Options

Please help me create a project roadmap

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys!!

When I started working for my company a year ago I felt that the IT department was way behind the times and needed to be improved. Everything was being done pretty much manually, from inventory to daily tasks and technicians were used to day-to-day routine work. Since then I was able to make some improvements and have grown into a Sys Admin for a Desktop Support team. I am now in charge of creating, working on, and overseeing projects to improve the IT department.

So far I was able to:

1. Create MDT server to deploy Windows images over the network. I have also created external hard drives for the techs who need to deploy images offline when needed.
2. Configure and deploy Print server to automate print driver installs.
3. Configure and deploy WSUS to push updates
4. I am in the process of configuring and deploying SCCM in our environment

Between our 4 technicians I delegated some projects/tasks between them:
Tech 1: Create and test Windows 7/Windows 10 images
Tech 2. Create and test MAC images and be able to deploy images locally using DeployStudio
Tech 3. Configure, test and deploy Symantec AntiVirus Server. Eventually take over WSUS server
Tech 4. Test Mac OS X Server, specifically focusing on pushing Apple updates and configuring it as a Print Server

We don't have roaming profiles and I will ask Tech 1 eventually to help me test USMT with MDT to automate profile backing up/restoring to help with the imaging process.

Meanwhile, I will focus on on configuring and deploying SCCM. We will use most SCCM features: pushing images created by Tech 1, collecting inventory and hopefully figure out a good inventory management system, pushing software to end users, remote control.

In the future I would like to incorporate some MDM solution since we also support mobile devices, as well as hopefully focus on virtualization/cloud.

My supervisor has asked me today to create a clear roadmap for all of my current and future planned projects and I've really no idea what to come up with. I think I'm just coming up with ideas as a I go, most of them were just things I saw other IT departments do in my other jobs and trying to bring them over. Could you guys help me to come up with a clear plan or give some advice on how I should proceed?