Norwich University MSISA Progress

Comments

• fullcrowmoonfullcrowmoon Member Posts: 172
    I'm waiting on the final grades for my second seminar (Information Assurance Technology), and I'm about to start the third seminar (Human Factors and Managing Risk). Every class so far has followed the same format. The only difference is the number of labs that you have to do. Here's my deliverable schedule for the next seminar:

Week 01: Substantive forum posts, Lab 01
    Week 02: Substantive forum posts, Lab 02, Research Paper 01 Outline
    Week 03: Substantive forum posts, Lab 03, Research Paper 01 (2k words)
    Week 04: Substantive forum posts, Lab 04
    Week 05: Substantive forum posts, Lab 05, Research Paper 02 Outline
    Week 06: Substantive forum posts, Lab 06, Research Paper 02 (2k words)
    Week 07: Substantive forum posts, Lab 07, Exam 01 (2k words) (it's basically just another paper, but in memo format w/o references)
    Week 08: Substantive forum posts, Lab 08, Final Paper Outline (they skip the outline for Research Paper 03)
    Week 09: Substantive forum posts, Lab 09, Research Paper 03 (2k words)
    Week 10: Substantive forum posts, Lab 10, Exam 02 (2k words) (same caveat)
    Week 11: Final paper (7k-10k words)

It's worth noting that this is my first seminar to have a lab every week. The first two had maybe 5 or 6 labs total.

I should get my final grade today for the seminar I just finished. I'll post it when I know.
    "It's so stimulating being your hat!"
    "... but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked."
    This is a very interesting thread. Thanks to all who have posted. I seriously considered Norwich for quite sometime but I was less interested in theory/writing and more interested in practical application so I decided to go with Champlain College's MS in Information Security Operations program.

I'm interested in practical application as well, so I think once I'm done with this program and have the degree in hand, I might go for my OSCP.
  • FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got a 90% on the final paper. IMO, the professor took it very easy on me. The content of the papers seems to matter much more than the actual word count so far, which I'm grateful for.
    I'm interested in practical application as well, so I think once I'm done with this program and have the degree in hand, I might go for my OSCP.

I plan to do the same after graduation. My concentration is pen testing, so the timing should be right. Many of our InfoSec team have recently completed it here.
    Rumblr33 wrote: »
    About to embark on the Foundations and Historical Underpinnings of Information Assurance next week. I am currently trying to get a head start on a few things. How is the progress for my fellow Norwich students? What are the concentrations you all decided choose?

I originally chose cyber crime / critical infrastructure, but due to resources available at work switched to vulnerability management. It looks like six months of (possibly brutal) fun. Your concentration isn't set in stone until shortly before your final two classes begin, so don't sweat it too much.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
    Survived the first paper of IA Tech. How's everyone else doing?
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646

I wish there was a Blue Team cert similar to OSCP. I'm not as interested in Red Team... at least not interested enough to pursue a cert as rigorous as OSCP when I don't every really plan to go down that career path.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
    I just turned in my first paper for GI532 Human Factors & Managing Risk. The professor for this one is so much better than my Info Ass Tech seminar. I pulled my A for it, but it was such a pain in the butt.

My current scorecard:
    GI512A Foundations & Historical Underpinnings of Info Ass - A
    GI522L Info Ass Tech - A
    GI532A Human Factors & Managing Risk - in progress
    Info Ass Mgmt & Analytics - TBD
    Computer Security Incident Response Team Management - TBD
    Computer Forensic Investigation - TBD

I'm trying to study up for the CISM as well. I take that exam on June 11th. So much to do, so little time!
  • Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just submitted my first paper for Foundations and Historical Underpinnnings of IA. The content is very good and getting classmates to become more involved with the discussions are fun. Feels like time is flying. Already looking forward to June 2017. Also trying to see if I can squeeze some SANS training out of my employer between now and then.
    Definitely planning to take advantage of the VMware licensing. Last week was a busy week and I started the lab too late - this one was the first that was an assignment instead of the JBL lab. They basically snuck another paper in. crash.gif

Oh well, plan ahead and read the assignments. Is everyone planning to do the CISSP review? I'm thinking early 2017 during the electives may be the best time.
    FSF150 wrote: »
    Definitely planning to take advantage of the VMware licensing. Last week was a busy week and I started the lab too late - this one was the first that was an assignment instead of the JBL lab. They basically snuck another paper in. crash.gif

Oh well, plan ahead and read the assignments. Is everyone planning to do the CISSP review? I'm thinking early 2017 during the electives may be the best time.

I've got my CISSP so no worries there, but I'm definitely grabbing the VMWare licensing. I'm in the third class now - Human Factors and Managing Risk - and ALL of the labs so far have been written. I've completed 5/10 of them. You're right, it's essentially another paper. :P
    I've got my CISSP so no worries there, but I'm definitely grabbing the VMWare licensing. I'm in the third class now - Human Factors and Managing Risk - and ALL of the labs so far have been written. I've completed 5/10 of them. You're right, it's essentially another paper. :P

Yeah, I honestly ragequit on that "lab" and submitted it half done (just answered the direct questions, skipped the "discuss this, discuss that"). The DoD site navigation brought out my inner demons - that's part of the USN I don't miss!

This class so far looks like a reversal of my previous class, I'm looking forward to the papers themselves (the prompts are clearer, I believe, with better guidance), and the week-to-week stuff less so. Last class I loved the labs more than anything else.

Onward!
    How is everyone's progress? I am cruising. Doing assignments at the beginning of the week have helped me tremendously. I am curious to see where this will lead me once I have completed the degree. Hope it's going well for everyone. Week 7 in Foundations & Historical Underpinnings of Info Ass, almost done with this course.
    How is everyone's progress? I am cruising. Doing assignments at the beginning of the week have helped me tremendously. I am curious to see where this will lead me once I have completed the degree. Hope it's going well for everyone. Week 7 in Foundations & Historical Underpinnings of Info Ass, almost done with this course.

I'm doing well enough, job situation changed recently so I'm moving to a industry case study rather than employer mid-seminar (always fun).

I, too, am trying to start the assignments early. Still have had my share of 11:54PM submissions. icon_redface.gif
  • nikgeniusnikgenius Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

Thanks for you post which helped me in exploring Norwich University and Champlain College MSISO program. I have applied to both the institutions for summer term and waiting for a decision. Since you are already studying at Champlain college in MSISO program, I would appreciate if you could share your experience regarding the courses and program in general.

Feel free to email me at nikhil@healthyit.ca

Thanks
    Nik

Hello,

Thanks for you post which helped me in exploring Norwich University and Champlain College MSISO program. I have applied to both the institutions for summer term and waiting for a decision. Since you are already studying at Champlain college in MSISO program, I would appreciate if you could share your experience regarding the courses and program in general.

Feel free to email me at nikhil@healthyit.ca

Thanks
    Nik
    Has anyone explored Champlain College's Online Master of Science in Information Security Operations? Debating between Norwich University's MSISA and Champlain College MSISO.

nikgenius wrote: »
    Has anyone explored Champlain College's Online Master of Science in Information Security Operations? Debating between Norwich University's MSISA and Champlain College MSISO.

All I can tell you is that I've been very happy with the Norwich program so far. The faculty and the people who run the MSISA program are extremely responsive.
    Well, finishing up another semester. Unfortunately, due to a layoff and subsequent job hunt I've given less attention to this semester than I would have liked. Still enjoyed the class and learned some more things. The Toolwire labs are still my favorite part. With the volume of papers I do sometimes feel as if I'm writing the same paper 3 times with minor differences, but you're learning something new each time and definitely hammering the learning objectives of each class home.

Everyone doing well? The fact that I'm in this program at all has already helped bring some positive attention on the job hunt! Still very glad I chose this route.
    All I have left for my third seminar is the final paper. I'm looking forward to being halfway done!
    I have a test aka another paper to write and my final 7000-10000 word paper. Looking forward to the next class.
  • snakeuptilitsnakeuptilit Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone heading to Residency this june?
    Anyone heading to Residency this june?

I think we're all scheduled for the 2017 one. Give us a report if you're going! icon_thumright.gif
    I finished the third core class, and now I'm busy second-guessing my concentration choice while I have a two-week break. Here's the link to the curriculum. Give me y'all's thoughts on the available concentrations:

http://online.norwich.edu/degree-programs/masters/master-science-information-security-assurance/curriculum

Current scorecard:
    GI512A Foundations & Historical Underpinnings of Info Ass - A
    GI522L Info Ass Tech - A
    GI532A Human Factors & Managing Risk - A
    GI542L Info Ass Mgmt & Analytics - in progress
    GI554A Computer Security Incident Response Team Management - TBD
    GI551L Computer Forensic Investigation - TBD
    Honestly I think CSIRT Management is a great class for a future CISO. I'd like to do your concentration AND the Vulnerability Management one. I went with vulnerability management just because I think it's a great opportunity to learn that kind of stuff and launchpad into OSCP.

How was human factors? Please tell me you got to rant about lusers for three months. icon_lol.gif
    Honestly I think CSIRT Management is a great class for a future CISO. I'd like to do your concentration AND the Vulnerability Management one. I went with vulnerability management just because I think it's a great opportunity to learn that kind of stuff and launchpad into OSCP.

How was human factors? Please tell me you got to rant about lusers for three months. icon_lol.gif

Basically, yeah. :) But there was also a lot about risk assessment and management, for when the users don't adore your brand spanking new Security Training and Awareness Program. :P
    I am thinking about changing my concentration too. I currently want to complete the Vulnerability Management concentration, but I work on the Incident Response team. FullCrowMoon, I would say it ultimately depends on how you want your career to continue to progress. You are half way there. Almost done. By the way, how is the Information Assurance Technology course? I have this one starting on June 6th.
    I am thinking about changing my concentration too. I currently want to complete the Vulnerability Management concentration, but I work on the Incident Response team. FullCrowMoon, I would say it ultimately depends on how you want your career to continue to progress. You are half way there. Almost done. By the way, how is the Information Assurance Technology course? I have this one starting on June 6th.

Since you work incident response you'll probably have a better time with IA Tech than I did. I'm a policy guy, so it took more reading for me to stay on top of things (and frankly I never quite figured out where I was going with the final paper). If you're familiar with designing and defending a network perimeter you'll be a step ahead of me.

I lost access to my work resources halfway through and that was like running headlong into a brick wall. They knew their stuff and could break it down barney style for me, so they were a big help for the first part. You shouldn't have that problem.
    Enjoying human factors so far. Labs have been nixed for this class, from all the feedback that seems to be a good decision. Guess I'll need to make sure my papers are up to par.
    Enjoying human factors so far. Labs have been nixed for this class, from all the feedback that seems to be a good decision. Guess I'll need to make sure my papers are up to par.

I had 10 labs when I took Human Factors, which was the last seminar I completed. I hope it was my feedback that nixed the labs. They were inaccurate and annoying, plus searching on just about any phrase brought you to all kinds of **** sites with answers for the various labs. It was crazy and I told them so.
    I had 10 labs when I took Human Factors, which was the last seminar I completed. I hope it was my feedback that nixed the labs. They were inaccurate and annoying, plus searching on just about any phrase brought you to all kinds of **** sites with answers for the various labs. It was crazy and I told them so.

The professor seems to have agreed with you. Again, my thanks to you both. icon_lol.gif

The **** sites are all over the place, it seems that those labs are pretty common in undergrad programs. The ones I ran into were rarely answered at a graduate level (if correctly at all) so that limits the impact on Norwich, I think.

How's analytics?
    The professor seems to have agreed with you. Again, my thanks to you both. icon_lol.gif

The **** sites are all over the place, it seems that those labs are pretty common in undergrad programs. The ones I ran into were rarely answered at a graduate level (if correctly at all) so that limits the impact on Norwich, I think.

How's analytics?

I can't really say as yet, because I spent the first two weeks of it traveling - first a boot camp for the CISM exam that I took on June 11th and am praying I passed, and then work travel in Atlanta the very next week. The professor seems nice, but I've got some catch up to do before I write my first paper that's due Saturday. So far it's a lot of compliance - HIPAA, SOX, FISMA - if it's got an acronym and has a lot of annoying rules, it's there. I hope the entire class isn't like that!