Options

Ever felt out of your comfort zone in a role?

uncomfortableuncomfortable Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been with my company for about 3 years and love what I do and have been promoted 4 times since I started. I was recently promoted a few months ago and while I still love my job just feel like I'm out of my comfort zone on a lot of stuff. We support several products, both outside products and our own proprietary stuff and its the same stuff I've worked with since I've been with the company.

My last position didn't deal with everything normal Support does so feel like I've forgotten a lot and having to kind of re-learn and while I do my job and don't completely suck at it, the overthinker in me is super afraid of being terminated or not working out on this new team. Now I have no reason to believe I'll be fired, we have monthly reviews and I'm improving but I just worry a lot when coming in to a new position. I always surprise myself and able to get where I need to be but this is one where I honestly not sure if I'll get there fast enough.

Aside from the normal keep learning, do stuff out side of work to bring my knowledge up to where it should be; does anyone else overthink stuff like this and afraid of consequences? How did you end up getting over it?

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I like to be at least a bit uncomfortable. Being too comfortable is an easy way to start to stagnate. But if you are uncomfortable, it means there is stuff for you to learn in your role, and a way to get better. I'd say it's almost necessary to be at least a bit uncomfortable to be able to progress.

So, I think from what you are saying, that you probably are in a good place if you are able to keep growing to be more comfortable where you are. I am guessing if they are promoting you, then they think you are good enough.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Being too comfortable is an easy way to start to stagnate.

This. Being uncomfortable isn't a bad thing in our line of work. It keeps you on your toes and challenges you to become better all the time.

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you're stuck at a particular subject. No one is expecting you to know everything from day one, so I doubt anyone will think less of you if you ask questions.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I find fear to be a powerful motivator.

Learning and understanding as much as possible to avoid being caught out by a customer or peer works for me. In some ways you can look at always being uncomfortable as a form of progress. As long as it doesn't become seriously stressful!
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It is good to be out of the 'comfort zone'. Roll with it! icon_study.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be out of your comfort zone shows no complacency. So that pushes you to do things you normally would not do. It shows how much potential you have.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've constantly been out of my comfort zone and learned so much each time. Been on the IT side of things for over a decade now so I got over that uncomfortable feeling a long time ago because I remember how I overcame all of the previous obstacles. There is nothing to be afraid of.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Feeling uncomfortable lets you know you are in the right place at the right time. Whenever i feel comfortable in a role, my CV is re-posted and I start reaching out to recruiters.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was there just a month ago, working 10-12 hour days because I felt there was just too much to learn so quickly.

It's not about being uncomfortable, it's how you react to it. If it drives you to work harder, then it is a good thing..

Welcome the challenge, it means you are growing and congrats on your several promotions. Very rare to see IT folk move up, they usually have to find work somewhere else.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Ask for help, ask questions to people you usually don't want to bother, know your weaknesses and what you're uncomfortable with. If it's something you can practice, practice!
  • Options
    capwapcapwap Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I do believe I've felt out of my comfort zone in every job I've ever had. I doubt that will ever change.