On to ICND2?

stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
I recently passed the ICND1. My original goal, before starting my CCENT journey, was to stop after the getting the CCENT. However, I am having second thoughts. I feel that after all that I learned I should at least take a swing at the ICND2.

For those who have their CCNA R&S, how long after passing the ICND1 did it take you to achieve the ICND2? (assuming you went the 2 exam route). I understand that it depends on the person/experience. Just want to see how others approached it.

I'm burnt out as far as studying goes -- spent last 3 years earning an advanced degree at the Uni before starting CCENT studies. I plan on taking a break from Cisco studies since I'm drained, but don't want to forget what I learned. I'm slightly torn right now.

PS: I used Odom's ICND1 book for my CCENT. Not sure if I can stomach another one of his books so I'm leaning toward trying Lammle's ICND2 book. However, since I'm already used to Odom's style I wonder if it's best to stick to his book. Can anyone shed some insight? Any would be appreciated!

-Cheers
Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]

Comments

• ebohlmanebohlman Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've seen several people say that Odom's ICND2 book isn't as good as his ICND1, though I haven't personally seen a lot of difference.

Unless you're going to be doing CCENT-level stuff for work in the very near future, I'd suggest going for ICND2 fairly soon; otherwise you're going to need to spend review time that you could probably find more productive uses for.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,070 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So...
    it sounds like you are NOT using what-you-learned at your j.o.b.
    ?

In that case... i would NOT stop.
    you WILL forget it.

Someone once told me the ICND2 could be passed in 6-8 weeks.
    i was HIGHLY dubious of that claim.

Turns out... he was right. i passed in 9 weeks (plus i had a full-time job).

Can't comment on the books; didn't read them.
    I used Danscourses.com and Keith Barker's youtube CCNA playlist.
    Whenever i had a question... i just asked in here :]
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely go for it. There are a lot of topics in ICND2 you will make use of in the real world, except maybe frame-relay. I don't understand the idea of stopping at CCENT though. Is the idea to just get a cert or apply the knowledge in the real world? Because I doubt there are many CCENT level jobs out there, most start at CCNA. It's pretty huge when you think about it, EIGRP, STP, Etherchannels, the FHRPs, etc.

Also, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not reading Odom. His books are fantastic.
  • stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Thanks for the replies.

Yea, I've decided to not stop and to indeed go for it. icon_thumright.gif

I really won't be utilizing my CCENT at work.

My brain is still fried, though not as bad as the past 1 week. I'm going to go ahead and order Odom's ICND2 book. It is what it is. Can't really go wrong with it. I also have the other half of Chris Bryant's 200-120 Bootcamp vids. I watched his ICND1 vids and can utilize his ICND2 ones next.

Maybe by mid-to-late week I will be geared up to dive right back into it hard.
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the midst of all of this myself - completed the Odom book last week and have been going through the Bryant ICND2 videos (about 75% done). I personally think the Odom book for ICND2 was not as good as ICND1, but reading that and then going through the Bryant videos are really helping to reinforce the information.

I'm creating an index (much like what is recommended for SANS studying) via spreadsheet with all of the pertinent commands, topics, and their explanation of how they work. Worked like a charm for ICND1; I'm probably about 2-3 weeks out, tops, from sitting for the exam. I don't work with any of this stuff on a daily basis either, so I'm going to lightly review the ICND1 material along with the ICND2 to make sure the full spectrum of topics are covered. I'd also recommend getting some practice exams - i.e. a Transcender or Self Test Software - helps to reinforce key topics, get a feeling for what will be asked on the exam, and sometimes they'll throw something at you which you haven't covered in your studies (and will further help you to fill in the gaps).

Good luck!
    5ekurity wrote: »
    I'm in the midst of all of this myself - completed the Odom book last week and have been going through the Bryant ICND2 videos (about 75% done). I personally think the Odom book for ICND2 was not as good as ICND1, but reading that and then going through the Bryant videos are really helping to reinforce the information.

I'm creating an index (much like what is recommended for SANS studying) via spreadsheet with all of the pertinent commands, topics, and their explanation of how they work. Worked like a charm for ICND1; I'm probably about 2-3 weeks out, tops, from sitting for the exam. I don't work with any of this stuff on a daily basis either, so I'm going to lightly review the ICND1 material along with the ICND2 to make sure the full spectrum of topics are covered. I'd also recommend getting some practice exams - i.e. a Transcender or Self Test Software - helps to reinforce key topics, get a feeling for what will be asked on the exam, and sometimes they'll throw something at you which you haven't covered in your studies (and will further help you to fill in the gaps).

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing.

I decided not to wait until mid-to-late week to pick up my ICND2 journey. Was sitting around and had the urge to dive back into it and get started ASAP. I got Odom's ICND2 Guide (eBook) w/ his SimLite -- (though I don't think SimLite will be enough). I might check out Boson's NetSim for CCNA.

First, I'm going to round up my materials. So far this is what it looks like -- 1) Odom's ICND2 Guide + Odom's SimLite 2) Boson's NetSim for CCNA 3) Chris Bryant's 200-120 Bootcamp @ Udemy.

I'm going to start running with these and see where I stand after about a month. Of course, if other materials/advice are presented I will check them out also. The two things I will not take for granted this time around are 1) labbing and 2) keeping tabs on the Exam Topics.

Again, to those who posted...thanks!
  • NetEsoonNetEsoon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm glad you decided to continue your studies for ICND2.

I made the mistake to stop after I passed my ICND1 back on Aug of 2014, but it was mostly because I was also attending University for advanced degree, as well as having a full time job... I indeed got a new job that allowed me to apply my ICND1 skills, but now I feel that I also need to complete CCNA to be able to perform better at job.

So here I am, after one year and a half, I'm determined to pass my ICND2, and my target date is end of February.

I'm using the following to study:
    - CBT Nuggets
    - Chris Bryant's Videos
    - CCNA in 60 days book
    - And if I still feel I need more, I'll review individual topic in Odom's Wendell book.

Good Luck to you in this new journey!
    NetEsoon wrote: »
    I'm glad you decided to continue your studies for ICND2.

I made the mistake to stop after I passed my ICND1 back on Aug of 2014, but it was mostly because I was also attending University for advanced degree, as well as having a full time job... I indeed got a new job that allowed me to apply my ICND1 skills, but now I feel that I also need to complete CCNA to be able to perform better at job.

So here I am, after one year and a half, I'm determined to pass my ICND2, and my target date is end of February.

I'm using the following to study:
    - CBT Nuggets
    - Chris Bryant's Videos
    - CCNA in 60 days book
    - And if I still feel I need more, I'll review individual topic in Odom's Wendell book.

Good Luck to you in this new journey!

Best to luck to you as well, buddy!

I tentatively set a target date for the end of next month as well. Just depends on my traveling for work.

Just finished STP topics. Pretty challenging. Took detailed notes, bought Kevin Wallace's LiveLessons ICND2 and watched STP, labbed a bit, and am going through Bryant's STP vids....things are definitely clicking now and are making STP a lot easier to understand.

From what I've read, WAN is a pain in the rear. I guess I will have my hands full when that topic presents itself in the book.

How is ICND2 CBTNuggets? I used CBT for ICND1 and really wasn't that big a fan. It helped me understand a few concepts, but for the most part I found the stories/rambling and the heavy doodling (spaghetti) very distracting to me. I don't mind a little doodling, maybe to circle a key word or item on the screen. Don't get me wrong, he has a very unique method of teaching and does an excellent job and suits many others very well. But, that batch of vids just didn't click well with me.
  • NetEsoonNetEsoon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Stunnedsoup... How are the studies going??

I'm starting Frame Relay topic today.

I finished WAN topics... I took me a whole week to finish it, there are a lot of concepts in there, I'm pretty sure I will need a second round on this again.

Yeah, you are right about the CBT nuggets... He comes up with a lot of stories that could be distracting, but I still get the idea... What I usually do is... I start with CBT nuggets, then I review the topic with Bryant's videos and finally I read... So by the time a hit the book, I already have the concepts kind of clear.

Ok, just wanted to say hi... I hope you are making progress with the studies as well... We can do this!
    What's going on NetE! I appreciate you checking in.

My studies are going fine so far. It's funny because I am just about to start Ch.12 in Odom's book, which happens to be WAN topics. I should be a little more along in my studies but I was blitzed at work this week with a ton of last minute projects so I had little to no time to study the last 4-5 days. This threw my CCNA schedule into a frenzy since I try to follow a study schedule/calendar.

My approach seems like the opposite of yours. First, I am reading the entire book while taking detailed notes. Then I go watch all the videos while having my book notes in front of me - I fill in/add any new notes I learned from the videos. Finally, I will take Boson CCNA practice tests (or maybe Transcender, as recommended by another member above). My labbing is done after reading each chapter and after watching videos as well.

Someone mentioned in another thread (forgot the name) not to beat ourselves up too much if we can't understand or fully grasp a topic after first read. Some of these topics take 2-3 times until it finally clicks. When I studied for the CCENT I got extremely worked up if I couldn't master a topic right away. This made me frustrated at times and had me thinking that learning networking wasn't for me. Now, for me CCNA, if I can't get it right away I just flag it and note to myself to just spend a little extra time reviewing it later.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Hope your studies go well! We got this man!