Options

WGU MSITM - The Bass Drops on 01/01/16

Comments

• Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Update for the new term.

After spending the first week of the new term in St. Maarten with my girlfriend for my birthday, it's time to get back at it. I finished writing LZT2 (Power, Influence, Leadership) Task 1 prior to the start of the new term and submitted it while on vacation and it came back good. Not a difficult task and I actually learned a good deal going over the material. Tasks 2 and 3 may take a bit longer because I hate writing presenter notes in PowerPoint.

I submitted MCT2 (Tech Writing) Task 2 a few days back and got the thumbs up on it last night. I don't think my usability test was that great, but it seemed to fit the bill. I went above and beyond on my revisions which were praised highly (hint: data validation can be applied elsewhere and the sheet can be improved for scaling). Task 3 is another PPT deal.

I've started MAT2 (IT Management) Task 2 but it is on hold at the moment because I'm trying to decide what to do. I've written A LOT about this topic in prior papers and have in the past used chunks of my own work to facilitate other tasks. A considerable portion of the paper I have now is copied and pasted from my previous work (about 6 pages out of the 7 I have written so far), and an email to my SM and the CMs came back with basically, "We're not sure, best to write from scratch to be safe." I can only say the same thing in a finite number of ways. I may just submit it with a note of the courses and tasks that are referenced if the evaluator wants to verify my claims. I don't know. Any thoughts from you guys?

In summary...two tasks down for the first two weeks of the term and MCT2 Task 1 is on deck to be submitted this weekend.
  • Options
    My MCT2 Task 1 submission passed! Though I don't think it was a great paper (I'm a huge self-critic). Did it on Exchange 2013 installation.

I'll probably start on Task 3 tomorrow night. I guess I'll do it on telling old people how to sell their trinkets. I'm hoping to have it finished by the end of the month.

After that, things will probably start to get hectic...
  • Options
    Been a long time since an update.

MCT2 (Tech Writing) was finished up on August 4th. It wasn't too bad, got a couple of cheesy "excellence" awards for Tasks 2 and 3, but I've seen other students have as well so it may not be that big of a deal. :)

LZT2 Tasks 2 and 3 are dragging out for me. I thought I was finished with Task 2 last week, but I discovered I wrote the presenter notes exactly how Mary said not to, so, back to square two. Work is stable, but also incredibly slow at the moment, so I think that is factoring into my sluggishness. I'm hoping to hear back on a job in a bigger city in the next few weeks, so IF that comes through it should reinvigorate me.

If there are any MS-ITM students out there who want to bounce ideas off of someone and share advice, I'm willing to participate. I've done so with some students in the MSISA/MSCIA program, but our paths diverge after only a handful of courses. Since we're a minority in the WGU scene, having some interaction and an accountability partner(s) would definitely do me some good, and probably many of you as well.
  • Options
    heyblueheyblue Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey there! I actually just finished the MSITM program. It has been a while since I have been on the thread.
  • Options
    heyblue wrote: »
    Hey there! I actually just finished the MSITM program. It has been a while since I have been on the thread.

You made great time on completing the degree. :)

Finding anyone who can share their experiences with the latter MSITM courses is rare. How was MBT2? From what I understand it's not exactly a walk in the park.

I received some feedback from the CM on my current draft LZT2 Task 2. She said I fell into a common trap of writing about a solution instead of writing about how to come up with a solution. I'm hoping to have it revised and ready to go sometime this weekend, but that could easily turn into two weeks at this point. I still need to fire up Project and make my Gantt chart for the communication timeline as well.
  • Options
    MBT2 was not too bad, a lot of cultural awareness for globalization issues. I had a hard tiem with Task 3, but that is because the network map part was confusing to me as to what they were wanting.
    I did not use a GANTT chart at all for LZT2, I stuck to a regular chart created in word for the communication plan. Just inserted the timeline that way.
  • Options
    I started last November, so all in all it took me 10 months. That is with working full time, umpiring college and high school baseball since February...over 200 games...and vacation thrown in there as well. I have not seen too many MSITM majors at all, no idea where to go from here. I am currently an IT project manager, and I definitely want to move up but there is nowhere to go where I am currently. They know I just finished the masters program and have not even talked about a bump in salary or ways to ensure that I do not bounce for better opportunities, but my eyes are definitely open now. Even got the wife to agree to move as long as it is a direct hire and not a contract and of course a good salary where she does not have to stress about finding a job although she does want to work.
  • Options
    MBT2 Task 3 is the one I hear people scratch their heads over a little. I'm only leaning towards a Gantt chart because I have MS Project and it's what I've always used for making timelines of various duration. It may indeed be overkill for the task, but I can jazz it up a little with task predecessors and what not. :)

I'll attribute your discipline to the military. :) I'm way behind my original time goal. I'm kind of in the same boat you are...very few places to advance in my area and my current company didn't really acknowledge the bachelor's (verbally or financially), so not much reason to think they'll be any more interested when I (finally) complete the master's. That's been the real factor in my lack of motivation...I haven't seen much evidence that my degree or certs I've earned over the past five years have been of much use. While I know they are, it's difficult to keep pressing on when I have very little progress to show.

My girlfriend is very open to moving as well since she wants to live somewhere that she can "build a career and not just have a job", as she put it. I've been exploring options, but working for primarily small companies doesn't provide much leverage when looking to move to big cities.
  • Options
    Yes, Task 3 was very confusing! IT could be the military, but I would attribute it more to having a job with a lot of time behind the desk that gave me a lot of time to work on papers as the things I was learning in the coursework were applicable to what I do day in and day out. The only acknowledgement I have received where I am currently at, with the state government, is the program manager asking if I was looking elsewhere or wondering if I am a flight risk. Hell yeah I am. They brought her on after me which means that there is absolutely zero growth potential for me here as with a masters in IT Mgmt I am more than qualified to do her job and mine at the same time. I find IT project management to be relatively simple, so simple that it is almost boring...well not almost....haha
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yea not too many people doing the MSITM program!! lol..

I was trying to manage certs into my timeline but I decided to complete my degree first then go back to certifications.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Yea not too many people doing the MSITM program!! lol..

I was trying to manage certs into my timeline but I decided to complete my degree first then go back to certifications.

That's what I'm going to do. Let the MCSE 2012 lapse (expires at the end of October) and just do the MCSA 2016 upgrade at some point. I'm probably still going to do the 300-115 SWITCH exam for the CCNP. I don't mess with Cisco stuff much, but I've see too many "I wish I'd kept my certs" posts to let them go.

I still want to work in the VCP6 at some point...
  • Options
    LZT2 Task 2 is complete! And in almost record time...I was 99th in the queue when I submitted it at 12:26 AM and got the results back in 14.5 hours.
  • Options
    I finally got access to my work. I joined the Alumni community which granted me access...looks like I was a bit late to help you out. Let me know if you need anything for the upcoming assignments. Would be glad to offer any pointers.
  • Options
    heyblue wrote: »
    I finally got access to my work. I joined the Alumni community which granted me access...looks like I was a bit late to help you out. Let me know if you need anything for the upcoming assignments. Would be glad to offer any pointers.

Will do, it's always good to have more perspectives on a problem.

With Task 2, it turns out my thoughts were in a very small box for some reason. I kept trying to solve the firm's problem when the problem to solve was coming up with a way for someone to use to talk about solving the problem...it threw me for a bit of a loop. Task 3 doesn't seem nearly as bad and I'm shooting to have it submitted by the weekend.

I'm spec'ing a new PC build at the moment though. Priorities and whatnot. :)
  • Options
    LZT2 has been beaten into submission. Task 3 was sent back for some additional clarification on some points as I made the mistake of thinking they could connect the very obvious dots. I equate it to telling someone that putting a Band-Aid on a cut is the correct solution...I shouldn't have to explain how the Band-Aid will heal the cut. Anyway, another one down and on to MAT2.

Not really degree related, but some new computer parts should be showing up today and tomorrow. This week I should see an NZXT H440 white case, ASRock's X99 "Taichi" mobo (I prefer ASUS, but their X99's haven't had glowing reviews), and 128 GB DDR4-2400 RAM.
  • Options
    dmoneyge3kdmoneyge3k Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I have been lurking for a while now and figured I would join the discussion. I started the program in June and have been slowly trucking along. I have been in the IT field for about 7 years and in security for about 3. I have my B.S in Cybersecurity from Colorado Technical University and figured I would work on a masters in something. I want to finish this degree by May. I figured a year is good timing. I started really slow because of switching jobs but am trying to accelerate quickly. I am going through the classes in my own order because I'm difficult Haha. I'm all ears for recommendations and collaboration. My breakdown is below as you see I only did three this last term but am kicking it in full gear. My second term just started on the first and am almost done with my first class.

Enrolled/Working:
    FXT2 (2 assignments in Review/1 finishing up this week)
    LZT2
    SJT2

Future:
    TFT2
    MCT2
    MAT2
    C391
    C392

Done-
    JIT2
    MBT2
    LYT2
  • Options
    @dmoneyge3k: Welcome to the MSITM program also doing the same program!! :)

Completed: JIT2, LYT2,TFT2, SJT2, LZT2, FXT2, MCT2
    In Progress: MAT2
    Remaining: MBT2, C391, C392

You can easily do the degree in 1 -1 1/2 years if you keep up a solid pace.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Any tips on software to use for the network diagram?
  • Options
    I used/use Visio for almost all of my diagrams. It doesn't have a difficult learning curve for essential diagramming. If you don't already have access to it, it's available through WGU as a student, though I don't have the link handy at the moment.

Alternatively, SmartDraw or something of that nature would suffice, but it would have to be obtained outside of WGU. The evaluators don't appear to be too picky on flair but rather on the presence of all pertinent information.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    dmoneyge3k wrote: »
    Any tips on software to use for the network diagram?

If you're in school, you can get an academic license for lucidchart for free
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    I would also vote for Visio it is super easy to use and make diagrams :)

• Options
    OMNIXOMNIX Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GSXR750K2, I'm currently tackling SJT2, with NO network experience. Do you mind sharing your Network Diagram and your Data Storage Diagram? icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    OMNIX wrote: »
    GSXR750K2, I'm currently tackling SJT2, with NO network experience. Do you mind sharing your Network Diagram and your Data Storage Diagram? icon_cry.gif

You should really check-in with the course mentor(s). They will provide guidance and sample diagrams to get you through the task, and I know you aren't the first one who feels out of their element doing network designs and diagramming.

I don't know who your assigned CM is, but if it's Bryan, you'll have it made. My task was sent was sent back on the first attempt for the diagrams and the evaluator feedback was vague. I was thinking I'd have to redo the whole thing (since it wasn't clear what was wrong) but Bryan gave me some advice and it only took about five minutes to make the changes and resubmit, and it passed.

I'm as guilty as the next guy about not using course mentors, but they are one of your best resources to help you understand what you need to do.
  • Options
    I'm currently working on SJT2 as well. I just looked at it today. It's a little overwhelming. How long did it take you to complete the task? Did you just put all the sections in one document to submit?

Good luck to all those closing out the year strong @WGU!
  • Options
    dmoneyge3k wrote: »
    I'm currently working on SJT2 as well. I just looked at it today. It's a little overwhelming. How long did it take you to complete the task? Did you just put all the sections in one document to submit?

Good luck to all those closing out the year strong @WGU!

If I recall correctly, about 10 days in total when I had the free time, with the paper being most of it. I have experience doing network designs similar to the one in the scenario (if it's still the same), and working in Visio.

Since the design in the task is hypothetical and doesn't need to be proven, a lot of shortcuts can be taken compared to real-world. They really just want to see that you understand how the different network components work (OSI Layers) and also how they work together, not so much in making it work like it would in production.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    You should really check-in with the course mentor(s). They will provide guidance and sample diagrams to get you through the task, and I know you aren't the first one who feels out of their element doing network designs and diagramming.

I don't know who your assigned CM is, but if it's Bryan, you'll have it made. My task was sent was sent back on the first attempt for the diagrams and the evaluator feedback was vague. I was thinking I'd have to redo the whole thing (since it wasn't clear what was wrong) but Bryan gave me some advice and it only took about five minutes to make the changes and resubmit, and it passed.

I'm as guilty as the next guy about not using course mentors, but they are one of your best resources to help you understand what you need to do.

I had a similar experience on the revision and Bryan was a great course mentor so I would also suggest reaching out to him!! :)

• Options
    It has been a busy final week of the year, but it has been a good one.

I lost my motivation some time back (early October) due to burnout and non-productive search for a different employer, but due to the prodding of CMs and some fellow students (you know who you are :)) I got back in the game to finish my courses for the term. I got notification that MAT2 Task 3 passed on Christmas Day, and this morning I got the notification that Task 1 had passed...that one was a nail biter since the queue hadn't moved in over 48 hours. Task 2 was completed in a prior week. Just a little more to go...maybe March or April.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can do it, just keep grinding! Your degree is gonna look great in a frame!!!
  • Options
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    It has been a busy final week of the year, but it has been a good one.

I lost my motivation some time back (early October) due to burnout and non-productive search for a different employer, but due to the prodding of CMs and some fellow students (you know who you are :)) I got back in the game to finish my courses for the term. I got notification that MAT2 Task 3 passed on Christmas Day, and this morning I got the notification that Task 1 had passed...that one was a nail biter since the queue hadn't moved in over 48 hours. Task 2 was completed in a prior week. Just a little more to go...maybe March or April.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!

Nice you got done with MAT2!! :)

• Options
    Got the notification on Tuesday that MBT2 Task 2 is complete. 13 pages, lots of technical and cultural stuff to address and resolve. My SM and CM have both said the tasks for this course are evaluated with an exceptionally fine tooth comb, so I'm being exceptionally heavy on details and support.

I've found that my natural writing tendencies conflict with the how the rubric for Task 1 wants the paper to flow, so I skipped that one for now. My submission engine diagram for Task 3 is finished, so I just need to write the paper around it. If all goes well, hopefully this course will be knocked out by the end of the month, then, on to the capstone, then, maybe on to a new position. :D