Options

Possible Amazon Support Engineer Position

MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
So a day before Thanksgiving, I got a call while I was frantically looking for some pumpkin salt and pepper shaker for my wife. The guy on the other side of the phone enthusiastically says 'Hey would you love to work for Amazon'. In my head, I was like 'what a stupid way to start a conversation'. I was amused nonetheless, so I said Yes of course. We went briefly into the job position, location (Seattle) and among other things. I hung up and went on with my shaker hunt.... now yesterday I get an email from the Hiring Manager:
The team feels that you are a good fit for this role and would like to schedule a phone interview. I have included a job description for the position below to give you more details. I have also included your recruiter on this email; please feel free to reach out to them for any non-scheduling related questions. This position is located in Seattle, WA and we will provide relocation assistance if applicable.

The job is a Senior Support Engineer for AWS S3.

Does anyone have any experience working for Amazon, I am pretty happy with the work I do now (Security Engineer from Home) but I think I am going to interview just to see where I would fit and if the pay was right, who knows!

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    blinkme323blinkme323 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sadly, I've only heard bad things about working there, but heck you might as well listen to what they have to offer.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never worked there, but heard that it is at least controversial. Looks like they tend to work more than 40 hours/week and this is encouraged and if you don't you may have problems with reviews.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good luck in whatever you decide. Why do those calls come when you are distracted?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I figured it wasn't going to be a very pleasant place to work at. I had a similar situation when I got offered a job at Space X for a Linux Engineer, but they required a minimum of 60 hrs a week of work. I enjoy very much my work/life balance and it would take a significant amount money, well enough to cover my wife's salary for me to take on so much work. I'll continue with the interview because I think it is always best to perfect your soft skills through actual interviews.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've worked with amazon employees that were field techs and trainers. Not one of them had been home in the last 6 months and they worked 12+ hour days regularly 6 days a week. It might be that way for everyone, also communicated with a few support techs via the field techs and they seemed a happier but showing a positive impression is part of their job.

In the long run, if a company is willing to work their employees that type of hours, I stay far away. It's for workaholics, which I'm not. On a positive note the pay is pretty good until you calculate per hour. $1500 weeks are easily obtainable for the lower skilled field techs but that's just a little over $20 per hour.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's not that bad
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i dont care how much bad stuff I read about Amazon, if they had a job that appealed to me and paid well, I'd jump on it.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    Everyone I know who works there absolutely loves it. Sometimes they have to work more than some other guy doing a strict 40, but the kinds of technology you get to work with and the pay far surpasses any other company. My buddy who is a network technician told me about a certain skyscraper in Seattle that is a large backbone for the internet, with something like half of all West Coast traffic passing through it.

If you get a chance to work for them jump on it. The horror stories you hear about definitely aren't true. At least in Seattle.
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}