Options

Masters in cybersecurity - online options

haribolharibol Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi All,

I am working with a large firm in IT program management area. I want to switch to security and information assurance field. I am looking for online masters program in cybersecurity and considering UTICA college and UMUC.edu online cybersecurity programs. Looking for feedback regarding UTICA cyber security program. Program looks good but college is not popular. UTICA admission department says that college has accreditation with NSA, department of homeland security etc but lots of college claim that. I do not have high expectations from online masters program but it should be good utilization from time and money. please give feedback , if you are in cybersecurity field or aware about UTICA college and cybersecurity program. thanks

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Utica College, Utica NY. It's on the 'other' Information Assurance list: https://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/

It seems that NSA is changing their CAE program but slower to change the website, so maybe that's why it's on the new list and not the old list. Strangely UMUC isn't on the new list, UMBC and UMCP are on the new list, though.

They're all on the Cyber Defense list: https://www.iad.gov/nietp/reports/cae_designated_institutions.cfm

The CAE designation is worth something. A lot of places do have it, but not everywhere. It's probably worth your while digging in and reading up on the programs, what courses are, requirements etc, maybe look at the faculty teaching and see what their backgrounds are like. See if you can get a textbook list, and have a look at some of the textbooks.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a Utica alum and can't recommend it enough. My degree is in the Information Assurance track of the Cybersecurity program. It's affordable, the instructors are awesome, and it's got CAE designation. If you're worried about the small school name, Syracuse University will also be printed on your diploma since Utica is/was a part of Syracuse. Let me know if I can answer any specifics.
  • Options
    eric.thomaseric.thomas Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What kind of job do you have currently??
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    jt2929 wrote: »
    I'm a Utica alum and can't recommend it enough. My degree is in the Information Assurance track of the Cybersecurity program. It's affordable, the instructors are awesome, and it's got CAE designation. If you're worried about the small school name, Syracuse University will also be printed on your diploma since Utica is/was a part of Syracuse. Let me know if I can answer any specifics.

"Although the College became a financially and legally independent institution in 1995, UC announced its final transition to full independence in the fall of 2008."

Did you graduate before 2008?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    "Although the College became a financially and legally independent institution in 1995, UC announced its final transition to full independence in the fall of 2008."

Did you graduate before 2008?

Nope, 2013.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jt2929 wrote: »

Was this a traditional 2 or 3 year program?
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    matai wrote: »
    Was this a traditional 2 or 3 year program?

Traditional 2 year program, with the exception of it being completely online.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I cannot really recommend UMUC (I graduated with Cybersecurity Policy in 2012). The program was okay at first. My employer, at the time, helped them to establish the program and we had classes that were full of folks from our company (exclusive). These were great as my employer has a high bar for employment and people took things seriously. Once I got to the second half of the program, everything started to fall apart. The folks that were admitted into the program didn't seem to have the ability to write at a high school level, let alone a graduate level; this was a huge problem for me because we had a lot of group work and I spent so much time rewriting others work so that I wouldn't suffer. Also, I had a significant problem getting a background investigation (not a security clearance, which I already had) completed because UMUC did not have the national clearinghouse updated properly; I actually had a job offer rescinded because of it, but I got them to open it back up and finally got things cleared up (it took a month).

Also, from a cost perspective... it was very costly for what it was. I got a significant discount through my employer and they covered about 75% of the program, but still... that list price is outrageous for the value provided.

I have considered taking another course or two there (in one of their other Cybersecurity programs) just because I could get them paid for by work and it is easy CPEs for my CISSP, but I have passed on it to date. The only other valuable thing to consider is that you can do an MBA with just three more courses if you one of their Cybersecurity MS programs (the courses are six credit hours, so that are hefty). I wouldn't do that ever unless I just needed a checkbox as I think an MBA is one of those degrees where it matters where you went to school (because it is more about the networking and prestige than the education, in my opinion).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Once I got to the second half of the program, everything started to fall apart. The folks that were admitted into the program didn't seem to have the ability to write at a high school level, let alone a graduate level; this was a huge problem for me because we had a lot of group work and I spent so much time rewriting others work so that I wouldn't suffer.

This is true. You get back from it what you put into it, but the problem is every class has a bunch of forced group work and the success of your final project relies on people that often can barely communicate in English, either for lack of good communication skills or the fact that English really is their second language.

I did have some great professors and do keep in touch with some of my fellow classmates, but most of my time spent there in my MS:IT was working down to someone else's level. It's part of the reason I'm looking at Penn State WC or Boston University instead of following on with UMUC for a second masters.

It's a good program and I don't regret going, but their insistence on so much group work made me look elsewhere.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of the best degrees I found is from Champlain College MSDFS. Yes it is digital forensic science but it applies just about anywhere in Cybersecurity. Check out the program. Heavy on the hands on work and lots of lab instruction.
  • Options
    haribolharibol Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I talked to few alumni from UTICA cyber security programs. They all had very good feedback about college. Admission counselor is also very helpful. Course contents are also good. I am not sure, how much hands on practical topics will they cover? Can you please comment on that?
    My main concern is related to the size and popularity of college. College provides variety of programs like nursing, accounting etc. not sure, how good they are in technical courses. It seems new degrees will not have name of Syracuse University. I am living in WA,not many people knows here about the UTICA college. There are many colleges providing online MS program in Cybersecurity. Selecting best option is a challenge.
  • Options
    Depending on the track you take (information assurance vs. forensics), the hands on experience will differ. I was in the IA track and I had a few hands on classes that used wireshark and some other tools, but the forensics folks get more hands on. Their technical courses are very good and all taught by experienced professionals in their field. The NY State Police has a forensics lab in Utica and some of the instructors work there. I wouldn't worry too much about the name. If an employer is concerned about it, they will look into it and see the credentials for themselves.
  • Options
    nikgeniusnikgenius Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone explored Champlain College's Online Master of Science in Information Security Operations (MSISO)? Debating between Norwich University's MSISA (Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance) and Champlain College's MSISO.

Which would would you pick and why?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Relax! Cross/double posting the same thing so much won't achieve much.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    University of South Florida (public, state uni) has a Masters in Cybersecurity with four specializations including Cyberintelligence.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Relax! Cross/double posting the same thing so much won't achieve much.

Sorry, deleted the duplicate post.

Cheers !
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Southern Utah University has a new online Masters in Cyber Security program. I haven't taken it, but I met some of their staff at the US West Cyber Camp last summer and they seem to be dedicated to security.

http://catalog.suu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=8&poid=2668
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Utica College, Utica NY. It's on the 'other' Information Assurance list: https://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/

It seems that NSA is changing their CAE program but slower to change the website, so maybe that's why it's on the new list and not the old list. Strangely UMUC isn't on the new list, UMBC and UMCP are on the new list, though.

They're all on the Cyber Defense list: https://www.iad.gov/nietp/reports/cae_designated_institutions.cfm

The CAE designation is worth something. A lot of places do have it, but not everywhere. It's probably worth your while digging in and reading up on the programs, what courses are, requirements etc, maybe look at the faculty teaching and see what their backgrounds are like. See if you can get a textbook list, and have a look at some of the textbooks.
    Universities were granted accreditation for X number of years and even though there is a transition, they still maintain their accreditation through that period. With that being said, you probably see schools who will wait for that old accreditation to expire before they do any major rehaul for the new accreditation.
  • Options
    JB3 wrote: »
    Southern Utah University has a new online Masters in Cyber Security program. I haven't taken it, but I met some of their staff at the US West Cyber Camp last summer and they seem to be dedicated to security.

http://catalog.suu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=8&poid=2668

You might want to check out Master of Science in Information Security Operations offered by Champlain College.

Online Master's in Information Security | Champlain College Online
  • Options
    haribol wrote: »
    hi All,
    I am working with a large firm in IT program management area. I want to switch to security and information assurance field. I am looking for online masters program in cybersecurity and considering UTICA college and UMUC.edu online cybersecurity programs. Looking for feedback regarding UTICA cyber security program. Program looks good but college is not popular. UTICA admission department says that college has accreditation with NSA, department of homeland security etc but lots of college claim that. I do not have high expectations from online masters program but it should be good utilization from time and money. please give feedback , if you are in cybersecurity field or aware about UTICA college and cybersecurity program. thanks

You might want to check out Master of Science in Information Security Operations offered by Champlain College.
    Online Master's in Information Security | Champlain College Online
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Definitely look at DSU! I was accepted (though I went somewhere else) and my boss is currently in their Doctorate of Cybersecurity program.

Master of Science in Information Assurance and Computer Security | Dakota State University

Master of Science in Applied Computer Science | Dakota State University <---programming based and one of the few NSA-CAE's in Cyber Operations
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Master of Science in Cyber Security/Information Security vs/or an MBA (Information Security/Cybersecurity) ? Why? Why not?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Depends on where you want your career to go. Want to manage a information security team or be a C-level security exec? Go for the MBA. Want to do the job for a few more years and then move into a leadership based role? Cyber Security is the route to go.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    I cannot really recommend UMUC (I graduated with Cybersecurity Policy in 2012). The program was okay at first. My employer, at the time, helped them to establish the program and we had classes that were full of folks from our company (exclusive). These were great as my employer has a high bar for employment and people took things seriously. Once I got to the second half of the program, everything started to fall apart. The folks that were admitted into the program didn't seem to have the ability to write at a high school level, let alone a graduate level; this was a huge problem for me because we had a lot of group work and I spent so much time rewriting others work so that I wouldn't suffer. Also, I had a significant problem getting a background investigation (not a security clearance, which I already had) completed because UMUC did not have the national clearinghouse updated properly; I actually had a job offer rescinded because of it, but I got them to open it back up and finally got things cleared up (it took a month).

Also, from a cost perspective... it was very costly for what it was. I got a significant discount through my employer and they covered about 75% of the program, but still... that list price is outrageous for the value provided.

I have considered taking another course or two there (in one of their other Cybersecurity programs) just because I could get them paid for by work and it is easy CPEs for my CISSP, but I have passed on it to date. The only other valuable thing to consider is that you can do an MBA with just three more courses if you one of their Cybersecurity MS programs (the courses are six credit hours, so that are hefty). I wouldn't do that ever unless I just needed a checkbox as I think an MBA is one of those degrees where it matters where you went to school (because it is more about the networking and prestige than the education, in my opinion).

I second this statement. At least at the masters level I don't think I could personally recommend UMUC. I'm currently finishing up my second summer semester in the Information Assurance program. The workload is mainly geared towards academic writing so group projects become pretty worrisome when your team members can barely write an APA format paper.
  • Options
    Bingo.

As a follow up to my original post, I was accepted to the PSU Masters but turned it down because I was admitted to a law program.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Gess <== that was my nickname in IRC in 1998..... icon_mrgreen.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Mine was 'Intrepid'.

Google Hangouts killed my IRC room. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    fullcrowmoonfullcrowmoon Member Posts: 172
    I chose Norwich based on the Ponemon Institute's report from 2014 - something they did at HP's request. They were ranked 2nd (at the time) and the cost isn't impossible, given the quality. Work pays 8k per year towards education and I'll cover the last 9k or so out of my own pocket.

http://www.ponemon.org/local/upload/file/2014%20Best%20Schools%20Report%20FINAL%202.pdf

There's also a thread in this forum where I've been detailing my time through the MSISA program - other people are contributing, too. It might help to read that?

Good luck with choosing!
    "It's so stimulating being your hat!"
    "... but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked."