Options

Passed Security+ today scored 780...drinking some jack and coke!!!!!!

jagannath08jagannath08 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

First of all, good luck to all for your test. This test really kicked my butt today.. But somehow i survived...i had about 9 sims and 68 questions in total.. seems like they are focusing more on simulated and performance based questions. My first simulated questions had 11 sub questions..lol...i don't think i can go in detail because of NDA. But it consumed 20 mins of my time...just the first questions...i was panicking after that..lol...

Questions were vague as usual...i wasn't sure if i was selecting the right one...but i had about 7 mins left. I quickly went back and reviewed all the questions...that's when i thought i might actually pass...and after that survey at the end...it said I passed...

I only studied for a month. My suggest spending couple months..i think it will be OK. I used Professor Messer's 10 dollar **** sheet...it was really helpful...i read that this morning before taking the test and it really helped!! I watched his videos as well..

I read the security + mike myers passport 401 edition and i had some PPT slides from work..

Phew!! Now some more Jack and Coke ....lol...

Comments

• Options
    jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    waynebo3waynebo3 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kudos! green label? lol
  • Options
    TallDude7TallDude7 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats. that was a killer exam. it gave me a bad headache
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congrats!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Enjoy your pass! Great Job done.
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    JonathonJonathon Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We are score brothers! I got the exact same score last week. Congrats!
  • Options
    dwarftudedwarftude Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

First of all, good luck to all for your test. This test really kicked my butt today.. But somehow i survived...i had about 9 sims and 68 questions in total.. seems like they are focusing more on simulated and performance based questions. My first simulated questions had 11 sub questions..lol...i don't think i can go in detail because of NDA. But it consumed 20 mins of my time...just the first questions...i was panicking after that..lol...
    Yea, I'd echo what I've heard other say -- if you can answer the "sim" questions quick do that, but if you're going to spend more then 2-mins answering a "Sim" mark it for review and go to the next question. I say that because, you will find out that the exam questions are wordy and will take time to read and then consider the answers. Get the questions done first then come back to the "Sim" questions. What I found useful answering the questions was to identify what the question was about. If the question is ultimately asking about "integrity" you can eliminate the multiple choice answers that relate to confidentiality or availability or such. Especially if I was debating between one answer choice or the next. (passed my sec+ exam w/ 856)
    Phew!! Now some more Jack and Coke ....lol...
    Hey, personal (sorta) question to you from me -- what roll does your Security+ exam play for you? Did you need it for a job? Need it for your degree program? I'm curious.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    dwarftude wrote: »
    Yea, I'd echo what I've heard other say -- if you can answer the "sim" questions quick do that, but if you're going to spend more then 2-mins answering a "Sim" mark it for review and go to the next question. I say that because, you will find out that the exam questions are wordy and will take time to read and then consider the answers. Get the questions done first then come back to the "Sim" questions. What I found useful answering the questions was to identify what the question was about. If the question is ultimately asking about "integrity" you can eliminate the multiple choice answers that relate to confidentiality or availability or such. Especially if I was debating between one answer choice or the next. (passed my sec+ exam w/ 856)

Hey, personal (sorta) question to you from me -- what roll does your Security+ exam play for you? Did you need it for a job? Need it for your degree program? I'm curious.

Roger...ya..I agree with you...the sims took sometime..i did mark them for review even after i spend quite some time...I only had like 6 mins left...i went through all of them again..lol...woww 856 is a good score...Congrats!!!

I hold master's degree in computer science, have 4 years of military service and 2 years contractor..but just joined DoD as Scientist..And one of the requirements within first 6 months is to get Security+ and One OS certs.....I didnt study for first 3 months..lol..thats why i took this in a month....and another one hopefully by Feb mid (Linux+)

How about you?
  • Options
    Jonathon wrote: »
    We are score brothers! I got the exact same score last week. Congrats!

Hell YES!!...congrats brother!!
  • Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats !
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    dwarftudedwarftude Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hold master's degree in computer science, have 4 years of military service and 2 years contractor..but just joined DoD as Scientist..And one of the requirements within first 6 months is to get Security+ and One OS certs.....I didnt study for first 3 months..lol..thats why i took this in a month....and another one hopefully by Feb mid (Linux+)

How about you?
    Hey, congratulations! Unfortunately, I don't know how or what I'll do with my Security+ exam. I'm unemployed at the moment and took it to keep myself busy. So, in that respect, it's great I passed, but maybe I should have waited until I found a position that need or required it. But, eh... it's great general knowledge.

As long as this isn't a sensitive question: You joined the DoD as scientist. But, as a scientist for or a scientist of what? Programming? Computer code? I guess? Just curious.

My undergraduate bachelor degree is in computer science, but I hated it. I hate computer programing. I never want to code. I dunno are their network scientist positions? I like to study how networks work.
    Roger...ya..I agree with you...the sims took sometime..i did mark them for review even after i spend quite some time...I only had like 6 mins left...i went through all of them again..lol...woww 856 is a good score...Congrats!!!
    Well, my first attempts were actually for the Cisco CCNA Security exam. But, I haven't done well with them at all. Took the 640-554 exam twice. Then took the 210-260 (new version) exam and felt I got a lot of questions not covered in the material. But, it's a more difficult exam. That said, I did use and read cover to cover, the Gibbson Security+ text book. Used the Boson Security+ Practice Question exam simulator. Which is over all very representative of the exam. And purchased my Sec+ voucher from the CompTIA marketplace in the deluxe bundle (which includes a free exam retake and CompTIA's "Certmaster" practice question program too). So I guess I was pretty well prepared ....

For others preparing for the exam: Again, the actual questions on the actual Sec+ exam, to me, just had a lot of text that needed to be read. Not all of them, but some questions could be 3 or 4 sentences long. I had to spend a decent amount of time just reading the question and then more to consider the answers. It's a very good thing I had 90 minutes, as I'm not that fast of a reader. Maybe others that read faster won't have as much of a time constraint as I did.

If you can answer the 'sim' questions fast, do it. But, otherwise, mark them for review and skip to the text questions. Finish the text questions then come back to the sims. Of course, don't blow all your time on the text questions, either.
  • Options
    batboikobatboiko Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation man :) I pass mine Friday in Bulgaria :) I was using this website to prepare Exam Simulator
  • Options
    ChaseBenfieldChaseBenfield Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gifIt's always nerve wrecking right before you submit. A month is pretty quick for Security+ Did you have experience in the field?

What's next?
  • Options
    c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□