Options

what routers to buy for ccna????????

ukmwukmw Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
i have already bought a 2521 and im currently bidding on a 4000 router but not sure what interfaces it has is this any good to me ??????
and do i need a switch????

Comments

• Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    It will help.....do you know what modules it has...?

Most people pass it with a few 2500s and a small switch. You will not be doing anything advanced on the test, so it will make a good addition. I had 4 of them in my rack, before I sold it. One I had as a large frame switch.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    ukmwukmw Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im also trying for a 2509 but im not sure what modules the 4000 has im waiting on a reply from seller
    do you know if a Cisco uBR924 would work with cable broadband in scotland???
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You might want to double check the last version of IOS available for the 4000s. And also see if someone here has some/has seen some -- for some reason I think they may give off more heat then a newer smaller router.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    depending on your budget you can do it with a 1710 or 1720 series router and a 2900xl-en.. i have seen each of them running close to 100
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    duncnzduncnz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm no expert, but I've got:

2 2503s which have 2 serial, 1 ethernet, 1 bri, 1 aux and 1 console
    1 2514 which has all of the above minus and bri port but it has an additional ethernet which is cool
    1 1601R which has an ethernet, a console and a serial plus another serial on a wic1t card...I like this baby because it doesn't have a fan (no noise).
    2 2900 switches (2924 and a 2912).

I guess it all owes me about £250-£300.

I'm still working through all the labs, but so far this lot has done everything I want with the exception of intervlan routing, which requires IP+ IOS I think (maybe someone can clarify that).

To be honest, I use Bosin Netsim a lot more than the hardware, but I have learnt a lot from updating the IOS, registry settings, memory, cabling and general mucking about.