Options

CCNP RS Re-Certification with CCNP-SP

ddzcddzc Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

My CCNP R&S is expiring soon. I'm interested in one of these exams:

642-883 SPROUTE Deploying Cisco Service Provider Network Routing (SPROUTE)
642-885 SPADVROUTE Deploying Cisco Service Provider Advanced Routing (SPADVROUTE)
642-887 SPCORE Implementing Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Core Network Services (SPCORE)
642-889 SPEDGE Implementing Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Edge Network Services (SPEDGE)

Does anyone know if the R&S ROUTE plus my CCNA R&S is enough as pre-req to write any of the above to renew my CCNP R&S? Or do I need CCNA SP?

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You don't need the pre-req to take the exam, but you will eventually to gain the certification.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    That's fine but would any of the three exams I mentioned renew my RS CCNP?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes unless something has changed recently passing a professional or expert level exam renews your professional level certs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Awesome, I thought so.

I did catch this on the forum:

Pass any current 642-XXX Professional-level or any 300-XXX Professional-level exam

I was just a tad worried about being eligible to write any of the SP exams. I find no value in retaking the route, switch or tshoot and I need more time for CCIE Written :)

Cheers,
    Dan
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ddzc wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the R&S ROUTE plus my CCNA R&S is enough as pre-req to write any of the above to renew my CCNP R&S? Or do I need CCNA SP?

Thanks,
    Dan

That is my understanding. I noticed a while back on my certification page that it said I was eligible to take the CCNP: SP exams, which seemed odd as I did not have the CCNA: SP. I dug into it and it seems that if you have a CCNA: R&S and pass any of the exams that were part of the now retired CCIP (ROUTE, BSCI, BGP, MPLS, BGP+MPLS, or QOS), that you can take the CCNP: SP exams. So, if you have a CCNP R&S or even just passed ROUTE (2010 to Present) or BSCI (Before 2010), you should be able to pursue the CCNP: Service Provider.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]