Options

Career Advice: Desktop support to Sr IT audit

dome625dome625 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
Been a viewer here for a while and wanted to see if I could get some advice since I feel like I'm in career limbo.

I have been in IT doing various Jack-of-All-trade roles and learned most skills enough to be dangerous while having the title of desktop administrator (remote office support) managing multiple locations primarily doing second level support and managing corporate mandated server, network and application upgrades. For about two years I worked for another company and was doing everything! Brand new company that needed to keep costs low and while it was stressful I worked with a third party support vendor while learning Exchange 2010, Windows Server 2008 R2, ESXi 5.1, storage, Cisco and HP networking, etc. in a matter of 2 years. I supported this environment including DR setup and planning for the 2 year period.

Fast forward to today and I'm about a year into an IT audit role and enjoying it. I don't miss the on-call environment after bring a one man show for those two years but I miss being hands on at times but, I don't miss the beck and call environment....

I speak with people and they believe I now have the golden ticket career but, I have no clue how IT audit is a golden ticket. I have studied for the Security+ but didn't take it two years ago and all my prior knowledge is really handy while doing the audit role as well.

Thing is I just don't know where to go from here. I've done a little of everything except for direct DB management but, I would like to continue on in the InfoSec arena but, I'm not a programmer-type. I make a decent salary but, the only way I really see for me to get a better perspective to be knowledgeable would be to go to a role that monitors the LAN, firewalls, etc. but, I think with my experience it would be a pay cut. Being the sole provider in my home kind of makes me shun that direction...

Taken the recent Dec '15 CISA exam and awaiting the results (though I'm confident I passed) but I prefer not to be a "paper" InfoSec professional.

Creds:
MCTS - Server 2008R2
MCP - 2000
No degree(Associates in progress)
Numerous training courses(CCNA, Exchange 2010, VMWare ESXi 5.1)

Any thoughts? Input? Suggestions on what to do with my picture? Much appreciated.