Options

How many hours a week do you work?

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm going to a Linux Sys Administrator interview tomorrow. Today, the recruiter called because I had a query about hours. Apparently the role is 8am-5pm and other weeks it might be 9am-6pm. This seems like a long working week (with an hour for lunch, so it's a 40 hour week)

How many hours per week do you work? Would you consider hours like this?

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do 9-5:30 . I would consider it if the job pays well and I enjoy what i'm working on a daily basis.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    A 40 hour week is about the norm for private sector jobs like this - public sector / government jobs are more likely to be 35 hours but they pay proportionally less on average.

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    si20 wrote: »
    I'm going to a Linux Sys Administrator interview tomorrow. Today, the recruiter called because I had a query about hours. Apparently the role is 8am-5pm and other weeks it might be 9am-6pm. This seems like a long working week (with an hour for lunch, so it's a 40 hour week)

How many hours per week do you work? Would you consider hours like this?
    40 Hours is the normal in US, not sure what the number is in Europe and UK but if you say thats too much then clearly the number might be lower. US however normal week hour is 40, 8 hours per day X 5 days a week = 40 hours. This includes 30 minute lunch break, some companies though do allow their employees 1 hour break, bringing the total hours of work down to 37.5 hours. Overtime though is considered any hours over 40. For example if 4 days a week you worked 8 hours with 1 hour lunch(7.5 x 4) and the 5th day you worked 9 hours, you will not get paid OT because it's not over 40 hours.
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    56, but that's mandated by contract.
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    40 with a Friday off
    Week 1: 7-4 Mon-Thu (Friday Off)
    Week 2: 7-4 Mon-Thu (7-3 Friday)
    Basically 8 Nine-Hour Days, 1 Eight-Hour day, 1 day off every 2 weeks.
    I'm a cybersecurity analyst for a Gov Contractor.
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    40 hours a week. On call weekends every once in awhile, but in my line of work security being "on call" doesn't amount to any work for us
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    40 hours here, standard work week
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I think I have the sweetest schedule you could get. I work 7 AM - 2:45 PM and I do not have to record my lunch. I work a straight 7.75 hours a day. It was something I negotiated. If you take my lunch out I work 7.45 hours a day. I always tell folks negotiate everything and not just the salary. Maybe the salary is a little low then ask them to adjust your work week to compensate. I also get more vacation and sick time that way so I record 7.75 hours of vacation or sick. Figure it up a 1/4 hour does not sound like a lot but that is 1.25 hours a week difference and we work all 52 weeks in a year excluding holidays and vacation. It really adds up fast. Some companies will jump all over the lower hours to save a couple of thousand a year. I work no overtime or on call either that was part of the deal. If I do have to work over then I adjust the next day for it. Work 4 hours more one day then I work 4 hours less the next.
  • Options
    whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    80hours a week minimal. I have two jobs one job 8am-about 430/5pm the next job is from 10pm-630am.I sleep between jobs when I am not driving back and forth and on breaks.I personally know two people (not me) making over 200K a year with that technique. You have to make a small sacrifice for a big reward. I seen an article a few weeks ago about people who only need 4hrs of sleep at night. I guess either I am one of those people or I am making myself one of those people.

In the N. Virginia/DC area doing such is definitely possible if you're more in the Med-Senior role. It might be hard finding a 100K a year Help Desk Role. This is actually my second time working two jobs. The first time was a 12hr night on Quantico the second a day job was on Ft. Belvoir. I want to work hard now, so I live easy in 30 years. ...but that's just me
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    About 35
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work 8-5...not really that strange.
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    whiteskies wrote: »
    80hours a week minimal. I have two jobs one job 8am-about 430/5pm the next job is from 10pm-630am.I sleep between jobs when I am not driving back and forth and on breaks.I personally know two people (not me) making over 200K a year with that technique. You have to make a small sacrifice for a big reward. I seen an article a few weeks ago about people who only need 4hrs of sleep at night. I guess either I am one of those people or I am making myself one of those people.

In the N. Virginia/DC area doing such is definitely possible if you're more in the Med-Senior role. It might be hard finding a 100K a year Help Desk Role. This is actually my second time working two jobs. The first time was a 12hr night on Quantico the second a day job was on Ft. Belvoir. I want to work hard now, so I live easy in 30 years. ...but that's just me

Seems like a good financial strategy. Are you still able to take vacation?
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    40 with a Friday off
    I'm a cybersecurity analyst for a Gov Contractor.

Lot of guys in my office do that here on base. I cant do FLEX since I am hourly but its a sweet deal.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I work 7:30 - 4. Once or twice a month, work until 7pm for updates/change requests to servers.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    40 hours. M-F, same shift every day. Once in a while I'll work 6 days, but it's ultimately voluntary.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    exactly 40, almost never get overtime
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Usually 45 hours.
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL.. 40 hours is long now? Sheesh.

I work at least 72 hours a week. Pretty close to 80 on most weeks.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Seems like a good financial strategy. Are you still able to take vacation?

Being that I am a Sub Contractor (for both) and one of them is 6 month contract to hire, yes. I went to the Dominican Republic for a few days over New Years. One job is a 24/7 and I only work Sunday-Thursday. Which is a great, I have weekends off. The other one the contract to hire position I only get paid when I am at work, no leave days whatsoever (I negotiated an extra $5 an hour for that outrageous commitment). So taking off isn't really a big deal to the Company/My Boss since they know I get 0 days a year paid. Even when Christmas/New Years was here and people were off getting paid. I was off........loosing money. I can't complain though.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    40-45 hrs/week on average
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    josh.armentrout1josh.armentrout1 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    About 50 hours. Give or take a few. Just depends on what's going on.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Probably around ~30 on an average week. More when needed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    40 - 46. I put in OT by choice.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    40 with a Friday off

9-5/4

Same here, except my lunch is unpaid. So I work 0700-1630 except for my short Friday.

I also get 3hrs (in 1hr sessions) of paid leave to go to the gym per week.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    40 hours a week for me on average. Maybe a bit more or less depending on what projects I'm working on but I'm salaried so it doesn't impact my income.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    9-3 M-F and whatever is needed after hours but I'm on call all the time and telecommuting right now. I average maybe 32 hours a week, I'm salaried. I also have 4 weeks of PTO and 12 holidays I'd be surprised if I put in 1500 hours this year. Work to live!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    37.5 hours per week
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    advanex1 wrote: »
    LOL.. 40 hours is long now? Sheesh.

I work at least 72 hours a week. Pretty close to 80 on most weeks.

I'm curious, why? If you're working double the standard hours you're either grossly understaffed, not very efficient or they're paying you more than double a normal salary.
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It was me poking fun. I'm in the military, that's why :)
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I work 44 hours over an 8 day period (shift)