Options

Hushmail or mail.com

ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm looking for an alternative to hotmail and was considering some alternatives.

1. Hushmail - Like the encryption features.
2. Mail.com - Fewer encryption features, but a customizable email address would be nice.
3. Or does anybody recommend a different service?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need to look into the stability of the organization providing the service. One of the reasons why mail from Microsoft, Google, and Yahoo are such big players is because it's extremely unlikely that the users of these e-mail services will ever have to change services due to the service closing.

I have never heard of these services before you mentioned them. How long have they been around? Are they free? Is there a paid premium version? How do they make their revenue? What options do you have for communicating with their mail servers (ie pop3, imap, smtp, or simply web)? Are they associated with a greater organization? How financially healthy is that greater organization?

Changing e-mail addresses is a huge pain in the butt. I would only pick one that I figure would still be operating twenty years later.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Are you looking for an alternative for yourself or for a company you work for? Personally, I use protonmail. It's a great online mail client that provides end-to-end encryption. I haven't heard of mail.com, but I have heard of hushmail. I've never used it though.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hushmail has been around for a long time; I remember using them back in early 2000 and loved it. It's a paid service but at the time felt it was worth it until I didn't. I guess in hindsight, it's a worthy service.

Update: One thing I forgot to mention. If you are wanting to use this for your ONLY email, I wouldn't. I remember when I used it, I couldn't use for everything because sometimes when I had to provide an email address, the business or whoever, wouldn't accept it as legitimate. This may have changed over the years but I'm not sure. You may want to look into that more or have a "Spam" email account.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    hotmail? mail .com??? It's not 1998 anymore!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL, that was kind of my thoughts but didn't know if anyone actually used them anymore.
  • Options
    Funny. Actually, I have had that email address since about 1999 or so. Mostly getting tired of the new Outlook interface where I can only have about 1/3 of the screen for messages and 2/3 for ads. Plus, it's Micro****.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I can't believe anyone who works in IT hasn't heard of these sites...

I recommend protonmail (and I actually use it too).
  • Options
    si20 wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone who works in IT hasn't heard of these sites...

I recommend protonmail (and I actually use it too).

Thanks. Waiting for a protonmail account.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    hotmail? mail .com??? It's not 1998 anymore!

I only use a hotmail account to to sign up for junk stuff and thats because i had it since my early days of computing. Anything meaningful goes to my gmail or outlook
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Yeah when I signed up for protonmail, you would be setup in a queue because they were still in beta when I signed up. I still think it's the same process now. Great mail client though, highly recommended. They did get DDoS'ed a little while back and were taken down for a couple days, but they're still managing and doing better than ever, considering the team isn't that large. You can't go wrong with protonmail!