Options

What would you do?

DDStimeDDStime Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am at a crossroads on which certification to get.

I want to continue to progress in my career and be knowledgeable in the choice I choose. I work in more of a security capacity of IT and most of my certifications are security centric. I have started to use AWS in my free time and really love the flexibility of the platform. So now I am at a crossroads on which direction I would like to take my career. My ultimate goal is to work from home and for now I am interested in the following two routes.

CEH>OSCP (technical) or CISSP-ISSAP (less-technical)

Or

AWS architect associate/dev ops > AWS architect professional/ dev

I am almost equally interested in each path, but really have no on the job experience with cloud. I know that at some point I will basically have to start from scratch if I go the cloud route so my pay will suffer tremendously during that time.
What would you do if you were interested in both and trying to plan for future growth and transitions in the IT domain?

I currently have only S+/CISSP/SMA forensics/SMEFP forensics

Again, my ultimate goal is working from home/running consulting of some sort…

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    DDStime wrote: »
    .. My ultimate goal is to work from home and for now I am interested in the following two routes.

This is an odd end goal, but I personally think working from home will become more and more common.

Pick something you like, and get REALLY good at it...then job hunt until you get a working from home gig.

I don't know what's your technical background, but your certs seem more security, so if your background is security already, I'd personally keep working in that field and get really good at it rather than starting from scratch in a new field (AWS).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Working from home is really a company culture type deal so that would matter much more than the technology you work with I'd think.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    AWS if you want to live in the clouds, OSCP if you want to live in the weeds.

the choice is yours
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's an interesting way of putting it. Flying in the clouds seems much more exciting but the weeds have bass, never underestimate bass.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)