Options

connecting 2500 series

RUN-DMCRUN-DMC Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

is it possible to connect my 2500 router to my cable modem then use my AUI w/ an ethernet port to connect a switch? I then want to config the router and set dhcp to my local client? Is the connectivity logically possible?

Is this a clear explanation on want I want to accomplish?

thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    I myself are still confused how I could go about getting an IP address to set on my router from my modem....I do not believe your cable modem has a serial port, so you would really need 2 AUI transceivers - one for the cable modem and one that will connect to your switch.

Hopefully someone else can help you with the IP addressing issue.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    RUN-DMCRUN-DMC Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OK- i'm indeed an idiot. Your right -DUH!

So say i did have 2 ethernet interfaces.

Would it then be possible?

Grant it that your IP from your service provider could change.......but curiois if that type of scenerio is possible. With your typical broadband cable modems....
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    DMC,

I own 3 1700's and 2 2500 routers at the moment....I connected my 1700 to the walljack here at my school and the router automatically noticed the DHCP server and got an IP address, as seen below:

FastEthernet0 142.*.*.* YES DHCP up up

I * the ip for privacy reasons..but it seems to work.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    The 1700 routers are access routers and will pull the information from your ISP. However, with the 2500 router you'll have to manually configure it with the WAN IP address your ISP assigned you, as well as the default gateway.