Options

State of the job market in 2016

metalone4metalone4 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
In past years, while I was still employed, I heard about how terrible the job market was. People used to say to plan to be out of work for at least 6 months if you lost your job... the norm was more like 2 years though. I've since read that the job market and the economy in general is not as bad as it used to be. IT jobs in particular are supposedly in higher demand this year too. Is it safe to say that someone can find a job quicker this year than say 2-3 years ago?

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    It's all about who you know, your skill set and how hard you hustle. I got let go right when the recession hit and had a job in a week because I called every company in the United States that did the kind of work I do and told them they needed to hire me because I could make them money.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's definitely looking better!! You can do it icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the IT job market is strong right now. Every recruiter I've talked to tell me they can't find enough skilled people for companies.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where I work we have hundreds of job openings in IT. Our competitors also have hundreds of job openings. This would be Metro Detroit. Not counting the thousands open in IT across the board. Michigan has a lot of open positions right now. I have recruiters asking If I know someone with a certain skillset. Heck, even a VP from Robert Half sent me an email asking me if I or someone I know fit a certain profile
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Its the entry level has the most applicants and could be a bit difficult to get into depending on your goals. Those who are open to starting with Helpdesk and moving upwards should be able to find positions. While the economy is adding jobs, people are also bowing out of the labor force in record numbers (93 million according to a recent report). So unless you're completely giving up on working - things look alright.
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    sj4088 wrote: »
    I think the IT job market is strong right now. Every recruiter I've talked to tell me they can't find enough skilled people for companies.

This right here.

We are trying to fill 2 support roles here at my company. We have been interviewing for almost 6 weeks now. Many of the resumes coming in don't have the best skill set, but even those applicants seem to be "exaggerating" their resumes. We had one guy who didn't know what a domain was in the face to face interview.

Right now there are a good amount of roles up for grabs out there. Me and the boss are interviewing 2 more people today.

Of course this is the NYC Market. I can't speak for the rest of the states.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    It depends where you live, of course. I have been looking for a job in my area for about 9 months now and I got nothing.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    metalone4metalone4 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all, my situation doesn't seem so grim now...I feel much better!
  • Options
    FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VinnyCisco wrote: »
    This right here.

We are trying to fill 2 support roles here at my company. We have been interviewing for almost 6 weeks now. Many of the resumes coming in don't have the best skill set, but even those applicants seem to be "exaggerating" their resumes. We had one guy who didn't know what a domain was in the face to face interview.

Right now there are a good amount of roles up for grabs out there. Me and the boss are interviewing 2 more people today.

Of course this is the NYC Market. I can't speak for the rest of the states.

If you don't minf me asking are the support roles entry level or senior level positions. Just curious to know cause I'm actually looking for a support role and I'm in the NYC area.
  • Options
    InfOutInfOut Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    metalone4 wrote: »
    In past years, while I was still employed, I heard about how terrible the job market was. People used to say to plan to be out of work for at least 6 months if you lost your job... the norm was more like 2 years though. I've since read that the job market and the economy in general is not as bad as it used to be. IT jobs in particular are supposedly in higher demand this year too. Is it safe to say that someone can find a job quicker this year than say 2-3 years ago?
    Yes [From Ind]

When i was searching for job in past like nearly 2yrs it is pretty bad compared to now
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Fayz - Senior Level Support. Able to be comfortable with users in a financial environment, and great troubleshooting skills. Should know how to get around a network in a couple of weeks time, and then be able to work with little supervision.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look on linkedin, indeed, glassdoor, simplyhired, etc. Do searches for jobs you're qualified for and interested in in your area. If your area doesn't have many opportunities, consider relocating. Depending on the job, some areas are wayyyyy better than others.

Build your skillset and your resume to fill deep (not necessarily wide) gaps in the labor market.
  • Options
    jofas88jofas88 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2-3 years ago I was sending out numerous resumes a week trying to land a job. Now, I get contacted numerous times a week with job offers. Could be due to increased experience, but I feel the market is definitely stronger. Get on LinkedIn, I haven't regretted it.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    There is multiple things that factor into this.

2 years ago it was rough. I agree with the others. I've hit the experience level now though that people are now reaching out to me rather than me reaching out to them.

Chicago the market is booming. Big time. Even in the burbs (close to the city)
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My last job search, I simply posted an updated resume on linkedin and showed that I was available, and recruiters swarmed. The only job application I filled out was for the job I took, and by then they were already sending an offer letter.

I get no fewer than 3 unsolicited contacts from recruiters every week. I feel very fortunate to be in this position. I know how miserable and stressful it is to be out of work and have no idea when you'll see another paycheck. Good luck to those who are job hunting, stay positive and focused and you'll be back to work before you know it.