Options

Cyber Security Advice. Where to begin?

CybahguyCybahguy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey folks,
I am new to the forum so bare with me.

I am looking to enter the world of cyber security. It has been a great interest of mine for the last couple of years, but I have been conflicted on where to begin. I have experience in computers, troubleshooting, digital editing and imaging. I have a bachelors degree in communications and just looking for a career change.

I have been looking at a few different schools: University of Phoenix has a Information Assurance Certificate program. SNHU for a Masters in Cyber Security. UMUC for Masters in Cyber Security.

With zero experience, will a Masters degree be WAY over my head? Should I get a foundation with Univ of Phoenix? Study on my own and get a certification?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CybahGuy (yes I'm from Boston)

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't got a to for-profit school like Phoenix, that's a waste of your time and money.

I don't see how a Masters would help you right now. Certs would be a much better use of your time.

What type of IT experience do you have? Infosec isn't something you can typically just hop into.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Cool nick name, king of rings a bell icon_smile.gif

I agree with markulous, experience/certs should be your focus right now. What kind of role do you have right now?

And before I forget...

bare: uncover a part of the body or other thing and expose it to view
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have much IT experience. I've been in sales and consulting for the last 10 years or so. This would be new for me.
  • Options
    Try to find a SOC job, but you may need to settle on a help desk job, which is perfectly fine. It's experience and depending on the help desk you can get a lot of it.

While you're applying, the CompTIA trio is a good start (A+, N+, S+).
  • Options
    Thanks for that advice. I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    tippet5xtippet5x Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello
    if not phoenix, what would you suggest. self study?
    I was looking at their Security Cert.
  • Options
    Get a cert then WGU. Way better program and it's also non-profit and way cheaper.
  • Options
    I keep hearing good things about WGU. I may look into that also.