Options

Teksystems

2»

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have always looked at teksystems as the manpower of IT. I worked at a place that had two different contract agencies performing the same work and the teksystems people made less than us (let's just say when we compared paychecks they were pissed).
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I never trust any service that brings up "and we get people hired on all the time after a year or so". It's never a guarantee, the one time I did accept a contract offer. Before we even started the contracting company decided to just hire all of us as direct hires.

The reason they did that was because it was a big DOD contract and other companies were poaching people with security clearances.
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As an alternating viewpoint, almost all contract/recruiter positions are at-will and separate from unemployment due to the type of work. I worked through TekSystems and had no problem transitioning into a full time role with the client and more specifically no resistance or sabotage from TekSystems, my transition from contract hire to FTE was roughly 7 months.
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I never trust any service that brings up "and we get people hired on all the time after a year or so". It's never a guarantee, the one time I did accept a contract offer. Before we even started the contracting company decided to just hire all of us as direct hires.

The reason they did that was because it was a big DOD contract and other companies were poaching people with security clearances.
    Honestly this is the huge struggle for recruiters. Many DoD contracts have stipulations against recruiters in positions in regards to program access and recruiters have realized that many people will pull a contract role to get a clearance sponsorship and then shop to all the FTE positions between various competitors after getting the clearance so they have a better chance of progressing the ranks or getting an aggressive salary.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked a TEKsystems contract last year. It was possible contract to hire. There were three of us there. One guy got hired permanent and then the company started having financial problems and laid us off. My recruiter kept in contact with me to find a job but I ended up finding employment elsewhere. We still keep in contact just in case. I referred a friend for a different job somewhere else and I think he went perm too.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've hired contractors and FTE's through TekSystems. They've been fine for me, all depends on the "sales rep." From my perspective when I was a desktop support manager, it was nice to bring in contractors and try them out, if they didn't work out, I'd have them replaced. If they performed well, I'd hire them as soon as I could. The last thing I did in that job was get all the contractors raises. At that point, they were all rock stars getting paid about 2/3's of my FTE's.

I also started out as a contractor in IT through a smaller company called Denali, same idea though. I just busted my a$$ and got a great gig.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last time I was taking contract jobs all of them said contract to hire typically 90 day contracts and they were all for projects that lasted less than a month. Chased me off for a long time. Now I'm in talks with teksystems again for an 18 month contract to hire position. It doesn't sound like a project this time so I'm hoping I get it. I totally qualify just need little luck now.
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When i first moved from jamaica to florida, teksystems got my foot in the door with a couple contracts sent me to a couple interviews with a couple companies, i eventually did get my current job by myself but the guy and girl that helped me before still keep in contact with me from time to time

Overall great experience with tech but **** pay, hey they have to get paid too
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would work there if I was desperate
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is it the general consensus that this company is better than Robert Half Technology?
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    Is it the general consensus that this company is better than Robert Half Technology?

A company is only as good as the recruiter that you are working with. I've had great recruiters at Tek and Robert Half. I've also encountered the worst at them too. The ones that actually try to help you find the exact roles you want and don't try to pound a square peg into a round hole just to fill a req are the good ones. If they claim a job is a contract to hire, but you find out during the interview that it's just a straight up contract with no "for hire" language involved and that they have no concrete plans to hire you full time then that is one way for me to blacklist a recruiter.

Just like any employer, you also need to verify that your recruiter isn't serving you a plate full of feces just to make commission.
  • Options
    CE1028CE1028 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Robert Half is one of the worst, imo

If a recruiter calls me for a contract-to-hire job, I'll normally look on the company's website to see if the job is posted there, before I let the recruiter submit my resume.

Also, I'll never agree to the salary they are offering up front, most recruiters try to low ball you
  • Options
    atran35atran35 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have worked for TekSystems for 3 months. I was offered a full time job with Lockheed but instead jump on to another contracting company. Too me they are all the same...Apex, K Force, etc...use them to make some money...
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Way-back-when, I never liked dealing with either Tek or Half but Tek was the only one that I walked out of in the middle of the process.

In both cases, as well as many others, their firms are looking to add your resume to their "stable", the idea being that a company that believes they have access to scads of tech-talent is more likely to throw business their way. Individual recruiters will vary but it's probably best to go into it with the thought that this might lead to something in the future as opposed to thinking it will lead to something now.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CE1028 wrote: »
    Robert Half is one of the worst, imo

If a recruiter calls me for a contract-to-hire job, I'll normally look on the company's website to see if the job is posted there, before I let the recruiter submit my resume.

Also, I'll never agree to the salary they are offering up front, most recruiters try to low ball you

I also let them know up front what I would expect as far as a contract rate, and then what I would need for a direct placement pay. That usually stops conversations fast when they try to shoehorn me into a lower level role as they cannot pay that much.