Options

Deciding between a 4 year degree or a 2 year degree with certs

CheeseFaceCheeseFace Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm sure there are a million threads like this but here we go.

I'm having a hard time taking College seriously. So here are my options...

-Work/Finish an MIS B.S. Degree (It'll take me 3 years from now)

-Work on a CIT A.S. Degree (Should take just a little over a year to finish)

Lets take into consideration that I am a happy camper when I'm working but its completely opposite when I'm doing any sort of college work.

I'm curious how far I can get with just a 2 year and Certs. And what jobs might I be able to land with just that? (Sys admin maybe?)

I much rather just start getting experience in the field than waste my time at college.

What do you guys think? I'm in Silicon Valley if it makes a difference.

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    CheeseFace wrote: »
    What do you guys think? I'm in Silicon Valley if it makes a difference.

B.S.

No question. Highest competition in the country in your backyard.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I got my four year degree and certs. 12.5 years later, not one regret
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    joelsfood wrote: »
    I got my four year degree and certs. 12.5 years later, not one regret

Same here!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go for your Bachelor's Degree and certs, don't stop at your Associates. I went far without any degree just a cert, but that was then, this is now. I have hit a brick wall. In order to break through that wall, a degree is like a sledgehammer, a useful tool in breaking down that wall. I have my Associates Degree and I get my Bachelor's next semester. I plan to do my Master's as well right after...and who knows...maybe a mother f'n P-H-D!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Definitely finish the B.S. if you have the means.

You can certainly get far with an A.S., or even no degree at all for that matter, but the more you have going for you the easier it will be.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    capwapcapwap Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It seems a lot of people are becoming disenchanted with traditional education these days. I understand why college doesn't seem engaging. But apparently it's still valued in many avenues, so I think I'd press through it. Don't rush it, though, because I see a lot of people burn out that way. Keep your credit hour count to something that doesn't stress you out too much, and possibly try to work on a couple certifications at the same time. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go to WGU. You'll get your B.S. and a bunch of certs along the way. Having an A.S. isn't going to help you a ton.