Options

Baseline testing for desktops?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I'm trying to measure the impact of adding some real time monitoring software in a Win7 enterprise environment. So i need to get a baseline of the average desktop without this software added. Then I will need to test again with the software added to see what I get.

I have found tons of stuff for servers, but most desktop stuff is hardware related or graphics related. I'm thinking Passmark is the way to go, but I figured I would put this out to TE.

Anyone have experience in a similar situation?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would probably go with PC Mark 8 Applications Test or Work test, depending on what all the desktops run.

What kind of monitoring are you doing at a desktop level though? In my experience, most desktops aren't worth extensive monitoring/configuration. Wipe, reimage and move on. :)
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You could use Perfmon built into windows. It allows for baselines.
  • Options
    You could use Perfmon built into windows. It allows for baselines.

thanks, I forgot to add that in there, I am using that as well, I just wanted another source to compare to
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    joelsfood wrote: »
    I would probably go with PC Mark 8 Applications Test or Work test, depending on what all the desktops run.

What kind of monitoring are you doing at a desktop level though? In my experience, most desktops aren't worth extensive monitoring/configuration. Wipe, reimage and move on. :)

thanks for the recommendations, I will check those out.

I work in a weird environment, they act like wiping a laptop is as labor intensive as shoveling asphalt. They also want to be secure without security software. I'm adding an anti-exploit tool, and it has no impact, but I have to "prove it".
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I'm adding an anti-exploit tool, and it has no impact, but I have to "prove it".

Well, now we know where they like to offload all that labor intensive stuff...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow