Options

Windows Media Player Madness!

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
I was wondering if anybody could help me with a problem i'm having with windows media player. Im currently running a P4 3.2 with 512MB RAM and a 120GB SATA drive, so i definately know it has nothing to do with my hardware.

Anyway sometimes (probably 3 out of 5 times) when i run windows media player it tears my computer apart. In task manager its using up 70% of my processor and about 50MB RAM, which is just crazy numbers for an application like this. I have updated it to Windows media player10 about 4 months ago but the problem has only started happening.

I have scanned my computer for viruses with the latest norton to no avail. Its really driving me mad, because i can't listen to or watch anything, because it just hangs like anything.

Could domeone plz give me an insight in to whats happening and what i can do. I'm currently thinking about removing and re-installing it?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    What version of Windows (XP, 2000, etc.) and do you have all the latest Windows updates installed?

Have you recently installed any other media players on the system, like QuickTime, Real, DivX, etc.? What other software have you installed prior to this problem occurring?

Also, does this problem occur when you simply start Media Player, or only when you play a specific type of media (MP3, WMA, AVI, WMV, etc.) or a specific file?
  • Options
    albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
    Thanks for the quick reply.

In response I am running Windows XP SP2. I have installed heaps of different software lately, but only Winamp which is media related. I have since uninstalled that.

The problem occurs as soon as it is launches and gradually gets worse as if it is leaking somehow. I haven't updated for a while, which i will do, although it was running fine so I dont know if that will help.

Also I forgot to mention that when i go to change a name of a song in the media library, media player stops responding. I think its quiet ill to be honest. Hope that helps, i will get onto the update now and see if that helps.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    It sounds like you should reinstall Media Player 10 and its updates. Google and see if there are any known problems between MP10 and the version of Winamp that you installed.
  • Options
    chirag12chirag12 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    before you reinstall check to see is you have any other processes running in the background and check to se if you if you see any weird filenames. it could be a spyware or a worm that can cause this. :D