Options

WGU Progress Thread - Free for All

2»

Comments

• Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will give you my example. Started in May.Was notified in October that the 2 courses for Windows 8 MCSA would expire on November 30th and that you would have to complete the courses or switch to the new path. Was sent the new path which was both Linux+ courses and the 70-680 course for windows 7 ( a 2 class for 3 class swap). Accepted the swap late November due to not enough time to complete and not wanting to have a bad mark for unfinished enlisted courses. Complete the 2 linux+ courses start studying for the 410 ( 1st of 3 server 2012R2 exams) and get a notification of completion for ABV1 ( the 70-680 microsoft windows 7 class) from salesforce due to linux+ meeting requirements. Mentor offers a course change and to be able to basically graduate that week . After several calls back and forth over 2 weeks find out that not only will Student records not give transfer ins on any of the new course path but they also have reversed my transfer in of Linux+ for requirements met of ABV1 . Even after showing them the pdf from their site which shows Linux+ as a transfer in for ABV1. After the swap WGU then extended the previous Windows 8 MCSA courseplan until July of this year making the change in the first place meaningless and then offered for me to take the 2 swap back to the old plan and using the Linux+ to cover one of the 2 Widows 8 courses meaning I still wouldn't get the MCSA and would be choosing between 1 of 2 dieing OS one off tests.

As even more of a kick in the teeth I ask records to confirm that since I have already completed 70-409 (which Microsoft lists as a substitute for 412 to receive the 2012R2 MCSA) that after passing the 410 and 411 and receiving my MCSA that the transfer in of the MCSA would waive the 412 and was told that there is no guarantee and I may have to take the class and test anyway.

In other words, nothing is written in stone , the only absolute certainty is they will collect their money from you regardless. My change was made less than a month into the semester I was in and changed an already acknowledged transfer in.
  • Options
    skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Taskstream.

What the hell.
    [h=3][/h]Database Management Application Management Project. I heard before its a pain due to the lack of feed back and consistency grading. Well, add this to the pile. I submit my project just to see where it would fall. Few days later I get the score with my teeth kicked in.

First Attempt - 4 Comp's / 3 Improve / 17 Unsat

[2/8/16, 10:00 AM] Jeremiah Miller (jwmiller.it@gmail.c

I wanted to try an experiment see if I would get the same level of grading if I re submit the SAME project (not one change to the pdf).

Second Attempt - 11 Comps / 3 Improves / 10 Unsat

Again... I did nothing to change my project! And I gained 7 more Comps. I gained roughly ~30% more completed just by having a different person (assuming) or maybe they were in a better mood that day. This is extremely frustrating.
  • Options
    Taskstream can be very frustrating. To speed through the process here is the things I found to work

* Use the template located at http://www.rbradyfrost.com/blog/template-how-to-complete-wgu-taskstream-assignments/ whenever possible
    * Label and bullet point everything.
    * Use leading terms tied to the rubric such as " The reason I choose SDLC as the methodology for my is..." so that they have no choice but to recognize what you are addressing
    * When submitting a re-grade state " I am resubmitting to correct the following rubic points ( rubric section EX: 1a. ) . I have added additional supporting details explaining the rationale for why I leveraged the longer/ more expensive initial costs of SDLC to lower the time/cost for the maintenance phases". Doing this basically tells the grader the previous rubric points are already graded as sufficient and focuses them only on the ones needing approval and helps identify the additional changes as opposed to them re-reading the whole assignment and grading. This method usually passed me through the 2nd submission of any PA I had submitted that didn't make the first cut.

Taskstream is a bear and almost a deterrent for the Masters as it basically makes it a roll of the dice most of the time but the above methods at least help to tip the odds more to your favor.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If I understand you correctly: you need 30 credits, blasted through them in one semester... yes?

I honestly can't say I fault them for charging you a full term, because that's what you agreed to. Now, had you had multiple semesters, this wouldn't have been an issue: when I finished, all I needed was my capstone, and they prorated the tuition amount for my final semester.

After a long frustrating series of phone calls last night I retract my statement. Usman is correct and I was incorrect, an additional caveat is that they will never do a refund for the final semester even if the CUs are below 12 and 60% through the semester. I was passed bad information from a mentor as well as the initial person who signed me into WGU....

With the above caveats if you have anytime available at the end of the degree there is no point in not taking up to 3 of the masters courses if you plan on taking the Masters directly after getting the BS( to do so you have to go directly into the masters ,. no semester/term break after the finish of the BS term with the 3 added on). Would be interested in determining whether they can prevent you from taking the CHFI and CEH as 2 of the first 3 courses , I haven't seen anything yet that forces you to take the 3 courses in a specific order.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    You understood me incorrectly, they didn't prorate my final semester.

I had 2 semesters, it was my second semester and I was cleaning up the remainder of my courses. Regardless, accredited courses have a strict standard meaning that once a transfer is excepted for a course it must always be accepted for that course unless the course number and curriculum have changed enough to warrant a new course to replace it.I speed through the second and dropped the one with Microsoft certs as I was lead to believe I would receive a refund for early completion and that the degree changes in place for my current degree plan ( and coming) would continue to push back my graduation. Had they not misrepresented the refund and explained it would have been the same amount regardless of my course load I would have taken my time and received an MCSA or transferred over to the Security emphasis to pick up the CCNA courses , instead I was pushed into a degree path that doesn't fulfill their Masters requirement ( which they also didn't state during their push to move everyone off of the Network Administration path). If I wanted to continue their Masters I would have to achieve additional certs or have a resume review.

Had they made any of that clear during the time when they were pushing me for a degree change I would have stuck with my degree path instead of paying out of pocket for the additional certs as I am now.
  • Options
    gouanogouano Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know that feels bro, I too am currently trying to complete Database Management Application/C170. I passed the obj assessment. I'm at my 5th attempt now for the performance assessment needing to fix 2 things: 1st normal form and Complex Join Query. After the 4th attempt, you can't send it your work through task stream, you gotta get Course Mentor approval, which is what I'm currently waiting for.

6 More classes to go for me til graduation after C170:

Scripting and Programming - Foundations - C173
    Business of IT - Project Management - C176
    Business of IT - Applications - C179
    Designing Customized Security - C299
    Technical Writing - C435
    IT Capstone Written Project - C436

I can and will do this! icon_study.gif:)
  • Options
    flashoverrideflashoverride Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep it still goes on, at least yesterday's night I wasn't able to get to my courses. And all I need from WGU right now is to perform an SSO to ucertify portal which works just fine. But, alas, sometimes I close my browser, travel between devices or session expires -- and I have to get back to WGU which doesn't work 9 out 10.

Yep, that's the one. Talk about constant change. I got the CCNA which apparently they've done away with, and then had to plow through both Windows 8 exams. I had originally skirted that req with an XP cert, but apparently they just change stuff willy-nilly.