Options

Serial 0 is up Line protocol is down

Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys can you find out what I'm doing wrong here.

I have a serias 2600 connecting to a 1700 int serail 0 is line protocol is down.

Could it be because I have an ethernet interface connected to a serial interface, because the 1700 doesn't have a serial interface.

Thanks.
INE v4 volume 1

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    YES..mr. watson

serials only connect to serials

ethernet connect to ethernet
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    Sa'ad wrote:
    Could it be because I have an ethernet interface connected to a serial interface, because the 1700 doesn't have a serial interface.
    Magic 8 ball says "Yes"....
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Ok people lets not ridicule the poor guy, he may be a begginer to the Cisco world!

Enough now with the jokes, what may seem simple to you and I is not to other people.

Sa'ad what I cant understand is how have you connected the serial port and the ethernet port together? Without making some special cable you wouldnt be able to connect them!
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    the router may have a T1 dsu

sa'ad i would suggest checking out ebay and getting another T1 dsu for the 1700 then you could make a T1 cross-over to connect the serial ports..

the pin out should be when making the cable 1,2 - 4,5 the cable ends would map 1,2 to 4,5 and 4,5 to 1,2 on the other end hope this helps icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply guys, but I actually have 2 serial interfaces connected now and still no luck.

I have 1721 which does have a serial int and a 2600. Trying to set up t1 connection between the 2. I have the serial interfaces configured properly with the correct Ip addresses and subnet masks. I have them both in the same subnet. I had the wires wrong earlier and figured that out later on but I still have line protocol down and cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong here.
    INE v4 volume 1
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    If you have the T1 DSU/CSU WIC cards........(read around the WAN interface)....you need to configure the "service-module" under the interface.....For clocking, set one side to internal and one side to line. See if that does anything for you....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    If you have the T1 DSU/CSU WIC cards........(read around the WAN interface)....you need to configure the "service-module" under the interface.....For clocking, set one side to internal and one side to line. See if that does anything for you....

Just a question, if I have a T1 DSU/CSU WIC card installed, should I see it under 'sh ip int br' ??? I have it installed but nothing is coming up
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    no...you will see the normal interface like Serial 0. But under that interface, you will see the service-module. icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    no...you will see the normal interface like Serial 0. But under that interface, you will see the service-module. icon_wink.gif

Thank you sir..I will check it out
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Unfortunately under serial 0/0 i only see service-policy...Does this mean the card is not inserted properly?
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Unfortunately under serial 0/0 i only see service-policy...Does this mean the card is not inserted properly?

I think the card is pooched
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    when you reload the router watch the output to see any errors, the run a show diag, this will better diagnose the problem

if it shows nothing when trying to connect to it another wic you will see alot of service module errors in the console output
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    Ten9t6 wrote:

That's one freaky lookin' avatar you got there, Airborne....