Options

VCA-DCV Worth IT

triadmatttriadmatt Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I am working towards getting into Virtualization and am enrolled at Stanly for the program as well as the VCP class that starts in January.

I see that CBT Nuggets offers VCA-DCV and I am wondering if this cert is worth the time or should I spend my time with the Horizon 6 vids?

Thanks for the help
Matt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would probably not bother if you are already enrolled in the VCP class. What is your IT experience/background?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    triadmatttriadmatt Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Currently provide support for Hosted VoIP provider, but have been doing IT/Telcom in the field for a while. Knee injury and arthritis keeps me out of the field and has put me indoors. So, I am looking to expand my knowledge and move on to something more than providing end user support.

My goals are Virtualization (enrolled at Stanly.edu) , but not sure if I go data center or networks with the VCP6-NV. Am open to any suggestions about career path.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have an alternative route for training other than Stanly? They don't support Missouri (where I live) so I cannot take the course. Thanks!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Greg - I did mine from UCSC for $1000 a few years ago. I got an email the other day from them offering the VCP 6 course for the same amount. Maybe you should check them out.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll check them out. How did you find the training? Good/Bad/Other?
  • Options
    I honestly didnt care how it was, all I wanted was the pass mark for the course requirement for the VCP. To be fair, the trainer, Armond Inselberg, was knowledgeable, prompt and efficient. The mid-course and end-of-course tests were not easy but not difficult. The entire course was at my own pace though I had 2-3 months to do it in. Armond couldn't care less whether someone finished it all in 6 days or 6 weeks. The discount voucher came swiftly after I got the pass mark and VMware were notified about it shortly after too. I was pleased with it, the $1000 I spent out-of-pocket has paid itself off over and over.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Nice, you told me everything I needed to know; great to hear too. Thanks for the feedback. I just want to get credit for taking the training and I'll study on my own.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Greg - I did mine from UCSC for $1000 a few years ago. I got an email the other day from them offering the VCP 6 course for the same amount. Maybe you should check them out.

Initially I was interested in doing the VCA cert but after completing the reading material I figured that it would be a waste since I wanted to do VCP soon anyway.

@Essendon - I went looking for this course online but I couldn't find any mention of it satisfying the course requirement. Would you be able to provide some more information? Also, how much time did you spend after the 5 day course in independent study before you took the test?
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was never asked about any course when I scheduled VCP6-DCV. It was a lot like scheduling any other Pearson Vue test but I had to add vmware to my profile. I also had to add exin to take itil tests.

Are you sure a course is still required?

I've heard the VCA's are very basic like MTA's. Probably not worth spending money on taking the test but feel free to study it before jumping into VCP if you are looking for a smaller step.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gncsmith wrote: »
    Nice, you told me everything I needed to know; great to hear too. Thanks for the feedback. I just want to get credit for taking the training and I'll study on my own.

If you're looking into WGU they offer the same vouchers that Stanly does. The voucher also allows you to take the exam without the class. So you can self study all you want.

If that's something you're interested in.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    If you're looking into WGU they offer the same vouchers that Stanly does. The voucher also allows you to take the exam without the class. So you can self study all you want.

If that's something you're interested in.
    Can you clarify about wgu?
    I'm on the waiting list for stanly and was initially preparing for the VCA exam but figured that I would just go straight into VCP.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    I was never asked about any course when I scheduled VCP6-DCV. It was a lot like scheduling any other Pearson Vue test but I had to add vmware to my profile. I also had to add exin to take itil tests.

Are you sure a course is still required?
    Yes, the only exception is for the VCP6-NV for holders of certain Cisco certifications.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't bother with VCA if you're heading towards VCP.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I first signed up and was approved for the regular test. I then scheduled on Pearson until I got to the promo code and realized the WGU voucher was for the educational test. So I signed up for the educational test and was approved a day later then continued on with scheduling and paying. When would they bring up the required material during the process?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    I first signed up and was approved for the regular test. I then scheduled on Pearson until I got to the promo code and realized the WGU voucher was for the educational test. So I signed up for the educational test and was approved a day later then continued on with scheduling and paying. When would they bring up the required material during the process?

They wont. You can self study using the WGU code
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    mzx380 wrote: »
    @Essendon - I went looking for this course online but I couldn't find any mention of it satisfying the course requirement. Would you be able to provide some more information? Also, how much time did you spend after the 5 day course in independent study before you took the test?

Scroll half the way down here >> Online Courses | UCSC Extension Silicon Valley

It wasn't a 5 day course, I had 2-3 months to do the course in and at my own pace. I dont remember how long after the course I took the test. I had prior experience with vSphere so that helped with preparing for the test so YMMV depending on how much you know already.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..