Options

Last hours of prep advice

g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am finishing a week long class with the exam scheduled for tomorrow. Tomorrow we have a morning review of material with the exam after lunch. Given I have hours left, where should I focus my remaining time? My study prep (started in August) so far is:

Cybrary - Watch complete series with review of some domains
Eric Conrad Study Guide - Read with detailed notes
Sybex Study Guide (Latest edition - 7th) - Read half and reviewed the second have along with my notes.
Trancenders - approximately 400 questions
CISSP Course (This week 8am - 7pm) -
  • based on the Official (ISC2) Training Guide. This has a ton of material which isn't in any of the other materials.
  • 2 - 3 hours of nightly studying this week.
  • Practice exam questions

What should I focus on this evening? tomorrow morning?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe it's too broad to pick something most important to focus on, so any advice will be more or less useless.

But still... If you have tech background repeat incident response steps, risk assessment steps.

If you are more of managerial, repeat how PKI works on a higher level (you don't have time for in-depths).

In both cases repeat how labels work and Bell-LaPadula & Biba.

Still, the chances are you might get zero questions on these on actual exam, it's just too broad to cram for in a few hours...
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My advice:

- RELAX. You've done 99% of all you can possibly do to prepare already. You've got it, you're already ready.

- Don't cram UNLESS it makes you feel more confident. Cramming does allow you to memorize more things immediately prior to an exam, but the CISSP test is not primarily a "rote memorization of the book" type of exam. Yes you need to know a lot of material, but you're equally tested on professional judgement and critical thinking within the context of a scenario where you have to apply all the stuff in the CBK. So, get plenty of sleep the night before. Don't go in brain fogged.

- Look at your practice exam feedback, find your weakest areas, and focus your study on those domains/topics.

- Before you test, a 20-30 minute nap helps; boosts cognitive performance, allows the brain to consolidate new information, transfer from short-term to long-term memory. After the nap, a little caffeine maybe.

- During the test: RELAX. A couple of hard questions is nothing in a 250-question exam. Tell yourself over and over throughout the exam, "I'm going to pass." Whatever you think about how you're doing, never ever think that you are going to fail. If you think you already failed you stop trying as hard to answer the questions correctly because part of your brain has already thrown in the towell. If you hit some tough parts, answer the best you can, move on, come back after you've answered all 250 and see if you come up with a better answer on the 2nd pass. If you're really stumped, eliminate the "most wrong" answers and pick one of the possible correct ones.

- RELAX. You've got this!
  • Options
    CLICKCLICK Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All the best. Look forward to your next post :)
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Focus on your weakest areas.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll take gespenstern's advice and focus on my weak areas such as risk, software development, Incident Response steps. A quick run through of my own notes I've worked on for months and call it an evening.

I also heavily agree with renacido's advice on being relaxed. I'll try to do something fun before bed and try to work out in the morning.

Spending so much time, energy, and sacrificing time with my family has been rough. I think this is what has built up the stress and worry.

Good luck to everyone else!!!!
  • Options
    LollyBagginsLollyBaggins Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looking forward to seeing your pass post! icon_study.gif