Options

Storage+ benefit

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
Shared storage is a weakness of mine that I'd like to study. RAID I've used for years and have no issue with it's general operation and connection of SAN/NAS that's my issue. I plan on studying Storage+ and possibly taking it before it expires but I'd also like to save $270 if the cert isn't very useful. For those that have the Storage+, would it be a good first step on understanding shared storage? Also has the cert on your resume benefited your career?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use it for the learning. It won't have much ROI but it's not bad knowledge.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    isn't that retired or about to retire?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll do just that. Trying to decide if that study should come before or after ITIL.

It retires Jan 15. I don't think I'd have a problem meeting the deadline but if it's of no real use on a resume I'd rather save the money.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The certification isn't worth much. Even the related certifications from SNIA aren't worth much. But the knowledge is useful. The Data Storage Networking: Real World Skills for the CompTIA Storage+ Certification and Beyond book is very good. It probably would be a good base to then go and pursue one of the various vendor certifications.

It's probably more useful in an interview situation than on the resume.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it would be useful to fill in knowledge gaps in storage topics such as NAS/SAN and of course RAID. I just completed the video training series on CBT Nuggets via the free trial and so far it's not really that bad mostly just theory and best practices. I think it would be worth it if you move into a storage role or to diverse your overall skillset. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    I can't speak for certifications about Storage but... This is definitely a valuable skill to have, especially when tasked with building a vSphere environment or something using iSCSI. If you have this knowledge or cert you will be probably tasked with this, because I think almost every business has at least part of their environment virtualized.

And then there is RAID, which almost ties directly into a Server+ cert.
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • Options
    I'm burning through Gallacher's ITIL book right now, might be ready to test as early as next week. Already read 5 of the 13 chapters and it's mostly common sense so far. Having passed the Project+ and years of managerial experience in a service industry is definitely helping me out, I think.

Then I plan to jump on Storage+ study, I've ordered the Data Storage Networking book, thanks! I will definitely consider CBT nuggets after reading the book if things aren't setting in. I try to use two sources but on comptia's I've only ever used one source and it's been fine.

I'm still leaning to not taking the test and save some $. Thing is I don't want to be a storage administrator. Storage is one of the least interesting infrastructure areas to me. A storage+ might be something companies look for in a storage position. I'm really just looking for the ability to comfortably discuss shared storage during interviews. RAID and many file systems I have enough knowledge and experience with to discuss.

When you have a cert on your resume you should be able to show the knowledge during an interview. That has been somewhat of an issue for me recently labbing during a network interview and having passed the CCNA 4+ months ago but not really working with it since. The task was to setup a network consisting of 2 routers, an L3 switch and 2 L2 switches implementing bgp and ospf. I was able to get most of it done in the 30 minute limit while using a lot of cmd ?, the things I missed were:
    - resetting password. I skipped over this initially to save some time but all that was going through my mind was rommon 0x2142. I drew a blank on how to get started, on my drive home I remembered ctrl-z break. I told the interviewer rommon 0x2142.
    - setting a static ip on an L3 switch. I don't ever recall doing this but apparently disable switchports
    - one of the routers wasn't licensed for bgp, I tried studying this and I asked the interviewer but I didn't get a reply. It looks like you need a new image

He said I did pretty good and that he'd have it done in about 15 minutes given his 15+ years of experience. Feedback after being told I was runner-up was looking for more technical ability.

After this experience I want to be able to go into an interview and show my certifiable knowledge. Shared storage is something I have no experience with and haven't been asked about yet but I've interviewed at a few places that have it. I really focus on high availability and shared storage often plays a part.

I think back at this year and think I achieved a lot cert wise but not career wise. I think I may have gone a bit too fast on certificates but hopefully the diversity of certificates will lead to a better career. Next year I plan on focusing much more on a career, but I can only control so much of that. Certificates I can control entirely and lately I've had a lot of free time.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you using anything else other than Gallacher's ITIL book? Do you believe it will be enough?
  • Options
    I don't plan on it, so far it seems like special names for common sense business. Amazon reviews are mostly positive, looks like a lot have used just the Gallacher. Some reviewers say the assessment in the book is a lot like the real deal.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah, ok. Nice to hear. I agree, it seems like common sense business and I hear the test is easier than most people expect but I always wonder. Good luck.