Options

Recommended ASA for the new CCNA: Security (210-260 IINS)?

joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
(Let me preface this with saying I'm interested in physical equipment. I'm not really interested in running GNS3 at this time. I have a fairly robust hardware lab already)

I would like something for CCNA:Sec to last through CCNP:Security. After reading the Exam Objectives and looking at the ASA Compatibility Site, am I correct in concluding that I could purchase some 5510 ASAs with IPS modules and be good to go as far as exam topics go?

The exam topics state:
  • 5.3 Implement NAT on Cisco ASA 9.x
  • Firewall features on the Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) 9.x
The compatibility site says the 5510 supports up to ASA OS 9.1(6).

Is there anything I'm missing here? Any tips on purchasing used ASAs?

Thanks for reading :)
WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)

Comments

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good start, what's you're budget? If I'm not mistaken, the new exams (more so CCNP:Sec) cover FirePOWER services as well which can greatly increase your budget from both hardware (-X) and licensing costs if you wish to play with those features in a lab environment. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
  • Options
    Ah, thanks for bringing this up. I don't really know if I have a budget per se, I just want to spend the least amount possible while getting what I need to cover the objectives.

Is the ASA 5506-X something that would work for both exams as well? Does it "cost money" to run the ASA OS/Firepower in a lab environment?
  • Options
    Ah, thanks for bringing this up. I don't really know if I have a budget per se, I just want to spend the least amount possible while getting what I need to cover the objectives.Is the ASA 5506-X something that would work for both exams as well? Does it "cost money" to run the ASA OS/Firepower in a lab environment?

Again, someone with a bit more experience might need to step in and correct me, but I think a 5506-X with firepower services should cover most of the firewall side of the exams. Not sure about advanced features (not fully up to speed on the reqs for each exam, but you'll likely run into HA/failover scenarios you can't simulate with a single FW - GNS3 might be a better option for those special cases.

Also, other CCNP:Sec exams cover additional Cisco products such as ISE, WSA, ESA, etc which are probably not practical for a home lab. An account rep can likely hook you up with licenses for a work lab environment.

edit - I don't see firepower specifically mentioned for any of the exams, but I think I do remember reading stories of people encountering it
  • Options
    Ah, thanks again. I should just worry about the CCNA:S for now and go with the 5510+IPS just so I can get some hands on.
  • Options
    Ah, thanks again. I should just worry about the CCNA:S for now and go with the 5510+IPS just so I can get some hands on.

That's where I'm at too. I assume I'm at a similar level to you and I'm also studying for CCNA:S (CCNA expires in June and I'll be pursuing NP:S afterwards), so feel free to hit me up if you want to bounce ideas off of each other/study. Starting a new job in two weeks where I'll be working with all of the above!
  • Options
    jamthat wrote: »
    That's where I'm at too. I assume I'm at a similar level to you and I'm also studying for CCNA:S (CCNA expires in June and I'll be pursuing NP:S afterwards), so feel free to hit me up if you want to bounce ideas off of each other/study. Starting a new job in two weeks where I'll be working with all of the above!
    Hehe thanks, will do. I'm about to take my CCNA:R/S in about a week, then i'll jump into CCNA:S. Congrats on on the new job, sounds exciting :)