think I want to know!
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:

ha ha, we have a tranny in our building. nice guy, i mean girl. well, he had the operation and he says he is happier now. who knows.......

anyway, we only have one woman in our department and seven men.
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    We have 3 women out of 16. One of them is even the director.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    we have like 2 of 4 assistant directors
    and 2 of 20 staff members.
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    My girlfriend works with me now on Geek Squad :D
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have 8 technical folks, of them 2 are female. Neither one is what I would call a good tech. Both nice, but one is lazy and set in her ways, the other is just plain "duh" - in the wrong profession. All 6 of the guys are very good techs and know how to work. The girls just like to socialize and visit.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I don't work with any... And I have encountered a couple, they were clueless beyond belief. Not that a woman couldn't be good at the job, just the ones I have encountered were pathetic.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    Trailerisf wrote:
    I don't work with any... And I have encountered a couple, they were clueless beyond belief. Not that a woman couldn't be good at the job, just the ones I have encountered were pathetic.

Same here, I have a female co-worker and she doesn't know sh*t, last week she came over to asked how she can release/renew an ip address on a w2k box, (she is already for about 5 years in the company as well) started at the same time as me, And the best (irony) thing is she makes more $$ then I, because she has something I don't (.)(.) LOL
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.
  • Options
    d4nd4n Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:

ha ha, we have a tranny in our building. nice guy, i mean girl. well, he had the operation and he says he is happier now. who knows.......

icon_lol.gif

Same here, 'shes' a programmer.......6"3 with a adams apple, so attractive.... icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Most IT women I have worked with have been so hopeless it makes you cry that they even get to step foot in the door in the morning.

Quote from an ex female co-worker who claims to be a Network Engineer amongst other things

FC "How do I create a user in Windows 2000"

Me " In AD or on a stand alone server" pause with blank look "Active Directory - Domain"

FC "The usual way you create users for xxxxx company "

Me "Go to Active Directory Users and Computers" blank look again. I walked over to her desk and explained "Start, All programs, Administrative Tools, AD Users and Computers"

FC "Oh thats right!"

Shes also the same coworker I found reading a Programming Access 95 for dummies (This was in 2005) even though she claimed to be a programmer with 8 years experience. icon_confused.gif

Theres other reasons I really dislike her but I really do hope she loses her hands and can't touch a keyboard again.

Females tend to get around their lack of technical skills with their interpersonal skills. Read into that whatever you want icon_wink.gif

I have come across a couple of fairly competent female techs but not many
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Well guys, the women are on there way! As this is my last semester in college...I have a good number of females in my class also ready to enter the real world. Women in IT is definitely increasing!
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    We have to females in our department, both desktop support. One has a 4-year MIS degree and really knows her stuff. The other is a college drop out, after 1 semester, and technology is passing her by.

She treats the registry as a text file that she can edit whenever she sees a word that she feels doesn't belong somewhere. "I'll just go into the registry and get that out of there for you!" She tells the user...

We had a Novell consultant help us out once and this is no lie. She must have been 45 years old, reeked of cigarette smoke, and her voice was deeper then mine.

She was scary smart...knew stuff that the Novell Admin we have has never even heard of, he even gave her props. And yes, she held the coveted MCNE certification.