Options

Job offer but salary less than expected

Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, just looking for some advice here from you fine people. Was offered a job earlier that I would love to accept, company looks decent and help with training/IT certs which I've not had before. However, their offer has come back below what we discussed salary wise both before and during the interview. Is there room for manoeuvre here do you think, as I feel that I'm being taken advantage of particularly as the new job is a further drive than my current one. Have you guys experienced anything similar and if so how did you fare?

Comments

• Options
    PS- I've gone back to them saying I would like to accept the offer and work there etc but as per previous discussions I need the salary to be {insert £s here}
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And what was there reaction ? If they discussed a a salary before they should meet you around that point
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed with dsgm. If you aren't willing to go below a certain number and/or you think it's an unfair pay (especially when you agreed on a number beforehand) remind them what your range is.
  • Options
    Thanks guys that's what I've done so will see what they come back with- guess I'm just worried the job will go to someone willing to accept it for less cash. As good as the job and company are, I know what I'm worth and have a family to support. Hopefully they will do the right thing rather than trying to low ball me!
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is the offer competitive for that role in your market? If it's not, ask them to explain why not. Maybe their budget is tight, but they can offer you something else to compensate indirectly, such as extra paid leave, telecommuting, bonuses, flex time, etc. If they can't or won't agree to your desired compensation, simply say, "thanks but if my requested salary is not in your budget I must decline," and move on. If their offer is in the range of salaries for that role in that area, you may need to relocate or adjust your expectations. Look for a variation or specialization of that job that you're qualified for as well. There are lots of niche specializations within IT that pay well above the average for the mainstream equivalent.
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    The salary negotiation is a complicated art form. For me with no experience and desperate for a job, I accepted the offer right away. If you know that you're marketable and valuable you should try to be firm about salary expectations to a point. You can't expect the employer to just agree to any crazy figure you want. But the fact that they said one amount beforehand and now are going back on it I think you should stand firm to at least that amount.

Hope it works out
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Stick to what you think is right for you. Especially if previously discussed.
    You are a person but you are also a brand you are selling to them. You know what you cost.
  • Options
    aschenbecheraschenbecher Member Posts: 27 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if the employer is willing to pay for your certifications and training you then you should consider the money your wont be making as investment.

On the job training and company paid certifications is the best deal you could get.

My advise. Dont push too hard.

Let them take a little advantage of you. You return the favor by getting certifications, Training and experience and make yourself more valuable.

after 1 year , find a much better job.
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another thing to consider is your current state of employment and other prospects.

If you're unemployed, have few other prospects, and this may be the last offer you receive for a considerable time, it would be better to accept an offer below your salary expectation and work toward building your qualifications toward a better job while this job pays the bills. After you've improved your marketability you can look for better work elsewhere, and since you'll have a steady income you can afford to be more selective then.

One universal truth: You are always more marketable while you're gainfully employed.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you feel the offer is too low now, you'll probably not feel better about it in 6 months.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    See what they say. What are the benefits like? Is education benefits given as well? Ask about the whole thing.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    You are under no obligations to accept less than what you want. If they want to play silly buggers, then restate your position and wait. Either they agree, or they don't. If they don't, then it is possibly a good indication that they are not for you. You can't work somewhere that doesn't respect you.

I think in IT, we are far too nice, and consequently get undervalued. When you stick to your guns, you are doing everyone in IT a favour. I appreciate it.

Hopefully, it's all just a misunderstanding.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    If you feel the offer is too low now, you'll probably not feel better about it in 6 months.

Definitely think about this. What are you going to think of the salary in 6 months? One year? Two years? We all know once you're on the inside you're less likely to get big bumps. Gotta get it when you come on board.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys, appreciated. Will see what they come back with but I'm currently employed and know what I'm worth.

Just to put it into perspective, the offer as it stands is less than discussed and if I took it I would be a couple of £1000 worse off than I am currently due to increased petrol costs, childcare and such like. Certs and training are nice but I have a family to support and can't take a pay cut, which is way this offer currently equates to.
  • Options
    Good news all, they have come back offering me what was originally discussed. I'm a bit pissed off they went away from it with the initial offer but the role etc looks good and the training and progression will be a nice bonus so I'm going for it icon_smile.gif Thanks everyone for the help and advice.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Shows the employer that you won't just accept any old crap either. Good on you.

Never sell yourself short and look after number 1!
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Dont work for company that attempts to low ball you. Consider the long run of salary increment, promotions and budget for training and projects that you require to do your job. Those can impact your prolong stay and learning in the work itself.

Edit: Didnt know u got the offer, good for you.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good to hear!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good news all, they have come back offering me what was originally discussed. I'm a bit pissed off they went away from it with the initial offer but the role etc looks good and the training and progression will be a nice bonus so I'm going for it icon_smile.gif Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Weheeyy good lad!! pleased for you mate is it a networking role? if i remember aren't you in the Leicester area or i could have made that up lol
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Shows the employer that you won't just accept any old crap either. Good on you.

Never sell yourself short and look after number 1!

Exactly! cheers!

Wayne lad, good to hear from you. Yes mate I am near to Leicester (well remembered) but the new role is in Burton, pretty close to the brewery icon_smile.gif
    It's an infrastructure engineer role with quite a bit of networking plus sys admin stuff so hopefully a decent mix and hoping the boot up the backside I need to get some certs in the bag.
  • Options
    Thought you were my memory is usually crap! Well played though my current company tried to low ball me too when i took the job i put a stop to that straight away.

I'm hoping to get another role soon as this was always a stop gap! yep if they're paying get as many as you can cisco, mcsa 2012/16 and vmware etc
  • Options
    Will do mate, my cert collection is pathetic compared to most on here, lol. You are spot on about the low offers, I imagine a lot of people must accept the low ball offers though that's why they do it?

Are you fairly local yourself? My old boss always used to say keeping jumping ship to bigger and better ones, and he was right. He's in a ridiculously high paid job now despite not having many certs or that much IT knowledge! He's more into the 'delivery and management' side of things though.
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    Chev,

Glad to hear they came back and met you where you wanted. Although my paranoid mind suggests they did it on purpose so that you wouldn't negotiate any further. :P
    Congrats mate!
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • Options
    Thanks mate, the thought did cross my mind too. However, the current offer, as agreed previously, is pretty decent so taking my chances as I'm happy with that.

Still annoyed they tried to lowball me but I wasn't having any of it. I will be keeping an eye on them when I work there icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    In Birmingham so not far at all mate! Yeah always better yourself if you can that's what I do it's a battlefield out there
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Low ball offers often come from HR not the hiring manager. I know that is the way it works where I am now. The Hiring manager gets a range to work with. They pick a candidate who they like and work within that range. HR takes it upon themselves to present a lower offer to help the bottom line. Some people take the bait.

Congrats on your new position!