Guidance Needed Info Sec job

Dark0Dark0 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone i'm new here and need some guidance. I have don't know where to go from here I have my MCP, Net+, Sec+, GCIH, GCIA and GPEN certs and I know the basics to python scripting. To become a good Sec Analyst or to feel comfortable in a new job as a security analyst should I learn Java, Javascript, C++ before I apply for a job in info sec? Or am I pretty well off? Thanks so much in advance.

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Apply now. Do you have any other IT experience at all?
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You don't need much coding for 90% of IT jobs.

In InfoSec, experience in Linux, Windows Server/AD/Group Policy, or enterprise networking is much more valuable than any coding knowledge. After all, you need to have a good grasp of systems you're trying to secure.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Apply. You can keep hammering on Python or learn some C++ but with the GIAC certs you are in a good place.
  • Dark0Dark0 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys makes me feel a whole lot better! Its been a long time for me trying to get into the Security!I saved up and bought all my SANS training and certifications and lost thousands trying to get into the security field. I have to add that I have experience in cisco routers, switches had the CCNA but expired still knowledgeable though. Have some experience in CISCO ASA firewalls just ACL's as well as AD for basic user account control. Haven't been in the IT field for about 4 years and think that is whats hurting me. I have had most of my interviews stating that since I havent been on the systems for a while they chose to not qualify me for a technical interview lol I feel like shouting but its like riding a bike to me, I never get to the technical interview.

Thanks for your responses!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Man just apply! Most people don't have half the SANS certs that you have! Damn I wish I had some, you'll do just fine.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say experience over certs. How do you think you will do in the security side of the house if you havent even been in IT for the past 4 years? Why dont you try for something that can get you back into the field and then look at security?
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How many years of IT experience do you have? Certs alone wont cut it Infosec it must be coupled with a least a few years in the IT.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Take it from someone who is doing things the hard way. One should ideally have experience working with systems and networking before even thinking about getting into security. My lack of knowledge and experience with networking really made things difficult for me (and I'm still shoring up knowledge in that area).
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    .... My lack of knowledge and experience with networking really made things difficult for me (and I'm still shoring up knowledge in that area).

I'm the same although I have tons of server knowledge, my networking experience isn't that great...you don't have to know everything. It's ok to be uncomfortable working in security for the first few years, it'll get easier eventually. It's just that there is always more to learn about networking and infrastructure and then at some point you need to switch to security but when? and after how many years? you have to do it eventually and there will be moments of discomfort and that's fine I think.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE