Options

FOR 2nd time still failed again :(

chinamanchinaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 167
Guys, I just want to inform you I failed again score 795. Before it was okay 812 but now I don't know what happen. icon_sad.gif

In troubleshooting 100
Operation and implementation 67
Tech 69

Can somebody help me? do I need to read the ICND??? I'm only using Cisco Intro and I Boson netsim 6.

And honestly I can already memorize what is in the book but I am wondering what went wrongicon_sad.gif

I'm confuse about what is inside the packet when bla bla bla sending to.
maybe I don't have experience in networking.

Or maybe I should stop dreaming.

Actually I am now planning to buy a kit of videos but I don't know if this one will work for me. Everyday I read the book 4 hours a day and subnetting I could rarely answer it in my head.

BUT Da__Mn WHAT went wrong I am?????

Well hope to hear your advice......
Good luck to all

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have any equipment you can set up and practice on. This will really help reinforce the concepts
  • Options
    Nope I don't have any equip only simulator.
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Can somebody help me? do I need to read the ICND??? I'm only using Cisco Intro and I Boson netsim 6.

icon_eek.gif OFCOURSE.

I'm even surprised you managed to get those scores by only reading the INTRO. 640-801 covers topics from both INTRO and ICND. There is no compromise between the two especially given the fact that you dont have real hands on experience.

You have to read the ICND and better still get the 640-801 study guide by Todd Lammle which covers both topics. This should get you thru and furthermore save $$$ on real hard ware and retakes.

Good luck.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    Man, I am just taking Intro...NOT the full 801. And because I really want to know start at low level so that I could have better solid understanding but I feel there are still some missing info on the Intro book.
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Easy man, thought you were taking the all in one stride 640-801. I went for the one exam option using both INTRO and ICND books by Wendel Odom and topped it up with Sybex. But then i had hands on experience with real Cisco gear and still used Boson simulators. I didn't pass it on first try and very few people rarely do.

But given your score, i can say you are pretty close and all you have to do is figure out the weak point and work on it. For starters, you must know subnetting like the back of your hand for both tests.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    Anyway, let see maybe I will take for a rest for 1 month, study and watch the video that I ordered from the net and again reschedule for the exam.

And I'll still take the intro though I am going to start reading the Intro and ICND book and do all the reference I have.

I feel I can gain more solid knowledge if I split the exam.

It's better to spend money rather that spending it and nothing happen.
  • Options
    thedonsthedons Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If it's any help, it took me 3 attempts to pass the 801 exam.

First time I got 733.
    Second time I got 745 (and I thought wtf, I worked so hard for such a small increase)
    Third time I got 873 (and I was so relieved you wouldn't believe!)

The problem was that after the first time, I concentrated on those areas that I didn't do so well in first time round. So second time around I did well in the areas that I'd done badly in first time, but missed out on the areas that I did well in first time around.

Third time around I just crammed the whole book. Knew I wouldn't remember everything and prayed like I'd never prayed before, and got lucky.

I used the official study guide and an "all you really need to know" type book (can't remember the name and it was pre-version 3 anyway), and I think that the official study guide was too full of stuff that wasn't in the exam, and just got in the way. The "all you really need to know" book was what got me through.

Since then, I've become an instructor and I've learned more about CCNA than I did before I passed the g.d.test.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chinaman wrote:
    Everyday I read the book 4 hours a day and subnetting I could rarely answer it in my head.
    3 words of advise -- Subnetting, Subnetting, and Subnetting.

Subnetting is the main thing that knocks students out of the Cisco Network Academy Courses. You don't have to do it in your head, but you have to do it reasonably fast so you can save some time for the tricky questions and sims. You need to have a "**** sheet" that you can **** before the exam onto your scratch paper. Use the subnetting practice website that's been suggested in various threads here -- and work on the best **** sheet while you are practicing.

I think there is a flash video somewhere that shows an IP packet as it travels through a network (and the mac address changes in the packet). I think there was one in the Cisco Network Academy Courseware, but I'm sure I've seen one elsewhere -- It might be on the Cisco CCNA practice/preparation web site somewhere. Anyone?

A couple of possibilities --

Take the month off, watch the video (read ICND for a change of pace) -- etc -- and try INTRO again. Reading ICND could help you understand why all the basic trivia from INTRO is important. Heck, you might even decide to try the single CCNA exam. :D

If you don't have a networking background, trying to learn the basics can be difficult if you don't get to do anything to help you realized why you want and need to know this stuff.

So another possibility -- try the Network+ certification. It would be another approach to networking, but you still need to get the subnetting. The new stuff you didn't see studying for INTRO could make networking "more real" and easier to understand.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice mike, I'll try to relax and clear things in my head.
  • Options
    SVSV Member Posts: 166
    I passed the 801 in my second try. The netsim really helped me out. I totally agree with mike. If you are through in subnetting it will give you more confidence and time to complete the exam.

I had some issues with WAN technologies. I used a CBT which my friend had to clear the doubts.

I believe the videos should really help you

Good luck for your next try ....
    Life is a journey...
  • Options
    Actually, I am now planning to buy the CBT video for CCNA.
    I am waiting for my Virtual card so that I ca download it.

I am now starting to read the Sybex of Todd lamme and after reading this I'll also read the ICND of wendel odom.

Thanks SV.