Options

Anyone here in Dakota State University's DSc. Cyber Security?

DrVictorinoDrVictorino Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looking for someone currently attending Dakota State University? I'm interested in their DSc. Cyber Security and I'm looking for any advice on how to get in. I have 7+ years in InfoSec and a CISSP. Currently at Security Engineer at a large tech company. My concern is that my Bachelor's is from WGU(IT-Security)

Comments

• Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    What exactly are you concerned about? WGU is a regionally accredited school, that's all that matters. A delivery method of course material is irrelevant...
  • Options
    DrVictorinoDrVictorino Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry seems you misunderstood me. From DSU's website it states " U.S. Students must have a bachelors or master’s degree in computer science." It's not about WGU rather specifically in their requirements for computer science and my degree is in IT. That's why I'm looking for someone that might be in the program
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Oh gotcha.... That definitely makes more sense now. Generally speaking, when there is specifically a computer science degree requirement there are prerequisites that need to be fulfilled before starting the program. I have friends that have been admitted to programs with similar requirements and were conditionally accepted into the program where they began school with those prereq's upfront.

In my experience when they ask for computer science they are after the math and some programming classes (usually the common object oriented programming classes like C++ and .net).

Realistically because everyone has a unique situation the only one that can truly answer your question is the enrollment counselor.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My boss is in the DSc at DSU albeit he had a BS in a computer science like program and completed a large number of graduate credits in computer science. You can apply and they will tell you if you need to complete a series of pre-reqs in order to start. Be aware that even if you complete a large number of credits from the Masters in Applied Computer Science they will not award you the Masters if you are in the DSc.

I would say your best bet would be to apply for the MSACS and then go for the DSc. From my conversations with my boss the DSc is very intense and if you don't have a very solid programming background you won't make it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    saajngsaajng Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch . Are you still in this forum? I just got admitted into DSc Cyber Security program of DSU. I will like to get some information from you.
  • Options
    saajngsaajng Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch . Are you still in this forum? I just got admitted into DSc Cyber Security program at DSU. I will like to get some information from you.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Did they make you complete any comp sci classes like programming or data structures? Also, any idea if master's level classes in cyber security from a different university can transfer over? Again, congrats!
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup I'm still around. They are going to want you to have foundational Comp Sci courses so if you don't have that you'll have to take those courses through them. Their DSc program will admit you with just a BS, but you'll then have to complete all the Master's course work. Please note that if you went from BS to DSc even though you complete the Master's program you do not receive the Master's degree only the Doctorate.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    kbitzkbitz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    saajng wrote: »
    the_Grinch . Are you still in this forum? I just got admitted into DSc Cyber Security program at DSU. I will like to get some information from you.

How and when were you notified? Email / Snailmail? I'm waiting to hear back. I'm beginning to assume I wasn't accepted since it's been a while.