Options

Eric Conrad 3rd Edition

KeenlearnerKeenlearner Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Is there anyone who read Eric Conrad 3rd Edition to attempt CISSP exam? Is it really worth buying new book or should I study from 2nd edition and 11th Hour...

Comments

• Options
    hilldhilld Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally, if I had to buy the book today, I would purchase the new edition. I used the 2nd edition to study, but I didn't have the option of choosing. The second edition is a great resource, I would expect the 3rd to be even better.
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read Conrad 2nd and marked it all up (I already had it before the new edition came out). I'm on Chapter 15 of the Sybex book now. When I finish Sybex, I plan on reading Conrad 3rd.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    I read Conrad 2nd and marked it all up (I already had it before the new edition came out). I'm on Chapter 15 of the Sybex book now. When I finish Sybex, I plan on reading Conrad 3rd.

If you have already read the 2nd edition, I would save the money and move on. The content is going to be very similar and just organized into 8 domains vs. 10. Not sure if you gain anything more by reading the same material again. Maybe spend the time on a couple of full length practice tests to see how you do.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I bought the book, but not because of studying, I use it for reference as I'm about to become a CISSP instructor. So to the book, it is a must buy considering that 2nd edition doesn't reflect April 2015 changes to the exam. Overall, it's the best book to prepare for this exam, pretty short, but to the point.

If you are really into reading stuff you may also consider Sybex which is twice thicker and harder to consume.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you already have v2? If not then v3 is a no brainer. To be honest, if you can afford the new book it is probably worth it but much of the material in v2 is still accurate.
  • Options
    KeenlearnerKeenlearner Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to all of you.. I will going to attempt exam on January 25th. I'm just scared from the exam, just trying to make sure I do everything which helps me to get this certification done. Here are the details I had yet..

1) Eric Conrad 2nd edition ---- read 1 time
    2) Sybex 7th edition --- read 1 time
    3) Eric Conrad 11th hour ---- read 1 time
    4) Practicing CCCURE ---- full length exams [attempted 3 exams all were between 80% to 85%] will do more in next ten days..
    5) Practiced Sybex chapter quizzes [results were above 80% except 3 to 4 chapters]
    6) Now today I'm starting official CBK 4th Edition [ Is it worth reading this just 12 days before exam?]

I have sunflower, combined notes, isc2flashcards and pguide to review in next week [jan18 to jan 24]

Please help me!!!
  • Options
    protacticusprotacticus Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    See description of changes in Eric Conrad 3rd Edition
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you.. I will going to attempt exam on January 25th. I'm just scared from the exam, just trying to make sure I do everything which helps me to get this certification done. Here are the details I had yet..

1) Eric Conrad 2nd edition ---- read 1 time
    2) Sybex 7th edition --- read 1 time
    3) Eric Conrad 11th hour ---- read 1 time
    4) Practicing CCCURE ---- full length exams [attempted 3 exams all were between 80% to 85%] will do more in next ten days..
    5) Practiced Sybex chapter quizzes [results were above 80% except 3 to 4 chapters]
    6) Now today I'm starting official CBK 4th Edition [ Is it worth reading this just 12 days before exam?]

I have sunflower, combined notes, isc2flashcards and pguide to review in next week [jan18 to jan 24]

Please help me!!!

I would skip #6, a waste of time. That book is awful.
  • Options
    rborsholmrborsholm Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found these very useful at the end to see where I was at.. Two exams for each of the 10 domains (now icon_cool.gif. Still covers all the basics and I found they did help with the exam. I just wrote last week and passed on my first try.

McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams
  • Options
    roger101roger101 Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm preparing for the Exam and I bought the Sybex 7th Edition as most of the people recommended it.
    Is anyone having idea on Eirc's 3rd edition, whether its required to go through it too??? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Not sure about required, but extra knowledge does help.
  • Options
    MechsMechs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone had any extensive use of this book yet? I know it only got released in December, but I'd rather buy one than two.

Still unsure of the 1000+ page behemoth Sybex book or this one.

I do have a fair amount of security knowledge in crypto, network and software security. But the flaky parts are the business and physical side of things
  • Options
    pblancpblanc Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mechs wrote: »
    Has anyone had any extensive use of this book yet? I know it only got released in December, but I'd rather buy one than two.

Still unsure of the 1000+ page behemoth Sybex book or this one.

I do have a fair amount of security knowledge in crypto, network and software security. But the flaky parts are the business and physical side of things

I bought it a few days after it releases(I will pass the exam on the 10th of february), and already finished it.
    I had the 2nd edition as well, and I found it easier to follow.
    This new book has been reorganized to fit the new exam, there is a few concepts that has been added to this one but most of the concepts has just been reorganized.

If you already got the 2nd edition, I wouldn't advise to purchase the new one.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pblanc wrote: »
    I will pass the exam on the 10th of february

You will ace the exam. icon_cool.gif