Options

Windows Server 2008 R2: Post SP1 performance and stability hotfixes

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

Over the past month or so I've been applying hotfix that go under the radar and not noticed since 2008 R2 is still at SP1.

Below are some links to some hotfix that I've vetted and do improve the performance of 2008 R2 substantially.

Windows 2008 R2 Performance and Hotfix Recommendations - Notes from a Platforms Premier Field Engineer - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

If you do only want one thing I highly recommend you apply hotfix # 2775511 as this applies 90 hotfixes post SP1 and this mega hotfix alone augmented a noticeable increase in server stability, fast GPO processing when applied on both server and client, quicker AD replication with PDC, quicker login times with roaming profiles, WMI is improved drastically as CPU usage and AD verification is optimized, increase network performance with Windows-connected devices and considerable memory allocation improvements.

I strongly recommend all 2008 R2 server be set from the default power option of 'Balanced' to 'High-Performance' as there is a bug in the kernel that will degrade performance overtime and by setting it to high-performance you essential turn off this invisible counter that will degrade overall performance over time.

hotfix # 2775511: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2775511