Options

Final interview stage attire

Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
I can't believe I'm posting but thought I'd get opinions anyway...

I'm currently interviewing with a company which I'm excited about joining. I've had a phone interview which covered work history and was subsequently invited to an on site technical interview. This went well and have been invited back again for a full day on site where I will work with the team, do some more technical tests and do a technical presentation of my choice.

Their office attire is casual, jeans/slacks with shirt or t-shirt. For the previous on site, I wore a full suit which is what I have done for every interview ever, even back when I interviewed for part time retail jobs 15 years ago :) My concern is that this is a day on site to check for culture fit as well as the other technical stuff.

Worrying about nothing?
2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't go suit for a full day personally. I'd dress normal.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i'd ask your contact
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    i'd ask your contact

Agreed...ask your contact. More than likely, they will respond with polo/button down and jeans or slacks (business casual?).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Slacks and a button down shirt. Leather shoes, make sure they're polished.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I'd probably go a "step above" what your potential colleagues wear on a daily basis. With that said it should like dress slacks/khakis and a nice button down (no tie) would be sufficient.

And as stated above, check with the recruiting POC just to make sure. good luck!
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, just ask them how you should dress for the interview. Earlier this year, I had an interview on a Friday. I asked how I should dress, and they said, "It's casual Friday. Just wear jeans and a t-shirt." I wore jeans, nice shoes, and a button-up short sleeve short. They were dressed in jeans and t-shirts. I got an offer (didn't accept). You can't go wrong by asking.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would wear a full suit with sneakers. It shows that you can dress the part but fit in with the boys
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ HAHA! Good one.

Although I am a suit advocate it definitely doesn't apply in this case. As others said, I would ask them. If I were the hiring manager I would tell you to dress casual and then have everyone in the team dress up, just to mess with your mind. I am mean and evil like that. LOL!
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Cyberscum - I would hire you on the spot!

@
    cyberguypr - Do you pet your evil cat as you interview people?
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Last time this came up, the consensus was to dress like Moss.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Button down shirt and slacks or khakis, include a tie if you want. No sneakers, wear some nice dress shoes. If it feels like you stick out with a tie on just remove it and put it in your pocket. You're also worrying about tiny somewhat irrelevant formalities. Usually the full suit is for first interviews maybe second interviews depending on the company. The fact that you got this far means you have already made a good first impression on them. Just don't dress in sweats or in your pjs and you should be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks folks, great advice as always. Going to go with slacks, shirt, jumper and nice shoes.

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Wear the suit. Dress to IMPRESS
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice folks. I got an email the day before to say that I should dress casually. I went with slacks, shoes and a jumper - which is what they typically wear in the office. Hopefully get feedback soon. icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    What is a jumper?
  • Options
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    What is a jumper?

Sweatshirt :)

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've worn full suit. It's only one more day. If you are not comfortable you can always remove the jacket. But better to have it than not.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    What is a jumper?

yeah, I read that and was like, wtf..
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    I've worn full suit. It's only one more day. If you are not comfortable you can always remove the jacket. But better to have it than not.

I completely understand where you're coming from and I'd usually be the same but I felt this was more of a culture fit day as opposed to a full on interview day. ... and I was right as they'd like to progress the process further. icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    Next stage has been slow. I was asked for my current package and that was sent 3 days ago with no acknowledgement. Hopefully all is ok, role sounds very interesting and the people seem smart and interested in what they do.

• Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    Next stage has been slow. I was asked for my current package and that was sent 3 days ago with no acknowledgement. Hopefully all is ok, role sounds very interesting and the people seem smart and interested in what they do.

Damn the current package question. Hates it we does. The employer should have a range, they need to offer in that range and quit dicking around with the "we need to know what you currently make" bullcrap. Why do you need to know that? All that does is tell you what my current boss is paying me. Obviously it's not that spectacular or I wouldn't be here, would I?
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    Tom789Tom789 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Smart casual should work for most occasions for IT staff. I think is more important to be well groomed than to put on a suit.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    goatama wrote: »
    Damn the current package question. Hates it we does. The employer should have a range, they need to offer in that range and quit dicking around with the "we need to know what you currently make" bullcrap. Why do you need to know that? All that does is tell you what my current boss is paying me. Obviously it's not that spectacular or I wouldn't be here, would I?

Most employers do have a range... but they do want to make sure your current package is in their range... why would I offer someone 10-20% than their current package and expect to hire them ? I want to know what you are making for this reason, and as a manager with P&L responsibilities, I want to make sure I can save the companies $ that I dont HAVE to spend :D
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jcundiff wrote: »
    Most employers do have a range... but they do want to make sure your current package is in their range... why would I offer someone 10-20% than their current package and expect to hire them ? I want to know what you are making for this reason, and as a manager with P&L responsibilities, I want to make sure I can save the companies $ that I dont HAVE to spend :D

You could always just tell people the range ahead of time and then no one that won't accept your offer will bother applying.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    You could always just tell people the range ahead of time and then no one that won't accept your offer will bother applying.

Exactly. Stop posting jobs that say "Competitive" or "DOE". I'd rather not waste my time applying for a job when they can't even be up front with compensation. At least in gov't they post a range of pay, so you have an idea before you even submit an application. When I got my last job, I got the lowest starting salary because the hiring manager knew it was way more than I was making before. But the two other guys that got hired at the same time, but had fewer qualifications than I did, got 8k more. I learned my lesson; when I went for my current job I negotiated to the top of the range. If my manager knew that it was a 35% increase from what I had been making before, I may not have been able to do that. So no, you don't need my current salary to know how much to offer me. You offer based on my qualifications, not what my previously employer dictated.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    Got the job offer on Friday and have accepted. Pending references (which will be np) I'll be starting as a DevOps Engineer quite soon. icon_cheers.gif

• Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021