Options

Any tips for a beginner?!

19dohertyg19dohertyg Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm 16 years old and I was talking to my brother a month ago about what he does (Cisco Engineer) and I thought it was amazing. I'm now beginning my journey through networking and I was curious about what could help me learn this information better. I am currently using CBT nuggets and reading an online textbook meant for ICND1. I also will be an intern this summer at my dads friends company devoted to networking (many of the guys are ccnp and ccie). Any tips help thanks (what to really absorb, what is vital, different sources/ways to learn information) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like you are on the right path.. since your brother in an engineer seek advice from him. Best way to learn is by doing. So set up a lab or utilize software such as GNS3 or Cisco packet tracer. Good luck.
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you are in a good place. especially with your brother doing that, get whatever knowledge you can from him as well as through your own learning. Sounds like you are on the right path, good luck and use this forum it is a great resource.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Network+
    (yeah... seriously)

Over the last year or so... i've softened my criticism of Comptia.

It's a good foundation curriculum.
    Go pick up a n10-006 book, or do Professor Messer (youtube).
  • Options
    19dohertyg19dohertyg Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Haha thanks just downloaded gns3 and looking into book(s)
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd go straight into Odom's CCENT book and right after that his ICND2 book. Also pick up a copy of 101 Labs for CCNA and lab those before you start your internship. Robot Check

As an intern you will probably be doing a ton of CCENT level work (i.e. grunt work) so try as hard as possible to finish at least the CCENT book and start labbing. 16 is a great time to start in this field, I wish I started when I was 16. If you continue down this path you can be a CCIE in your mid 20s.