Options

Making a big decision

Hi guys,

It's been quite a while reading a lot of forums here and its been very helpfull those advice that I see and a lot of very interesting topic which I can relate of. Since now its my turn to ask some good advice...Ive been a graduate of BS in Aeronautical Eng'g. in the Philippines ever since 1997 got a few experience in my field but no luck since during that time aviation industry is down and went to a different industy which most of the time into computers but more on administrative side like data encoding and a little bit of MS Excel workaround, Now im here in USA wrking as administrative assistant like a multi tasking all office thing documentation, troubleshoot computer problems, setting up network printer and etc. Ive started to love what i doing now and pursuing a training school here in charleston,sc DTC which has a very good reputation of there student...Im planning to take A+, Network+ as an entry level..Now my questions is do you think i should stick to my degree and pursue in fields of Aeronautics or It would be better change career and pursue IT since there are a lot of oppurtunity here than the other.

Comments

• Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Both fields require persistence to excel.

Your degree will of course net you a more high-paying job than an entry-level IT job. However, if you aren't able to find anything in your field, getting some certs will probably be the best path for getting into IT.

The fact that you have such an intense degree will likely open a few doors, and I'm sure you didn't go to school all that time just to be a gopher with some ability to set up printers :).
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Is the Air Force or AF Reserve out of the question for you? It seems like retired AF people have aeronautical and aerospace jobs for life. I assume the BS in aeronautics would be a big plus in the AF. At least you'll have a great head start at being an officer.
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    jdmurray,

thanks for the reply, I already did try air force for officer training program but they said you should be a US Citizen first since i just migrated here with a permanent resident status I would probably wait for 3 yrs before that.. and the other thing is that still depends on them if they will acknowledge my degree from school outside US...thats why im a little bit confuse on which way should go...I actually did try Navy for Officer Training they told me I can go for enlisted because they also require a US Citizenship before you can qualify for Officer and they are also not guaranteeing me for my degree to be acknowledge....so this makes my world confuse..i just dont want to waste time waiting for something out of the blue w/out assurance...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I did not know that they now required full US citizenship for residence of the Philippines to enter the US military. When the US had a military presence in the Philippines it was not required. I had a Filipino coworker who was in the AF just on a Green Card, but that was many years ago. From loosing the naval base at Subic Bay to 9-11 things have changed in the US.

Good luck.