Options

Anyone have any experience with Hodges University? Advice needed.

thexfilesthexfiles Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
If so, I have a few questions. My impression is that Hodges University is basically a more laid back version of WGU with their UPOWER program.

For those who have not heard of it. Hodges University is a private, regionally accredited school down in Florida (Brick and Mortar). What makes this appealing to anyone in IT. Is they have competency based online program which they call their UPOWER program.

The Upower program is a competency based program. 2500$ for 6 months and can be covered with FAFSA using the pel grant. (assuming you qualify). A lot of the classes you can just skip straight to the exam and take it. Some of these courses are proctored.

Upower | Self Paced Learning | Hodges University

· Associate in Science in Computer Information Technology
· Associate in Science in Digital Design and Graphics
· Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Technology
· Bachelor of Science in Computer Networking
· Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity and Forensics
· Bachelor of Science in Digital Design and Graphics
· Bachelor of Science in Software Development

QUESTIONS FOR YOU!

I am under the impression that for certain bachelors you do some of the CompTIA exams, cisco exams, and Microsoft exams.

Now is this true? I have been thinking of going the Cybersecurity route and included it says they assist you in achieving these certs. A+, Network +, Security +, CCNA. For those of you familiar with the program. Are these exams covered and part of the course?.

I called the admission office and my enrollment counselor keeps saying yes. But I am not sure if he really knows the answer to this.

What is your experience with this college? Has anyone attended. (I am currently planning on enrolling)

What would you recommend should I go computer Information Technology, or Cyber Security and Forensics? or do you suggest any of the other tracks? I keep reading that cyber security is the field to try and get into.

Thank you in advanced,
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Now if the certs are included then why is their no love for this program and this forum is all about WGU?

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Never heard of it, but I'd love to hear about your experiences there. The digital design and graphics program looks fun.
  • Options
    bpasseybpassey Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Thexfiles, I'm the current CAO at Hodges and my Google Alerts popped your question up about our UPOWER programs. It looks like you've already spoken with admissions here but have some deeper questions regarding the cert IT options. If you'd like to call back I can put you in touch with the dean of the School of IT as well as the Chair of the BS in CY-SEC. Just call the 1-800-466-0019 and ask for admissions. Let them know you'd like to speak with the CAO and they'll transfer you. I'll work with you to set up a call with the IT faculty and they'll be able to specifically address your questions.

Thanks,
    BP
  • Options
    akatsuki91akatsuki91 Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I enrolled there but never took any classes as I decided to go for Computer Science instead. From what I remember the certs weren't included. There were just classes that covered some of the information. They use Proctor U and do give letter grades.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■■■□□
    akatsuki91 wrote: »
    They use Proctor U and do give letter grades.

Hey now!!
    That certainly catches my interest.

A transcript full of P's just doesn't stand up...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Doesn't stand up to who? When is the last time someone asked to see your school transcript?
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Doesn't stand up to who? When is the last time someone asked to see your school transcript?

Good point.
    I am referring to Teaching as Adjunct-Faculty at other Institutions of Higher Learning.
    Many Instituitions (brick & mortar) have a bias against these types of degrees.
    (consider it: self-preservation)

A transcript full of P's is problematic;
    but the LACK of an explicit GPA is easy justification for Rejecting a WGU applicant.

I'm not saying it's fair/unfair.... just pointing out how the Establishment works to undermine its competition.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    bpassey wrote: »
    Hello Thexfiles, I'm the current CAO at Hodges and my Google Alerts popped your question up about our UPOWER programs. It looks like you've already spoken with admissions here but have some deeper questions regarding the cert IT options. If you'd like to call back I can put you in touch with the dean of the School of IT as well as the Chair of the BS in CY-SEC. Just call the 1-800-466-0019 and ask for admissions. Let them know you'd like to speak with the CAO and they'll transfer you. I'll work with you to set up a call with the IT faculty and they'll be able to specifically address your questions.

Thanks,
    BP

Oh snap. Somebody's sniffing the Googles for people talking about them. Just a thought, but when someone goes to a board to ask a question, they're looking for unbiased advice. Or, well, not biased by a paycheck.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    volfkhat wrote: »
    but the LACK of an explicit GPA is easy justification for Rejecting a WGU applicant.

I'm not saying it's fair/unfair.... just pointing out how the Establishment works to undermine its competition.

If you're interviewing at a place that values the GPA that highly, they're not looking for non-trad students like those coming out of WGU. They're looking for people they can control who are fresh-faced out of your typical four year university. I can pretty safely say that most people going to WGU are either mid-career or mid-life and either looking to change fields completely or just fill a checkbox. Neither of these demographics are going to be worried about an employer who focuses on a GPA.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Clearly if someone had attended the place there opinion would most definitely be biased as well. I think it cool that guy took time to reach out and offer help...
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    If you're looking at self-paced flex type options, University of Wisconsin has one too: Information Science and Technology Degree - UW Flexible Option
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    zackmaxzackmax Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is great. I have been looking for alternatives to WGU as well.
    Are there any other schools like these?
  • Options
    goatama wrote: »
    If you're interviewing at a place that values the GPA that highly, they're not looking for non-trad students like those coming out of WGU. They're looking for people they can control who are fresh-faced out of your typical four year university. I can pretty safely say that most people going to WGU are either mid-career or mid-life and either looking to change fields completely or just fill a checkbox. Neither of these demographics are going to be worried about an employer who focuses on a GPA.

You have CLEARLY missed the point of my post.
    Or Perhaps, i did a crappy job of conveying the point :]

I am planning to get a Master's in IT so that i can teach at the University/Community-College level.
    Unfortunately, i have learned that many Brick & Mortar instituitions have "rolled their eyes" at teaching candidates with WGU-type transcripts. (ie, NO letter grades, and NO g.p.a.)

Thus, in my case, i will have to look for other instituitions.
    With that being said....i largely AGREE with your post :]
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    If you're looking at self-paced flex type options, University of Wisconsin has one too: Information Science and Technology Degree - UW Flexible Option
    Thanks for the knowledge!
    $2,250 per 3 months.
    The rate seems comparable to CApella... except that:
    Capella is FOR-PROFIT (and should be AVOIDED),
    UWisconsin is a traditional NON-Profit institution.

Unfortunately for me, they dont offer any MASTERS degrees within their Flex.

Lastly,
    Bpassey MAY be self-promoting.... but at least he/she fully disclosed as much.
    lol