Options

Started studying for Security+

thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
I decided to study for the Security+. I went with the David L. Prowse cert guide that is published by Pearson. I couldn't find the other one that was highly recommended(Darrel Gibson I think?) and I didn't want to order it online and have to wait for it to arrive.

I was thinking about buying the Certmaster combo to get access to a free retake. I'm kind of toying around with the idea of reading through the book once doing a light review and taking the test and seeing if I pass.

Anyone ever use the "free" retake that comes with the package even when they didn't use the certmaster product to study?

Comments

• Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Darril Gibson Security+ study guide is available for download. Instant gratification!

Re: free retake, no. Security+ is the kind of exam that you can self-study for and pass the first time. I would take as many practice tests as you can.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know, another retake for an extra $75 sounds better than potentially failing and having to fork out another $311 to retest. It's nice to have that security blanket in order to pull the trigger and take the test instead of endlessly studying and never feeling ready to take the test.

I think I'll stick with what I have now, finish it, and do some practice tests to decide whether I need more material. I prefer hard copying books when studying, but I will use ebooks on my phone to study should I happen to have some down time.
  • Options
    mstd0nmstd0n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can look at it as a waste of $75 if you pass it first try or save $236 if you don't. Either way it is your money and your choice, go with your gut.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually bought the bundle with extra retake and passed on the first time. I still think it is a good deal and would buy it again... I actually took the test when I only read half of Gibson's book. Was kind of just going in to the test thinking I would just get a good idea of the test and ended up passing. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    techchanztechchanz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought the extra retake package for my network+ and was glad I did, because my first attempt I didnt get enough sleep and didnt finish the exam and failed lol. But I passed it today on my 2nd attempt. So I just bought the deluxe package for security+ and it comes with the certmaster anyway, more materials the better :)