Options

Virtual machines

greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
Which virtual machines do you currently use and why do you use them?
:
Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.

Comments

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    At home or at work? At work, pretty much anything that doesn't require a physical card (ie dialogic cards, etc) is virtualized.

Home lab has (though they're rarely all running at same time):
    VCSA
    Windows 2012 box

Then all of my training/testing/study VMs
    Nexus 1000v (VSM)
    vMX
    Firefly
    Data Ontap Cluster Mode Simulator
    VNX Simulator
    F5 BigIP Virtual Edition
    Virtually Ghetto VSAN appliance, 3 node
    UCS Platform Emulator
    Probably something else I'm forgetting
  • Options
    The study vms that I Plan to run are:
    Exchange 2013
    windows server 2012
    Hyper v
    Fog imaging server &
    Esxi, Vcenter for vmware
    windows 7
    windows xp
    windows 10
    linux
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    InfOutInfOut Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RHEL7
    F5 BigIP VE
    XP
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Haven't turned on my lab for a couple of weeks due to work commitments again. So, off the top of my head.

AD (2008r2)
    VCSA 6.0
    XP Desktop
    Ubuntu server

I did have NSX installed, but have since removed.

That's it for the moment as I had been testing out a few different OS' here and there, but since removed.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My homelab runs the following VMs:
    - IncrediblePBX
    - pfsense
    - Ubuntu desktop
    - Ubuntu Server
    - CentOS
    - A few Win 7
    - XP
    - Security Onion
    - Kali
    - A few vulnerable VMs
    - Windows stuff (ADs, Exchange, File/Print, etc.) primarily dormant as I've been out of the Microsoft game fro a while.

I'm actually planning a lab revamp project so this should shrink a bit.
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Server 2012r2 level domain with:
    Hyper-V
    A couple of Domain Controllers
    Active Directory Certificate Services
    DHCP
    Windows Distribution Services Server

Heavy 2012r2 focus while I work though the 411 and I'll go to VMM while I tackle the 409. Then it's over to ESXi as the primary environment. For me it's all about learning the services, picking apart the replication processes, and configuring and maintaining a Microsoft infrastructure. (For now!)
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    Server 2012r2 level domain with:
    Hyper-V
    A couple of Domain Controllers
    Active Directory Certificate Services
    DHCP
    Windows Distribution Services Server

Heavy 2012r2 focus while I work though the 411 and I'll go to VMM while I tackle the 409. Then it's over to ESXi as the primary environment. For me it's all about learning the services, picking apart the replication processes, and configuring and maintaining a Microsoft infrastructure. (For now!)

I am going to run windows server 2012 for the same reason. Plus its what my work environment uses. 2012 and hyper v.
    :

• Options
    Chris_WessChris_Wess Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use VirtualBox as it is extremely easy to use even by a new Linux user. The main features and functionalities that can be easily accessed without any hard-core technical knowledge. Its biggest advantage is its cross platform support, open source. Install virtualbox on Linux, windows, and Mac OS X.