Passed Storage+

Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
Passed my Storage+ exam this evening on the beginning of the New Year and right before the exam is retired!!

Study materials:

-CompTIA Storage+ SG0-001 Video Training Online | CBT Nuggets
https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/comptia-storage-plus-sg0-001
-Data Storage Networking: Real World Skills for the CompTIA Storage+ Certification and Beyond
http://www.amazon.com/Data-Storage-Networking-CompTIA-Certification/dp/1118679210
-Practice exams

I spent about 1-2 weeks preparing for the exam which includes reading through the book and watching the course videos via CBT Nuggets. I enjoyed taking this exam overall. It's not too difficult as it's mostly just learning the terminology and determining the best case scenarios of what SAN/NAS solutions work best in different types of scenarios. My background includes data center, storage, and networking so that definitely helped out in my preparation for the exam. I also used my hands-on experience and knowledge with various NAS/SAN equipment - EMC VNX storage arrays. ;)

Good luck to those studying for the exam!! If I can help with any questions let me know.
*Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
*Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63

Comments

• techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yay! I recently finished reading the book you mentioned during the holidays. I'm still trying to decide if I should take the test. Doing some of the free practice tests out there I think I have it all down except for FC. What practice tests did you find most like the real test? Was there much FC on the test?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There were a bunch of questions on fiber channel so definitely make sure you know your cable types and specifications. The practice tests I referenced and used in my preparation for practice were mainly from the Data Storage Networking book. I also did a google search for free sample questions/practice exams. However, I found the book to be the best source overall aside from the CBT Nuggets quizzes. I used a free trial for CBT Nuggets and watched them all over a week or so. It's about 10 hrs or so in length... ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats I knew you could do it!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Thanks TacoRocket!! :)

• scottishkiwiscottishkiwi Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Dakinggamer87!

I'm just back from my xmas break and about to start studying for this exam today.. I went to book the exam and been told the only day available to me is the morning of the 11th so only leaving me this afternoon and all day Wed, Thurs & Fri. I am having to go away for the weekend so no chance for any study.. basically leaving me 3.5 days to study, yikes!

I don't have any background in Storage so guessing it is going to be a steep learning curve for me.. I have the CBT nuggets Storage+ and also have the Nigel Poulton videos on PluralSight. There are about 24 hours of video in total so should be able to have them all watched by the end of the week with perhaps 8-12hrs to spare for either practice tests or some further reading.

I picked up the Nigel Poulton Data Storage Networking before I went away so have this to hand to read however its a monster and considering the time I have I'm thinking I am best to stick with the videos.

I would have preferred to sit the exam on the 15th however test centre cant fit me in so just got to go with it and hopefully be able to take in everything.

What would be your best advice for me to concentrate on for my 8-12hrs of time after the videos (assuming you think these are worth watching compared to anything else?). Should I flick through the book or can you advise what areas I should go back on to study? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    2016 : CompTIA Network+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Storage+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Security+ (Feb) [X], Cisco ICND1 (Feb) [X], MS 70-410 (Mar) [X], Cisco ICND2 (Mar) [X], Juniper JNCIA-Junos (Apr) [ ], Amazon AWS CSA (Apr) [ ], VMWare VCP-DCV (May) [X], MS 70-409 (May) [X], MS 70-411+412 (May) [ ]
    2015 : ITIL Foundations (Dec) [X], PRINCE2 Foundation (Dec) [X], CompTIA A+ (Dec) [X]
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My advice is to watch all the videos and make sure you understand the terminology.

Definitely know your cable types and lengths for fiber optic. I also highly recommend understanding the difference between a NAS/SAN, thin provisioning, backup schemes, and also the cloud computing concepts such as object storage. I hope this helps!! :)

Awesome, thanks.. I will make sure I know my stuff on this. I spoke to my test centre today and they've had a cancellation on the 14th so allowed me to change my exam date from the morning of the 11th to the afternoon of the 14th so I have an extra few days I can get study in. Really pleased about this since I felt like I was rushing myself with this, I'll now have time to read my Nigel Poulton book.
    2016 : CompTIA Network+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Storage+ (Jan) [X], CompTIA Security+ (Feb) [X], Cisco ICND1 (Feb) [X], MS 70-410 (Mar) [X], Cisco ICND2 (Mar) [X], Juniper JNCIA-Junos (Apr) [ ], Amazon AWS CSA (Apr) [ ], VMWare VCP-DCV (May) [X], MS 70-409 (May) [X], MS 70-411+412 (May) [ ]
    2015 : ITIL Foundations (Dec) [X], PRINCE2 Foundation (Dec) [X], CompTIA A+ (Dec) [X]
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    God is Good. Excellent News Brother.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just finished this test, it was much more difficult then I expected and has a lot of questions that could have multiple correct answers but they are looking for the BEST. I flagged probably 30 of the 100 questions because I just wasn't sure. About 10 minutes before I finished another testor slammed his keyboard on the desk and stormed out. That agitated me a bit and I thought for sure I was going to fail but turned out passing it barely.

I thought it was a good learning experience for me and even if it's not looked at highly by employers, it should be. Not every company uses big vendors for their SAN's for good reasons. This test gives you a good high level overview that will definitely help. Hopefully SNIA gets a bit more recognition.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passed Storage+ just in the nick of time! I'd had a couple books laying about for over a year, and once the retirement announcement came I was working on Mobility+. Having taken Mobility+ at the end of December I was on a whirlwind two weeks trying to knock this out, and did so today, thankfully. Shoo! I felt pretty prepared.

I also used the Data Storage Networking book by Sybex, and it was a very good read - albeit excessive in detail for the exam - even if you're not going for Storage+. I also used the Quick Review guide that others have used, and it was a better concise read that covered well the bulk of the material.

Good luck to anyone attempting this before the 15th. I learned a lot in the study process, so for that it was worth it.
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    is there any new material out for this exam?
    eddo1 wrote: »
    is there any new material out for this exam?

Not that I am aware of as the exam is being retired on January 15th. The most updated book for this certification is the Data Storage Networking: Real World Skills for the CompTIA Storage+ Certification and Beyond. :)

Just came out of my Storage+ exam.. pass mark was 720... I scored 700, sickened by being so close.

I spoke to exam centre and they are going to try open up another slot for me to re-sit tomorrow since it is last possible chance however my time for doing extra study is really limited since I have to go to a 4hr medical tomorrow so I only have about 4hrs this evening and perhaps an hour in the morning.. not sure whether to try again, arghh..

A few of the questions were not what I expected, I had a couple relating to RAID 3 which I never looked at during my studies and 2 questions required me to do quite complicated mathematics to work out the answer (wasting me 10 minutes on one questions alone).. had I not lost this time I would have been able to go over my flagged questions which I was unable to due to running out of time.

I'm going to go over the objectives the exam says I failed on and once Pearson Vue allows me I'll try book a 2nd attempt for tomorrow.. at the moment they wont allow it since I have the same exam "scheduled" on their system from today still.
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

Good luck scottishkiwi.
    Just came out of my Storage+ exam.. pass mark was 720... I scored 700, sickened by being so close.

I spoke to exam centre and they are going to try open up another slot for me to re-sit tomorrow since it is last possible chance however my time for doing extra study is really limited since I have to go to a 4hr medical tomorrow so I only have about 4hrs this evening and perhaps an hour in the morning.. not sure whether to try again, arghh..

A few of the questions were not what I expected, I had a couple relating to RAID 3 which I never looked at during my studies and 2 questions required me to do quite complicated mathematics to work out the answer (wasting me 10 minutes on one questions alone).. had I not lost this time I would have been able to go over my flagged questions which I was unable to due to running out of time.

I'm going to go over the objectives the exam says I failed on and once Pearson Vue allows me I'll try book a 2nd attempt for tomorrow.. at the moment they wont allow it since I have the same exam "scheduled" on their system from today still.

Good luck!! If you got that close I think you can pass it!! I highly recommend knowing the different RAID levels as it's a highly tested topic. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions on any of the topics and I'd be happy to help. ;)

• ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have the money and the testing center will make room, I'd definitely sit for it again. Especially being so close to a pass. That was my plan if I had failed as well. All that study time shouldn't go to waste.

Even if I had failed, I will say the knowledge and exposure to a lot of concepts I only understood slightly has already been helpful on the job. Was talking to a co-worker about a replication issue this morning, and was even able to add some educated input because I have a better idea about some of the concepts. I love when I learn something new, and can see it come alive at work.

Good luck!
  • Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    Thanks everyone!! :)