Options

Use real switches or packet tracer for CCNA R&S studies?

fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
I'm at the point now of studying for my CCNA R&S certification. There will be a lot of making router and switch configs in it. Vlans, trunk lines, etc. At my previous job, I had access to a bunch of out of service 3750 switches, and I was able to set one of them up with 3 vlans, and two laptops connected to any 2 of the 3 vlans could ping each other with no router involved. I had 3 vlans in it along with some dhcp excluded-address commands.

But when I tried to replicate it on Packet Tracer, I couldn't get it to go. I thought everything was right, but it just wouldn't work, the pings kept timing out.

So I wonder if Packet Tracer is worth messing with, or just invest in a home lab, maybe with 3 or 4 3560 switches and a 2811 router or two.

Comments

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you are making an investment to create a very good future for your whole life.
    You can not do it all at one time.
    Their are many emulators, virtual lab devices, and they do work, they are all good for training.
    Real gear is good to, but you can't do everything at once.
    Packet tracer is good to master it does work.

Networking Basics | CCNA 1

go to this link

hover over youtube dans courses
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    The benefit to packet tracer is it can come with you. Always giving you the chance to study but is missing a lot of commands compared to regular gear. For CCNA it is a great tool to learn.

Physical gear the good thing is you can do stuff like rom Mon. Code upgrades. See what the switch does physically when you make broadcast storms. Etc.

If you have money invest in gear later. Mostly switches and a PC that can run some router images on it.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Both are great in my opinion. Packet tracer is super useful but stressful at times due to commands not being able to be used, even basic ones like sho interface status....

You can get a 2950 or 2960 on eBay anywhere from 20-40$.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Both have their purposes.
  • Options
    triadmatttriadmatt Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think having the actual equipment is best. In my opinion nothing better than hands on. I have been picking up equipment here and there from ebay & craigslist. I have a router and 3 switches and couple phones as well as couple of laptops for lab.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree, both have their purposes and both should be used for studying. If money is tight, GNS/PT will get you 80% of the way through CCNA: R&S....
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For CCNA you can do it all with packet tracer, there are commands that don't work but non that you need to pass your CCNA with.

Packet tracer I think is actually best for learning how networks work, rather than configuring cisco devices. Being able to configure a basic network and then watch how packets are sent around (both the data packets and the packets that support/manage the network line routing protocols) is great early on as you are learning the concept of switching and routing.

If you can afford a few physical devices, or have time to set up GNS 3 with some IOS images than by all means do it (GNS 3 does not do switching very well). But if you can't afford it yet, dont worry packet tracer will get you there just fine.

If you want to go on to CCNP then you will need some real hardware.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    What about something like a Cisco VIRL subscription. May cost you less than all that equipment.

Cheers,
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mutata wrote: »
    What about something like a Cisco VIRL subscription. May cost you less than all that equipment.

Cheers,

VIRL and L2 IOU have limitations but should be fine for CCNA. For CCNP SWITCH you will need real gear.
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    I'm at the point now of studying for my CCNA R&S certification. There will be a lot of making router and switch configs in it. Vlans, trunk lines, etc. At my previous job, I had access to a bunch of out of service 3750 switches, and I was able to set one of them up with 3 vlans, and two laptops connected to any 2 of the 3 vlans could ping each other with no router involved. I had 3 vlans in it along with some dhcp excluded-address commands.

But when I tried to replicate it on Packet Tracer, I couldn't get it to go. I thought everything was right, but it just wouldn't work, the pings kept timing out.

So I wonder if Packet Tracer is worth messing with, or just invest in a home lab, maybe with 3 or 4 3560 switches and a 2811 router or two.

Probably missing the "ip routing" command.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used PT for the CCNA mostly. Honestly can pass it with not a ton of labbing anyways. I use all real equipment for the CCNP though. You will find commands not supported in PT