Options

Passed CISSP Dec 8

Me86Me86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Here is the famous post that I have been longing to write for a couple of months now:

Background:
Most of my background is in IT audit and I passed the CISA last year.
The CISA helped me obtain basic knowledge in each part of the 8 domains in the CISSP CBK but at a high level so I wasn't totally unfamiliar with the material.

Study Material:
Shon Harris' latest AIO:
My 2 weakest domains were Telco and Security Architecture and Design (as per the old domains). I thoroughly read these 2 chapters in this book to understand the basics.
It too me quite some time but helped me understand each different concepts independently.

Official ISC² CBK
After reading those two chapters I started running out of time so I decided to continue studying with the official CBK to be sure to be up to date with the new material.
I read this book from end to end.

Sybex Official Guide 7th edition:
Now this book is one I really recommend.
Reading it after the Shon Harris and Official guide is what helped me get the big picture and put the pieces of the puzzle together and link the different concepts together. It has all the material you need to pass the exam.

The cybrary videos are on point. Kelly is an excellent teacher. She explains very well and gives tips on what to expect/what areas to focus on.
Questions:
Cccure: (Helpful but sometimes the questions don't make sense and are not written in proper english so it can get quite a bit frustrating at times). Otherwise the explanations are great.
Shon Harris: Great material but doesn't take into account the new added material (BYOD, IoT etc)
Sybex: Flashcards are not bad and the questions are about the material.

This is just my personal opinion, everyone has their preferences and their study methods.
I actively read the books, meaning that I took notes (I had maybe 30 pages of notes), learned some of the material by heart and really tried to understand the concepts, their purpose, when to apply them, what risks they brought to the environment, how to use them in a secure way.
At the end of the day what is important is really important in my opinion is to know the concepts and how, when and where they are applied.
And yes, it has been said before, think like a manager (big picture).

The exam is long, don't get discouraged, don't give up even if you have the ipression that you are failing, you can do it!
I studied on and off for a year :
February+March+April -> Shon Harris for my weak areas
May+September+October -> Official Guide
November up to December 7th -> Sybex
I did the practice questions in parralel.
Last but not least, a big thank you to everyone that posted information, encouragements and passed threads. IT really motivated me.
Sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I have the Sybex 7th too it is a really good book. What's next for you?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Thanks!
    Nothing for me for a little while. This CISSP took waaay too much of my time.
    I am just going to breathe for a while and enjoy life.
    I passed ITIL v3 in January. That + the CISSP is enough for me for the moment.
    What about you ?
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sounds like a great plan! Right now I'm studying for the CCNA moreso than the CISSP because I am enrolled in the Cisco Netacad classes at my university, so I think I may take the CCNA, then CEH, then CISSP. Enjoy your holidays!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Good luck danny069.
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Hopefully you have time to relax now.
  • Options
    selim2010selim2010 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations