Options

CCNP switch down. Tshoot time.

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Passed switch today, freaking had to wait like 4 mins After I was done to get report....seemed like it was 3x longer than that.

WGU semester started Yesterday..so looking to finish out last 35 cus and study for TShoot...figure I can tackle both within 4 to 5 months.... Kind of want to keep the train going though now that im 2/3 there.

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Great job :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Congrats! Please tell us about the exam without breaking NDA when you have a moment. Thoughts on preparation , difficulty, study material, and if this was your first attempt. Hopefully going to sit the exam in early Feb. Nice work!
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    verbhertzverbhertz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I've heard TSHOOT is a breeze if you passed ROUTE and SWITCH legitimately. Good luck, you're almost there!
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll say this - know your OSPFv3.

Also, memorize the topology. Cisco publishes this freely, it's not a brain **** or anything like that. It was published for v1 of TSHOOT, but the layout is basically the same.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6738
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If ROUTE is still reasonably fresh and you know how to PING, there is no real need to wait to take TSHOOT. If ROUTE is not so fresh, you just need to refresh. For TSHOOT, you will not need to remember the trivia, just how to Configure and Troubleshoot the technologies.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    TShoot is cake if your Route-Switch knowledge is fresh. Get 'er done :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well Route I took back in July of 2014... so I've been brushing up on it while studying for switch but will definitely need to watch some of my own videos and look at my notes again. Will definitely need to brush up on some things.

But I do hope on taking it within 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    Congrats! Great job! icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    mandy7777mandy7777 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats !!
    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade:thumbup:
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sweet. Congrats
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm hoping to finish off Switch here myself very soon! Good luck with TSHOOT!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Iris, I think I remember reading somewhere that you read the whole OCG for TSHOOT, but later felt it was unnecessary. Do you mind elaborating on this? All the comments I see everywhere about TSHOOT being easy has me curious because the OCG is almost 1000 pages long. (Anyone else can chime in on this too)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Interested to know this too Josh.....
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are 3-4ish questions on the exam that they hit you with before the Tshoot sim starts that are based from the book. If I didn't casually read the book they would of caught me off guard. Just image failing the Tshoot exam cause you didn't know what PPPDIO was. Trying not to break NDA but you get the point.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    There are 3-4ish questions on the exam that they hit you with before the Tshoot sim starts that are based from the book. If I didn't casually read the book they would of caught me off guard. Just image failing the Tshoot exam cause you didn't know what PPPDIO was. Trying not to break NDA but you get the point.

I don't know about the current TSHOOT, but for the old one the topics they asked about were covered in the SWITCH OCG. While, I cannot guarantee it, I don't think those handful of questions could cause you to fail if you complete all the trouble tickets correctly. It isn't the old CCIE Core Knowledge section. I scored 986/1000 and I am almost certain it is because I missed one or two of the MC questions at the beginning.
  • Options
    Iris, I think I remember reading somewhere that you read the whole OCG for TSHOOT, but later felt it was unnecessary. Do you mind elaborating on this? All the comments I see everywhere about TSHOOT being easy has me curious because the OCG is almost 1000 pages long. (Anyone else can chime in on this too)

I read maybe a quarter or half of the one for the previous version. Once you got past the first few chapters which covered Troubleshooting models (Top Down, Bottom Up, etc...) and how to use tools every CCNA should be familiar with (Extended PING, Traceroute), it was nothing but review of ROUTE and SWITCH. Same goes for the Udemy TSHOOT videos. Essentially, just the same stuff that was in the ROUTE and SWITCH videos.
  • Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I will be taking this exam soon. Feel almost ready, but it always feels like you could never be ready...
  • Options

I took a different version of the TSHOOT exam so I'm not sure how the format is now. I can't really break NDA but I can tell you that the TSHOOT exam I took felt more like I was being tested on the ROUTE and SWITCH exams delivered in a different way. That's why a lot of people basically say that as long as you legitimately studied and labbed the CCNP Route and Switch exams, you should be able to roll directly into the Tshoot exam without a problem.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143

I hope so, Iris. I just received the OCG and the TShoot book it's massive !!
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    SeekBytes wrote: »
    I hope so, Iris. I just received the OCG and the TShoot book it's massive !!

The difference between the OCG and FLG books for TSHOOT is massive. The FLG is about 300 pages long where as the OCG is about 1000 pages long icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    musclegenesismusclegenesis Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I tired taking the test and did not pass the INFRA SEC.

INFRA SEC is also only 20%. Do you know where I could have gone wrong?
  • Options
    Hi,
    I tired taking the test and did not pass the INFRA SEC.

INFRA SEC is also only 20%. Do you know where I could have gone wrong?

VLAN ACLs (VACLs), Router ACLs, Port Security, DHCP Snooping, Dynamic ARP Inspection, Private VLANs, AAA Method Lists, and IEEE 802.1X Port Based Authentication are the topics that come to mind for "Infrastructure Security". You could technically see any of them on TSHOOT. You need to be able to figure out what is wrong with the configuration and be able to identify the correct configuration.

An additional word of caution...this is the section where I encountered a ticket where the correct technology (1st selection) was off the bottom of the screen (due to the ridiculously small screens the test center used), requiring me to scroll down. Had I not been as sure about my solution, I might have selected the wrong answers before I figured out I needed to scroll down.

Also be aware that an ACL can interfere with the proper operation of other protocols. So, what might at first glance appear to be a routing protocol issue could in fact be the result of an ACL blocking the Control Plane traffic.