Options

First timer

kid_subarukid_subaru Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am new to the community and am starting to study for my Windows Server 2012 cert, 70-410 to be specific. My question to you, what is the best virtual box for labs?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I like VMware.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    kid_subarukid_subaru Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like VMware.

workstation? if so, is there a free version?
  • Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    There's also a free version of Hyper-V, or you can go the whole hog with VMware and get ESXi. There's an advantage in using these over using VirtualBox or VMware Workstation etc, in that you get experience with actual enterprise level virtualisation solutions.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're going for the MCSA then eventually you're going to have to use Hyper-V so I'd recommend using it.
    LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
    In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
    Up Next - MCSE: Communication
    2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1
  • Options
    tau2014tau2014 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For Windows there is a free version of Workstation. You can also use Hyper-V (Free as well) if you have a Windows 8.1 or 10 machine.

What I did was get an old workhorse machine from Ebay and I installed the VMWare Hypervisor (FREE!) and I bought a couple Win 2012 licenses also from Ebay and I have those virtualized. I would agree with one of the other posts in that you'd want to get a feel for a scaled down version of the enterprise solution which is why I like using VMWare so I can create separate networks and also virtualize hosts.