Do I need to know about Licensing?

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Im studying for the exam and am currently going over a chapter on licensing and CALs. I have no idea what its talking about to be fairly honest, and I can't practice because the copy of server 2003 I have does not support it.

I was curious as to the importance of this topic? Do i really need to understand this for the sake of the exam? Has anybody come across licensing on an exam before?

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    yes, not in very great detail but you must know something about it, like the different types, when to use which etc.
    check microsoft technet for more info.
    witty comment
  • albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
    Alright will do, thanks OMNI.
  • vexvex Member Posts: 113
    Licensing is very important in the REAL WORLD. You should learn it regardless of whether or not it is on the exam.

Just my 2 cents

I had a question on my exam about licensing.
    Ancient Certs:
    Exam 70-064: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows® 95
    Exam 70-067: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
  • JLLJLL Inactive Imported Users Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with _omni_ and Vex. For the exam, know the positives and negatives for the available modes (Per-Server and Per-Device or Per-User). In the real world, know how to design, implement and manage it.
  • zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    You wouldn't find much info (or examples) for licensing in the MS Press and Sybex books. I'm currently studying on that section, and like you, I needed more info. Did a google and found more than what was mentioned. remember, use whatever tools to get your info; not what are handed to you from these books.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Transcender practice exams had some great questions and explanations related to licensing that IMO was more than enough for the exam. I don't remember a single question on my 290 exam that was about licensing, but you never know what you could get.

However, it is a best practice to be familiar with it as much as possible for the real world.