Options

CISSP FAILED Today SCORE SHUFFLE

Galaxyp29Galaxyp29 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was apart of the first group who sat the exams new Domain changes in April 2015 score 582 and receive a psychometric eval-failed. Received voucher retook July 2015 score 654 and Dec 2015 score 655.

Honestly felt I passed the exam all three sits.
I performed BEST in the domains they listed POOR each time because I tailored my studies. Now suddenly I see domains I've done BEST in previous exam results flip to POOR? I've taken the test at three different Pearson sites each time, rescheduled exam twice to ensure I was ready and used old Isc2 v5 Cbk and New 4th edition(..a lot of typos).poorly written $70 I will ask for refund. How did I perform better in poor domains previously and went from 584 to 654 ( used old CBN) to a 655(used new cbk)!

I have emailed ISC2 today for an investigation This is not right. Any experience domain shuffling?

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Maybe you know the technical parts but not how to handle as a manager?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe since you focused less on the areas you felt more comfortable before you slipped on them over time? Aren't the questions random? What are you asking them to investigate? Are you only using that one book?
  • Options
    I didn't forget the material on the other domains. Investigate my score and even though questions are random...theres starkness comparing domains I did best in on previous exams to suddenly I performed poor.
  • Options
    The questions were application and conceptual.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hello you have some insight for me to follow?
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Galaxyp29 wrote: »
    Hello you have some insight for me to follow?

Well since you didn't list your IT Security experience I can only guess as what your problem might be. I would venture a guess that you may be over thinking the questions. How long did it take you to take each exam?

I would suggest you watch the Cybrary.it videos, read and Study the Official Sybex CISSP Official Study Guide, study the Combined Notes found here on this forum, and use the CCCure Practice Exams. Out of all of what I used to study for this exam, I feel those three assets provided the most relevant information and advice. I passed the exam on the 7th of November 2015, and started studying around April of this year. In August I stepped it up and studied 4-6 hours a day. I would take the practice exam on CCCure and have it identify my weak area. That's the Domain I'd study for the day. I did this every day from August till I took the exam in November. Every Sunday I would take off and relax.

When I took the exam, it took me 4 Hours and 44 minutes to complete. For each question I read the answers first. Then read the question. Then read the question again and used my finger to point out the Adverbs and Adjectives. Then looked at the answers again. I first eliminated the obvious answers that did not match the Adverbs or Adjectives. Then made an educated Selection of the remaining answers. If I wasn't 75% sure of my selection, I flagged the question.

After my first pass, I took a break, went to the restroom, drank a bottle of water and ate a granola bar. Then I reviewed my flagged questions, about 50 of them. I actually changed 11 of the answers, but only changed them if I was 100%. Those that I changed I either selected wrong the first time or the answers were identified by other questions in the exam.

Now I have been in Information Technology and IT Security since the late 80's and a Manager since the Middle 90's.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MANAGEMENT MINDSET WHEN YOU TAKE THE TEST.

I cannot stress this enough. If you take the test with a Technician or Engineer mindset...it's not going to work. CISSP is a Management Certification, not a SSCP or Security +.

Hope this helps if you decide to test again.

Best of Luck.
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I read the answers without reading the question, it forces me to look at all four answers. Sometime when we test we read the question and then start looking at the answers. When our mind sees an answer that is close to correct, it picks it and we "Sometimes" pick that answer without looking at the remaining choices. With some exams, there are two or more right answers, and one has to choose the BEST of those. The Air Force enlisted promotion testing was like this and that is where I picked up the habit of reading the answers first and then identifying the description / defining words in the question.

Also it seems to me that we can read the questions too fast and miss those defining and/or descriptive words. The adverb and adjectives are those type of words. It's like back in middle school when we had to diagram sentences. Diagram the Noun, Verb, Adverb, Adjectives and Pronouns.

For me, I read the answers, and then read the question...my mind screams out the Adjectives and/or Adverbs that apply to one or two of the answers. I put my Finger on that word and leave it there. I finish reading the question again and look at the answers. I get rid of the answers that do not work for that adjective and that narrows down the possible answers.

It really helped me with several of the questions. It also helps me slow down and not speed trough them. Normally I am the first or second person finished with exams. I was the second person out of 20 or so this time. Did I feel I passed the exam after I submitted it? I can't say for sure as I was light headed and exhausted.

For me, the test was a bear, the first several questions I thought were pretty easy them BAM! The questions became a lot harder and I had to actually think and use my process explained above.

Hope this helps.

Mike
  • Options
    Great write up and advice. The first two times i completed the exam in 4 hours. This last run i took the full 6 hours. I have 7 years Telecom and 4 years PKI. I am a technical guy and i was able to identify those managerial type questions. However something is a miss. Im waiting on an ISC2 response.

Im bummed that i would have 6 months for a retake...given this is the 3rd attempt.. however you gave me good advice. Ive ordered the Sybex version of book.