Options

Finally going to do CCNA - Comments Ideas for Kit etc

lamonsterlamonster Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Right I have finally decided after 6 years to actially get off my backside and do my CCNA (I still have a 640-401 book in the house someplace). I have got the CCNA Academy books, the academy courseware, Sybex book (ebook) and McGraw Hill (Ebook) so hopefully that lot will give me enough info to pass the exam.

I have also hit ebay like a complete loon buying myself some kit - I know this lot is not all applicable to CCNA but I want to go the whole hog maybe to CCIE (I know lets see how I feel after CCNA icon_redface.gif and probably a new house to put all the kit in I would need)

Kit I have (or on its way to me) is as follows -
2950 24 port Switch (I guess if is not enterprise version I will have to get one later.
2924XL Switch
3620 Router
2514 Router (has old IOS on it but I think I can find newer version at work)
2523 Router (FW/frame relay/encryption)
2611 Router
2612 Router

What IOS do I need to make sure these have on min to make sure I am looking like that lot are mixed bag - most of them have 12.something on them. But l am pretty sure I can source the images from somewhere - which brings me to another note -

Assuming I have a bin file - is there anyway to make sure it is a functioing IOS image - last thing I would want to do is copy a fubared IOS onto a perferctly good router? i.e. if you buy them do they come with hash files or something so you can verify the software?

Hopefully that lot will be more than enough to do my CCNA on - was still cheaper than going on a course. All I intend getting down the line is extra modules/wics for the routers that will take them as and when they are going cheap on ebay.

Is there anything else I might need to get as far as CCNP status as long as I make sure that the switches do have the Ent version of the software? I assume that if I added a Pix and IDS I can use same kit for CCSP?

Other things I have read here that are worth a look are Terminal servers, UPS (I will get some sort of rack so I can hide the mess from the Mrs). Is there anything else (lets say pre CCIE lab requirement) that I should keep an eye out for - bear in mind I am not so much fussed if they are not just for the exams more like things that could make my life easier

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nice kit. Moving console cables is a pain, you might want to snatch a 2509 or a 2511 (8 vs 16 ports) so that you can get to any of your console ports. 2509RJ's & 25llRJ's are more expensive but you don't need the octal cables which are getting hard to find if it does not ship with the unit.

www.blackbox.com has a cheap 12u desktop rack ~$40 because even if you stack them, without the rubber feet they can do a header to the table or floor. 2600's have a fragile plastic front that loves to crack when that happens.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I agree on adding a terminal server......That stuff plus the new blue print and books will be more than enough to get you through the exam.

It will help you out quite a bit on the NP also...but with the SP.....you either need to spend quite a bit of money to get the equipment....or rent some Security Rack time. I would do the second one.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Gents -

Sounds good to me - I will keep my eyes peeled for a TS jobbie then - I assume that it doesn't matter if it is an older 2500 style - specially if it comes with the Octal cables to boot - I have seen a 2600 TS around someplace but without the cables sort of defeats the object.

Point taken on the SP - Pixs etc are by no means cheap and I assume that you have to have the Enterprise versions to get the benefit - shame as I have a 515E fully loaded in my rack at work - we were lent it by Cisco - would love one of those!

Also good point about the routers etc slidding around - I am currently just using them one at a time at the moment so they stand next to the couch while I check the configs over etc - but a small rack - even a comms cabinet could be the way to go.

Does anyone know of a site that has LOTS of subnetting questions - I think I will have to take the school approach with that area i.e. same way I learnt a lot of stuff in maths - just doing 100s of questions until it all becomes second nature. Although the Sybex book does appear to have nicer way to do the calculations without reverting to binary.
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
  • Options
    ModemHumper -

Just what I was looking for - I know I could just Google - but google doesn't come with a recommendation.

FYI have terminal server/ocatal cables on the way and a 2950 switch...so thats me sorted and my CC well and truly abused this month.

On the bright side studying for these exams means I will not be out spending money any other way. icon_cool.gif